• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Best benzo for sleep

get_lo

Greenlighter
Hello all! I've been currently having sleeping problems (again). I'm having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep and these past few days, I've only gotten about 6 hours of sleep. Right now, I'm prescribed Klonopin 1mg twice a day and I know its not really for sleeping. Any benzo "isn't" but I've stated before Klonopin just doesn't help me like valium or Xanax did. I hate sleeping meds like Ambien. So, in your experience, which benzo has helped you get a good night's sleep? any answers...thank you in advance!:D

I was on Temazepam for a couple of months, started off at 7.5mg and slowly worked my way up to 30mg as needed. The thing with Alprazolam (Xanax) is that it is quick acting. The Xanax will help you fall asleep more easily than anything, I'm prescribed 2mg bars to take once daily for anxiety, and I end up taking a nap a majority of the time. The Temazepam is made to specifically combat insomnia, so not only should it help you fall asleep but it should help you stay asleep longer as well.

Just be careful using benzodiazepines for sleep. With daily, consistent use of benzos, your receptors are going to wear out easier, making the withdrawals from them stretch out over time. Why jump straight into benzos though? Have you tried any other medications that don't necessarily have to be prescribed, such as OTC Melatonin? If benzos seem to be the only option, just make sure you aren't relying on them every night to fall asleep. Your receptors will be gracious for the few days break in between. I wish you the best of luck, coming from someone who also suffers from insomnia as well.

P.S; If insomnia is too bad, medications can be prescribed together to combat not sleeping if monitered very closely. For example, someone can be on Ambien as well as Trazodone for sleep. You have a variety of options.

My doc gives me valium for sleep as I too have insomnia but the valium helps a lot. Xanax is a close second. Please don't get ambien, I was on it for a while and it worked great until I started sleep driving, ended up at a bar 13 miles from my house that I had no idea how I got there and ended up taking out a couple stop signs. That's one medication I will never touch again. It is not worth it IMHO. Best of luck to you and I hope you find something that helps you.

Dalmane 30mg are the strongest benzo for sleep, only problem is the hangover in the morning when you wake up, if you wake up lol, Google flurazepam, hope I got the spelling right lol, :)

I was on that for a month but never did anything for me but everyone is different.
I've been taking them for years..as needed in the beginning then daily for around a year now back to as needed. As with any benzo, regular use will cause them to lose some of their effectiveness but even after all this time taking them they still do the job...just on a lesser scale. :)

I was on Temazepam for a couple of months, started off at 7.5mg and slowly worked my way up to 30mg as needed. The thing with Alprazolam (Xanax) is that it is quick acting. The Xanax will help you fall asleep more easily than anything, I'm prescribed 2mg bars to take once daily for anxiety, and I end up taking a nap a majority of the time. The Temazepam is made to specifically combat insomnia, so not only should it help you fall asleep but it should help you stay asleep longer as well.

Just be careful using benzodiazepines for sleep. With daily, consistent use of benzos, your receptors are going to wear out easier, making the withdrawals from them stretch out over time. Why jump straight into benzos though? Have you tried any other medications that don't necessarily have to be prescribed, such as OTC Melatonin? If benzos seem to be the only option, just make sure you aren't relying on them every night to fall asleep. Your receptors will be gracious for the few days break in between. I wish you the best of luck, coming from someone who also suffers from insomnia as well.

P.S; If insomnia is too bad, medications can be prescribed together to combat not sleeping if monitered very closely. For example, someone can be on Ambien as well as Trazodone for sleep. You have a variety of options.
Well...I'm seeing a new dr tomorrow so hopefully he'll put me back on Valium but yes I've been prescribed ambien once upon a time and I didn't have a good experience with it! Trazadone gives me migraines and maybe I should get melatonin again. It didn't always work for me, but sometimes it did and sometimes is better than nothing! :)
Thanks for your advice!

Dalmane 30mg are the strongest benzo for sleep, only problem is the hangover in the morning when you wake up, if you wake up lol, Google flurazepam, hope I got the spelling right lol, :)

Def. will be checking that out as well. Going to see a new Dr tomorrow, so hopefully it all goes well! Thank you for your input!

My doc gives me valium for sleep as I too have insomnia but the valium helps a lot. Xanax is a close second. Please don't get ambien, I was on it for a while and it worked great until I started sleep driving, ended up at a bar 13 miles from my house that I had no idea how I got there and ended up taking out a couple stop signs. That's one medication I will never touch again. It is not worth it IMHO. Best of luck to you and I hope you find something that helps you.
Same here.....valium first...Xanax 2nd. I HATE Ambien. I was always "sleep driving" on that shit. I don't know how I didn't end up in fucking jail. Thank you for your input, hoping this new dr puts me back on Valium. These klonopins just aren't cutting it.

Yeah valium was always the best for me as far as my quality of life in general and helped me fall asleep much easier than klonopin which I am currently taking but have a massive benzo tolerance and kpins don't work like they once did for me. For a while at my old doc I would just bounce around every 6 months to try different benzos he was really cool about prescribing benzos, my current doc only prescribes klonopin for anxiety/insomnia and I think she prescribes Ativan to people who have less general anxiety and more panic attacks but Ativan sucks ass as far as benzos go IMO. I took like 10mg of Ativan when I just started taking benzos and felt barely anything at all and haven't messed with it since. Also try OTC sleep meds with the klonopin, that is what I do these days to fall asleep, take a kpin then I take either melatonin or diphenhydramine sleepinal capsules, they both work awesome for me.

Yeah valium was always the best for me as far as my quality of life in general and helped me fall asleep much easier than klonopin which I am currently taking but have a massive benzo tolerance and kpins don't work like they once did for me. For a while at my old doc I would just bounce around every 6 months to try different benzos he was really cool about prescribing benzos, my current doc only prescribes klonopin for anxiety/insomnia and I think she prescribes Ativan to people who have less general anxiety and more panic attacks but Ativan sucks ass as far as benzos go IMO. I took like 10mg of Ativan when I just started taking benzos and felt barely anything at all and haven't messed with it since. Also try OTC sleep meds with the klonopin, that is what I do these days to fall asleep, take a kpin then I take either melatonin or diphenhydramine sleepinal capsules, they both work awesome for me.
Same here, I've been getting prescribed benzos for like 11 years now and about 6 years ago, kpins actually helped me, then I was switched to six mg of Xanax a day for a few years, then last year I finally talked my dr into prescribing me Valium. Valium is literally a life saver. Ativan does suck..i have to agree with you on that one! And thanks...i'll keep that in mind about the OTC meds :)

exercise/mid-day-sex (protected) is the best benzo for sleep.

Last edited:
Temazepam never really did anything for me, I'd go for diazepam over that. ...But I'd choose weed first.

Temazepam never really did anything for me, I'd go for diazepam over that. ...But I'd choose weed first.
Yeah, I like my dro, its just my dealer has been out of town for a few days and that helps me more than anything tbh

i've heard lorazepam is mainly rx'd for sleep, i was given a shit load of temaz in hospital but they didn't make me sleep.