• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Best antidepressant for Social Anxiety

pally pete

Bluelighter
Thread title pretty much says it all...

Any thoughts please fellow Bluelighters?

Thanks.

Hello,

I'm sorry, as I'm sure this is not what you want to hear, but I hope you're well informed about antidepressants being used in the long-term, and even in the short.
They just don't really work that great. I don't think it's a good idea to start taking pills, or one day sooner than later you won't be able to function without the pills. It's a devil's circle really, in which you just need more meds to further unscrew what you did by taking antidepressants in the first place

What's so great about people anyways?

This is not always the outcome, but often enough, so choose wisely. Maybe try meditation techniques, before you bombard yourself with drugs. That would be my advice. Try eating healthier too, and drink more multivitamin juice. Why is it always drugs drugs drugs with you ppl? :rolleyes:

You are going to have to do some shopping, nobody but you knows how they will make you feel. That being said fluoxetine does increase gabargic neurosteroid production in the brain which gives it an edge against anxiety over other ssris. That being said, I know somebody who prozac made horribly anxious, so again, your mileage will (not may) vary.

Perhaps mirtazapine?
You are going to have to do some shopping, nobody but you knows how they will make you feel. That being said fluoxetine does increase gabargic neurosteroid production in the brain which gives it an edge against anxiety over other ssris. That being said, I know somebody who prozac made horribly anxious, so again, your mileage will (not may) vary.
Since 2011 I have tried Citalopram, Sertraline, Venlafaxine, Fluoxetine, Duloxetine, Vortioxetine. I have also been on low-dose (25 mg) Amitriptyline used as a prophylactic for cluster headaches (didn't work) as well as Carbamazepine, Phenytoin, Sodium Valproate, Verapamil (which I didn't start the course)

They have also tried me on some of the atypical antipsychotics - Quetiapine, Olanzapine, Risperidone (which raised my prolactin levels very high and made me extremely ill) Aripiprazole was prescribed but never taken.

The quandry I find myself in, is that I suffer cluster headaches (suicide headaches) and the abortative treatment I use are Subcutaneous Sumatriptan injections - which are very effective. Being a serotonergic, there is a high risk of serotonin syndrome if used alongside pretty much all antidepressants.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

Any suggestions welcome.

EDIT: I did have some joy with Fluoxetine - less rumination, better concentration, slightly less social anxiety... But unfortunately had a mild case of serotonin syndrome when I had to use the Sumatriptan, so discontinued.

Last edited:
Perhaps mirtazapine?
Tbh this is the only antidepressant I have any interest in these days. Gonna ask for it next time.

To answer OP I've never in my life found a non-addictive and effective anxiolytic other than exercise. Slightly pessimistic about it, but that is my experience.

Tbh this is the only antidepressant I have any interest in these days. Gonna ask for it next time.

To answer OP I've never in my life found a non-addictive and effective anxiolytic other than exercise. Slightly pessimistic about it, but that is my experience.
Mirtazapine is may what I ask to go on. My psychiatrist has suggested it to me before. I understand out of most of the antidepressants available - Mirtazapine has a lower risk of causing serotonin syndrome.

As for exercise: I've ridden a push bike 10 miles everyday since 2004 and it has not lifted my depression. I also have always eaten a well balanced healthy diet, gotten plenty of sunshine etc... My crippling social anxiety unfortunately persists.

Thanks for your reply and advice :)

As for exercise: I've ridden a push bike 10 miles everyday since 2004 and it has not lifted my depression. I also have always eaten a well balanced healthy diet, gotten plenty of sunshine etc... My crippling social anxiety unfortunately persists.
Well the body does adjust. Have you not kept pushing the limits? I'm talking about high intensity exercise. Above the comfort zone.

The ONLY non-chemical anxiety fix I know is running 5 miles to exhaustion. It is very effective for controlling anxiety. HIIT.

Moclobemide is rumored to have specific efficacy for that it you can access it, but it you can only do so on the grey market (as you will if you are in the US) you'll have to be very careful and do your research. An exceedingly rare few US-based doctors will actually write prescriptions to Canda-based pharmacies and monitor use, though. just read about the sumitriptan...

Otherwise the best might be Paxil which is known to be one of the better conventional antidepressants for anxiety. But really the best one is the one that your doctor will actually prescribe, in combination with ongoing monitoring and probably CBT as well.

Well the body does adjust. Have you not kept pushing the limits? I'm talking about high intensity exercise. Above the comfort zone.

The ONLY non-chemical anxiety fix I know is running 5 miles to exhaustion. It is very effective for controlling anxiety. HIIT.
At the moment my physical health is not great (that's another story) so as soon as I'm back to good physical health - I will look into high intensity workouts.

Thanks again.

At the moment my physical health is not great (that's another story) so as soon as I'm back to good physical health - I will look into high intensity workouts.

Thanks again.
Runner's high is a very real thing. Quite euphoric. I love it. Taking a nap after running 10 miles feels like nodding on heroin to me.

Moclobemide is rumored to have specific efficacy for that it you can access it, but it you can only do so on the grey market (as you will if you are in the US) you'll have to be very careful and do your research. An exceedingly rare few US-based doctors will actually write prescriptions to Canda-based pharmacies and monitor use, though. just read about the sumitriptan...

Otherwise the best might be Paxil which is known to be one of the better conventional antidepressants for anxiety. But really the best one is the one that your doctor will actually prescribe, in combination with ongoing monitoring and probably CBT as well.
Yeah, Paroxetine is one of the antidepressants that I've never tried, nor has any GP or Psychiatrist even suggested it. Quite surprising considering it's considered a first-line SSRI for anxiety/depression???

Tried CBT which was useless. Have been told I probably need something like DBT to dig a little deeper...

Thanks.

When I drink beer I'm totally social and some how know how to talk to girls.

But only when I'm drunk

Mirtazapine is may what I ask to go on. My psychiatrist has suggested it to me before. I understand out of most of the antidepressants available - Mirtazapine has a lower risk of causing serotonin syndrome.

Thanks for your reply and advice :)

It not only has a lower risk, it can actually reduce the risk. In fact as an antiserotonergic it can even treat serotonin syndrome in a pinch. I used to take giant doses of MDMA and mirtazapine largely in attempt to get around mirtazapine's serotonin blocking effect (I was prescribed mirtazapine at the time).

I would definitely go for mirtazapine. It has some pretty noticeable anxiolytic properties that can occur in as soon as a week. Mirtazapine takes some getting used to but I liked it.

It not only has a lower risk, it can actually reduce the risk. In fact as an antiserotonergic it can even treat serotonin syndrome in a pinch. I used to take giant doses of MDMA and mirtazapine largely in attempt to get around mirtazapine's serotonin blocking effect (I was prescribed mirtazapine at the time).

I would definitely go for mirtazapine. It has some pretty noticeable anxiolytic properties that can occur in as soon as a week. Mirtazapine takes some getting used to but I liked it.
That's very interesting. Thanks.

I have just this very minute emailed my psychiatrist asking to be put on mirttazapine. It shouldn't be too difficult as I could even just contact my local GP who has it on record the prior recommendation from my Psychiatrist for me to start taking Mirtazapine - so I may ring my GP tomorrow to make a request.

Could I ask what dose you were taking? i know it can be very dose dependent... 15 mg or less is supposed to be just effective for sleep inducing.. Upwards of that (up to the max 45 mg) is where the real anti anxiety/depression properties kick in I've been told...

How exactly did it help you? More with the major depression/suicidal ideation? Or with the severe social phobia/anxiety/agoraphobia? Did it have much effect on symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder (which my shrink thinks I have)

I took it for anxiety mostly, at 60mg a day. That is higher than is typical. I once even had a pharmacist refuse to fill it despite mirtazapine not being dangerous or abusable (I even asked the guy sarcastically, "so where did you go to medical school" given that he was a pharmacist and not a physician).

Hard to say why i even took it. I was on a wide host of psychiatric medications (3 different benzos, 60mg/day mirtazapine, 900mg/day pregabalin, 40mg of focalin and a large methylphenidate patch -- the latter two I'd snort and chew). I felt better once i stopped all of it.

But as far as mirtazapine; it definitely feels quite anxiolytic. I've taken many different antidepressants but mirtazapine was the most anxiolytic in my experience. I have never taken Paxil however which is supposed to be quite anxiolytic.

I like your advice here. Sports are a wonderful way to get your daily buzz.
But I think OP is really just straight looking for drugs, nothing else.

Although the Sports will actually help in the longterm,
where antidepressants will make things (most likely) worse in the longterm.

I've never seen a truly successful case of antidepressants being used (especially longterm),
just do some sports, eat healthier, drink healthier, most of the time depression is much more about body-chemistry than one would assume. People sit in their homes all day, eating nothing but fatty shit with extra syrup on top, play games all day and sit down at work, then wonder why they are depressed.
It's a mystery.

I felt better once i stopped all of it.

I like your advice here. Sports are a wonderful way to get your daily buzz.
But I think OP is really just straight looking for drugs, nothing else.

Although the Sports will actually help in the longterm,
where antidepressants will make things (most likely) worse in the longterm.

I've never seen a truly successful case of antidepressants being used (especially longterm),
just do some sports, eat healthier, drink healthier, most of the time depression is much more about body-chemistry than one would assume. People sit in their homes all day, eating nothing but fatty shit with extra syrup on top, play games all day and sit down at work, then wonder why they are depressed.
It's a mystery.
I'd also agree and always hated antidepressants. Nothing but side effects for me. Placebo can be powerful in some cases.

I don't even have the option to take SSRIs anymore after tryptamine abuse, not that I'd want to.