• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Benztropine for the treatment of intractable hiccups

Changa707

Bluelighter
Greetings fellow Greenlighters, Bluelighters, & Lurkers!

I recently acquired 2 mg of benztropine (scored 4 X 0.5 mg) which I am hesitant to use, but thinking of trying 0.5 mg along with some opioid, because I am interested in experiencing Twilight Sleep'. Anyhow, I am a frequent Opioid user (3 times a week), though I typically only use Codeine these days because oxycodone withdrawals are more unpleasant than Codeine w/d's which are virtually non-existent in my experience (I take roughly 100 mg codeine at once MAXIMUM.

So as many of you probably know, opiate drug use is know to cause Hiccups...no body likes Hiccups right? Well, it turns out that benztropine has some potential to treat intractable hiccups..and I imagine it has less side effects than haloperidol, chlorpromazine, and nebulized lidocaine (which are all anecdotal treatments for intractable hiccups).

Anyhow, here is the article http://cjem-online.ca/sites/default/files/pg205.pdf

If anyone out there suffers hiccups from opiate use, benztropine might be worth looking at. I am going to try and save my 2 mg pill of benztropine for a day where I have hiccups, though it's actually quite rare for me (but I have found oxycodone to be the most likely to produce hiccups).

Please share any thoughts, experiences, opinions...I will make sure to share the results of my self-experiment next time I get the hiccups!

Cheers

There is always digital rectal massage if you want to do some self experimentation

It's an antihistamine, so it'll potentiate any opioid you take it with. Its primary mechanism of action seems to be anticholinergic, which makes me wonder if it's really likely to be any more effective than, say, diphenhydramine.

I thought you were pulling my leg there for a second...but it turns out digital rectal massage is a treatment for intractable hiccups...who'd of thought? That just made my day.

I have never met anyone who has experienced intractable hiccups, seems to be one of those things that no one really gets...and i'm thankful for that, because i'd hate to be on a diet of anticholingerics, antispsychotics, and digital rectal massages. (plus it's experimental still right? I don't think there is a known cure for this so called intractable hiccups?)

Peace