• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos

hesus popescu

Bluelighter
Hello Guys, I haven't been active in 3 years. I'm currently still doing benzos, but not on a daily basis as i did 3 years ago, but I do have somewhat good news for the people that go cold turkey on benzos, which, unfortunately is a problem for most of us.
I personally think, (maybe most of you already know this), the key to Not go cold turkey on benzos is to Switch the substance that you use, at least every, 2 or 3 weeks with another benzo.
I, myself have been using different types of benzos almost everyday for THREE years, and never got cold turkey, or any type of physical dependence, except psychological, of course because I really like them because it helps with my depression, so the fact is that, if you do lets say diazepam one day, or one week, its clever to switch it with any other benzo the next week, and so on. So the conclusion is: DONT TAKE THE SAME BENZO OVER AND OVER, Be clever and just switch it to another one, this way, your GABA receptors won't get used with the same substance. i know They all act on GABA, but every benzo just messes with different GABA receptors. Thanks to this switching between benzos that i've been doing, i've never got cold turkey, not even a shaking hand or anything like that. i hope this information will help you to avoid getting cold turkey. Stay safe.

PS. If you want to combine benzos with alcohol, use ONLY BEER and only Alprazolam, Diazepam, Clonazepam and Bromazepam, also if you want to make the holy trinity thing like alcohol, weed and benzos is the perfect chill combo, if you don't exaggerate with the alcohol, of course.

i am not convinced that if the benzos were stopped that one wouldnt go through withdrawals. after three years of use and a sudden cessation there will undoubtedly be a reckoning, in my experience. the info posted just seems dangerous.
how long have you tried to refrain from benzo use?
<3

Different benzos indeed act on different subunits of the GABAA receptor complex but afaik most aren't selective enough to avoid dependence and withdrawal like 6am-64-14m already wrote. Three years are a long time, either you are just lucky or didn't refrain for long enough. Half life is a complex thing, as it's called it isn't the terminal elimination time and sometimes it takes multiple times that value until withdrawal sets in. For example with morphine it took until day 2-3 for withdrawal to manifest, what fooled me into thinking it wasn't so bad.

We're lucky to get diazepam from doctors now (Australia). I'm nearly out, but have been cutting it down a fair bit. Benzo cold turkey is just a fact of life for me. There are worse things 😊

We're lucky to get diazepam from doctors now (Australia). I'm nearly out, but have been cutting it down a fair bit. Benzo cold turkey is just a fact of life for me. There are worse things 😊
Guess it depends on what symptoms you get and how strong. Seizures are certainly nothing I want to experience again, neither are the panic attacks I got for weeks if not months after a cold turkey of 2-3mg of lorazepam daily over three months and this was probably nothing compared to how bad it can get. Hard benzo withdrawal can afaik kill if left untreated.

Weirdly I didn't get any wd when I got lorazepam again, more than ten years later and while on methadone and using dissociatives, I used only max 2mg per day and not every single day but also over the course of a few months, nothing happened when I ran out.

Guess it depends on what symptoms you get and how strong. Seizures are certainly nothing I want to experience again, neither are the panic attacks I got for weeks if not months after a cold turkey of 2-3mg of lorazepam daily over three months and this was probably nothing compared to how bad it can get. Hard benzo withdrawal can afaik kill if left untreated.

Weirdly I didn't get any wd when I got lorazepam again, more than ten years later and while on methadone and using dissociatives, I used only max 2mg per day and not every single day but also over the course of a few months, nothing happened when I ran out.

Yeah.. I've never had anything more than anxiety and insomnia. I've been on and off the things for 30 years now.

Last year I did lose it bc the doc cut me off nitrazepam 10mg without warning (so I started drinking and ended up in hospital). But if I'm psychologically ready for them to run out it's not so bad.

it took until day 2-3 for withdrawal to manifest
When dropping a heavy/daily benzo habit a few years ago (alprazolam mainly) for the first week I felt I was feeling better than I had in a long time. A couple days later that shit hit me like a train and rode that mf for at least 3-4 weeks... time was skewed. It was absolutely torture and not a very nice memory.
We all will have different experiences but every one who has proclaimed immunity from benzo withdrawals has without fail come back and reported that they finally went through it (some coming back weeks or months later after being released from hospital). There have been many who have contacted me through pm on this subject... the latest has been away from bl for quite some time and have been worried about him. He wanted to do a fast taper and I suggested otherwise and to take it slow.
This is where we were before he went dark:
"Update: I’ve aborted the ween off and gone cold turkey for almost a week now after I did something stupid the other night and got charged with a handful of offences"
"Do you think i should try get back on my ween off. After 6 days I think im getting worse."
He got back on the taper plan cause we discussed trying to stabilize on the lowest dose possible in the even he got jailed but do not know if he got locked up, in a hospital or both. No communications since Feb 7 but I see he dropped in on Feb 25. Looking back to the time of his joining it appears he came on for the same reason I did and asked very similar questions on arrival.
I just hope he is OK is all.
Posting this to maybe inspire people to recognize the possible pit-falls of heavy benzo use and to show that thinking we may be immune to benzo wd after a few days without can bite the fuck outta ya eventually.
Tapering this substance is crucial in my experience and opinion.

The way I see it, slow tapering, while challenging, is by far the most practical and comfortable method to discontinue a benzo "habit."
I always felt as though slowly dropping the dose, over weeks, is likely going to contribute to a far better experience and outcome. Even if you are only doing it to drop your tolerance and feel pretty good when you know the time is right for you to jump, it is preferable and again, practical so as to avoid just dropping them until you run out and go into panic mode. I am actually used to doing so and most often have a supply available once I have completed the process. It's one reason why I occasionally jump back on the wagon for a week or two, sometimes longer, knowing that I a), still have some put away, and b), have the will power to never run out. It is a vicious cycle, to a degree, but if you don't get nuts with them it makes it far easier, of course, and it is a demonstration to yourself that you have the willpower to pull it off. But at least I am never left in a panic...

Last edited:
Weird that it takes a full week for benzos (other than diazepam at least) abstinence symptoms to manifest.

What I am wondering is whether dissos / NMDAr antagonists are capable of some degree of protection against benzo withdrawal. In the end they are antiseizurogenic, strongly anxiolytic (if you respond that way at least, like I do, I prefer them to benzos) and a few other things which could be beneficial. Might be too good to be true as they already allow you to skip opioid withdrawal.. But I doubt it was the methadone that helped me not to get addicted to lorazepam the second time.

i am not convinced that if the benzos were stopped that one wouldnt go through withdrawals. after three years of use and a sudden cessation there will undoubtedly be a reckoning, in my experience. the info posted just seems dangerous.
<3
I agree

<3
There no free lunch…every addict knows this

Hello Guys, I haven't been active in 3 years. I'm currently still doing benzos, but not on a daily basis as i did 3 years ago, but I do have somewhat good news for the people that go cold turkey on benzos, which, unfortunately is a problem for most of us.
I personally think, (maybe most of you already know this), the key to Not go cold turkey on benzos is to Switch the substance that you use, at least every, 2 or 3 weeks with another benzo.
I, myself have been using different types of benzos almost everyday for THREE years, and never got cold turkey, or any type of physical dependence, except psychological, of course because I really like them because it helps with my depression, so the fact is that, if you do lets say diazepam one day, or one week, its clever to switch it with any other benzo the next week, and so on. So the conclusion is: DONT TAKE THE SAME BENZO OVER AND OVER, Be clever and just switch it to another one, this way, your GABA receptors won't get used with the same substance. i know They all act on GABA, but every benzo just messes with different GABA receptors. Thanks to this switching between benzos that i've been doing, i've never got cold turkey, not even a shaking hand or anything like that. i hope this information will help you to avoid getting cold turkey. Stay safe.

PS. If you want to combine benzos with alcohol, use ONLY BEER and only Alprazolam, Diazepam, Clonazepam and Bromazepam, also if you want to make the holy trinity thing like alcohol, weed and benzos is the perfect chill combo, if you don't exaggerate with the alcohol, of course.
I would be very careful giving out advice like this. Its great this works for you, but if this was the case for everyone it would be well known and recommended already. I, like many others here I imagine, have gone through benzo wd and its an awful experience. Tapering over a long period of times - several months - was what worked for me.