• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzo's in combination with Suboxone. How dangerous is it?

iSTONED

Bluelighter
I was put on sub treatment for opiode dependence. 16mg a day. 8 in the morning 8 at night. The treatment has worked great for my W/D's but my anxiety has not gone away at all. I am trying to get my doc to put me on a low dose benzo like 10mg val or .5 xanax. If he does do so, how dangerous it to take the two medications together? I've heard its quite deadly. I ovbisouley wont go over the dose I need. They put me on effexor but that shit doesn't work.

I've been in the same boat . If you discuss this with your doctor, unless he/she is an incompetent nincompoop, you will get what you need . Having said that, remember that your doctor had to have special training (assuming you are in the US, I don't know about elsewhere) to be eligible to prescribe sub . I was on sub (last time) for about 18 months, and during tehse 18 months I was twice prescribed kpins (2mg 2x daily) for 2 months each time. He would not prescribe benzos long term . I was honest with him from the start and told him I use xanax purchased from the street, so he knew this . He did, however, give me a referral to a psych that he assured me would give me what I wanted . If you are truly working this out with your doctor, he/she is not going to give you a fatal regimen .

do you have previous experience/tolerance with benzos?
Its something worth discussing openly with your Doc. If the anxiety is seriously bothering you then something needs to be done about it be it medication or therapy or meditation...

Seems like a very low dose of xanax or ativan could be fine; to be used as needed when the anxiety gets really bad as opposed to a longer acting benzo but maybe not. Either way very low dose - 0.25-0.5mg xanax or clonazepam

Suboxone doctors do not usually like to combine benzo's and suboxone, most use the excuse that it is too dangerous but its also because of the addiction potential. I have been on suboxone for a long while and have many times mixed it with benzos (xanax, klonopin). It would be nice to know how long you have been on suboxone. If you just got put on then id say the chances are slim to none, once u build up a relationship with your doctor and show him that you are sincere about being clean and the effects of the suboxone on you have shown. Then you will have a better chance. You can definitely ask, the worst he can say is no. Word of warning though, doctors don't really trust new patients as the suboxone program has seen many crooks and people just looking for an oil change. Show you are dedicated and the doctor will have no problem working with you to figure out the best combination.

Have you always had anxiety or just after starting sub? I ask that because when I was on a high dose of sub I felt jittery and anxiety alot. But now that my dose is around 1mg a day I feel much better. something to think about.

Would just like to say I was very honest w my doc almost 3 yrs ago (had a nasty addiction to fent that landed me in an ambulance and almost dead) so I reluctantly went to detox for my parents where I found the number for a Sub doc. let me tell you the best thing is to be honest. One thing about addiction is it teaches us what we are masking from our every day lives. For me it was(is) extreme anxiety/depression. Im on 16mgs of Suboxone strips, along with 3mg of Klonopins daily, 1mg of Lorazepam, and 2400 mgs of Gabapentin. Ive also been on Adderrall since I was 17 so he didnt take me off that. Yes thats a shit load of drugs, but I dont abuse and to get to the point and answer your question, you should be fine on Subs and Benzos. Ease in to it if you arent familiar. If youre worried about your doc prescribing, be 100% honest with him/her. Also as weird as this sounds bring your parents in after consulting with them and the doc will feel more obligated to prescribe what you ask for within reason. I also want to say if anyone is scared and believe they cant quit, you can. I was an extreme alcoholic for 5 yrs (half a liter of vodka a night.) I developed Pancreatitis at 22. While in Hospital, I was on Dilaudid drip hourly for 10 days straight. My addiction then turned to opiates. I have been sober from alcohol and all opiates for over two and a half years. Its all about geting in check with the real reason as to why you are using and patching that. Im okay knowing Ill prob be on benzos my entire life. They save me from using/drinking. Subs do the exact as well as help with depression. Good luck to all trying to quit, Im here for anyone that needs to chat! -Seth