• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzodiazepines: clonazepam+diazepam

Speeedmagic

Bluelighter
Hey guys, I know it has been a little while. I've been on Valium (diazepam) for quite some time now, along with Ativan.. I was not getting much anxiety releif from the Ativan, so my doctor just switched it out for klonopin 1mg, 2 times a day. Now there's something about the diazepam, with the clonazepam dosed after, that really has me more in control of my anxiety/panic/fear more than EVER before. I have struggled with the right combination and dosages of benzodiazepines for years. I think I may have finally found it. Thoughts?

You're not going to like my honest thoughts. I've heard this statement a million times, especially regarding drugs like Benzodiazepines and/or Amphetamines. "These work really well, I've finnaly got it all under control!" If you're taking 2mg Clonazepam (Klonopin), a hefty dose, per day and some Diazepam (Valium) on top of it, then you're asking for problems down the line. I mentioned Amphetamines as well because you always here people making the same "I totally just work better while I'm on Adderall, isn't that weird?" statements.

My point is, it shouldn't come as a surprise that by taking cocktails of different Benzodiazepines you've managed to achieve some anxiolysis. The question is, at what cost will this temporary relief come? Benzodiazepines are only supposed to be prescribed for short courses of treatment. That's a fact. It's the irresponsibility of prescribers that leads people to be on Benzodiazepines for longer than they should be. I'm not saying that nobody receives benefit from these treatments, but they should stop being treated like a cure or a permanent solution. They're just not.

^thats a great point keif. Studies have shown time and again that benzos are not effective for long term treatment of anything really. Taking a an addictive substance more frequently than one dose per 5 elimination half-lives is asking for addiction. Clonazepam and diazepam have such long half-lives that there's pretty much no way to avoid tolerance and addiction without spacing doses very far apart.

That's not to say they don't have therapeutic value. People just shouldn't be taking them daily and expect long term efficacy.

Well I'm bipolar 2 and have saratonin syndrome,, and all my benzodiazepines are taken as perscribed

Lol man you all are super anti benzo... don't you understand long term management management of benzodiazepines under the care of a psychologist, In cases of complicated, and serious mental illness can help. I cannot take any serotonin. I have to get ketamine injections at the hospital. I will be taking benzodiazepines for the rest of my (probably short) life....

Not looking for a cure or permanent solution. Looking to survive day to day bro

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol man you all are super anti benzo.

You asked for opinions, right? The responses you got were not saying "don't take benzos" More like when you use them daily, your tolerance will be increased and they may not work the same way for you in the future. Also, there is a difference between serotonin syndrome and not being able to take medications which block the reuptake of serotonin to the brain.

^Haha, dude please don't take it so seriously. We're not anti-Benzo or anything like that. I've been a Heroin addict for ten years, so to call me anti-drug would be quite a stretch. I prefaced my post with "You won't like my response..." because I felt you might take it the way you did, which is more my fault than yours. We don't look down on you, judge you or do anything like that. Sometimes how we speak comes from more of a cold, calculating and vaguely scientific place. We're not here to try to stop drug use, just to make it as safe and problem-free as possible.

So when you ask about your opinions regarding your Benzodiazepine use, I couldn't help but tell you how I honestly felt. The thing is, it doesn't really matter what your conditions are in this sense. Someone who is schizophrenic, bipolar, quadrapelegic or what have you can still become dependent upon, withdraw from and potentially die as a result of Benzodiazepine use. Well intentioned or not doesn't change the reality is my point. Also, when the medical community at-large states that Benzodiazepines shouldn't be prescribed for longer than a short course, they had already taken into account the fact that people with serious mental illness would be using them. Their belief applies to anyone who might use Benzodiazepines.

Again, it doesn't matter if you're sick or healthy, Benzodiazepine dependence can be a guaranteedly destructive and potentially life-ruining force. It doesn't matter how helpful they are in the short-term if they ultimately ruin your life in the long-term is the point. While some are able to maintain Benzodiazepine maintenance for years with no ill effect or development of malignancy, it doesn't normally work that way.

No one is trying to say you don't deserve them. Not at all. We really didn't know anything about your case at all other than that you had anxiety until you left us your second post, so that was the information we were all going on. None of us dislike you, disrespect you or remotely look down on you for what you're involved in. Nobody thinks your stupid for being in the situation and nobody thinks your being a bitch either.

Again, please take into account that there can be a coldness to the communication here. We don't like to convey that sort of feeling, as we all care about each other to a great extent here at BL, but sometimes it comes across that way. If you break the rules blatantly, insult other members or anything like that though, we probably will get upset.

My advice... Be careful to always take as prescribed, DON'T take extra. I have made that mistake and ended up having to deal with benzo withdrawals, second only to alcohol and barb withdrawals. To me opioid withdrawals are a trip to the Bahamas compared to benzo withdrawals.

I know you may have it under control now but tolerance rises and it's easy to find ones self taking extra to achieve relief. Once in benzo withdrawal kiss sleep, sanity, and any peace goodbye. Anxiety ramps up to levels you thought not possible and seizures become a risk. I've been in that position a couple times and the fix is embarrassing trips to the ER who may or may not help you. Then if you're lucky enough to get a scrip, good luck getting it filled.

Now I'm not saying you are or will abuse your meds. Just a word of warning from someone who's been there. It's a slippery slope so please be careful. I know anxiety is horrible and sometimes benzos are the only thing that will knock it out but its a double edged sword at best.

Lol man you all are super anti benzo... don't you understand long term management management of benzodiazepines under the care of a psychologist, In cases of complicated, and serious mental illness can help. I cannot take any serotonin. I have to get ketamine injections at the hospital. I will be taking benzodiazepines for the rest of my (probably short) life....

Not looking for a cure or permanent solution. Looking to survive day to day bro

Just trying to give you a fair warning man. GABA agonsists are no joke. Benzos have therapeutic value, but we want to give you our honest opinions so you know what your getting into if you take them regularly long-term. If they help you and you don't mind being in then for life, theyre probably a good option for you

Went thru about the same thing with my doc. Put me on a longer lasting halflife bezo to take twice a day along w my xanax bars 3 times a day for break thru panic attacks/anxiety attacks

Hey guys, I know it has been a little while. I've been on Valium (diazepam) for quite some time now, along with Ativan.. I was not getting much anxiety releif from the Ativan, so my doctor just switched it out for klonopin 1mg, 2 times a day. Now there's something about the diazepam, with the clonazepam dosed after, that really has me more in control of my anxiety/panic/fear more than EVER before. I have struggled with the right combination and dosages of benzodiazepines for years. I think I may have finally found it. Thoughts?
I think you should be a-okay. That's IMO; so just be safe, NEVER EVER drink any form of alcohol while taking these two medications, & please don't take more than what's needed so you don't black out or do something stupid and hurt yourself. Be safe, you should be ok as long as you don't mix any other CNS depressants as well. That goes as opaites, opioids, depressants (obviously), benzodiazepines, barbiturates, & even alcohol, etc... The list goes on so be very fucking safe man; don't wanna never wake up.

Thanks to all for feedback. So far it's been a wonderfully smoothe transition. I don't take more than perscribed, and I've been able to beat a 3 year long dependency to Effexor, at the highest dose! (SNRI) So im feeling accomplished, and much more in control of myself.

benzo really helps better than alcohol and crystal meth .. it hrel me for 15 years clonazpam no problem no high just chill relazx .. flirting get easy .. it impairing if youre rich and weak but here in the third world you need drugs to survivew or they be bustin you every day have to be confident everytime shoot shoot baang baang

You're not going to like my honest thoughts. I've heard this statement a million times, especially regarding drugs like Benzodiazepines and/or Amphetamines. "These work really well, I've finnaly got it all under control!" If you're taking 2mg Clonazepam (Klonopin), a hefty dose, per day and some Diazepam (Valium) on top of it, then you're asking for problems down the line. I mentioned Amphetamines as well because you always here people making the same "I totally just work better while I'm on Adderall, isn't that weird?" statements.

My point is, it shouldn't come as a surprise that by taking cocktails of different Benzodiazepines you've managed to achieve some anxiolysis. The question is, at what cost will this temporary relief come? Benzodiazepines are only supposed to be prescribed for short courses of treatment. That's a fact. It's the irresponsibility of prescribers that leads people to be on Benzodiazepines for longer than they should be. I'm not saying that nobody receives benefit from these treatments, but they should stop being treated like a cure or a permanent solution. They're just not.
When I got my Ativan(lorazepam) script I was told I had a year to live. Now on Valium but got benzos a year later and has been 7 years.
Should I just accept that this is till I die.
It helps me and 3x10mg of Valium, after 6 1/2 years of 2mgx3 of ( lorazepam), is this a life sentence.

Hey @Jnowhere

I want to stress that the narrative I use to describe a lot of these issues stems from the fact that we are primarily a user of recreational and/or compulsive substance users here. People come here for legitimate pharmacological information for their usage, but they are a minority of folks here. We assume that most people here are not for instance, like yourself, long-term, relatively stable users of substances.

We try to help all situations here and we don't discriminate. However, when I myself describe these things, I'm often looking toward the future for people. Your situation of being on a stable dose for years is not typical fare here.

There are indeed people with prescriptions for stimulants, sedatives and Opioids who use them responsibly and lead functional lives. For folks who are beginning their substance use in the illicit sphere, say they're first encounters with Benzodiazepines are high-dosage use to "get fucked up" or what have you, without any kind of relationship with a prescriber or otherwise no oversight, is going to progress a lot differently than someone who is prescribed Benzodiazepines and are doing their best to maintain stability.

I wouldn't consider your Diazepam (Valium) usage to be a crazy amount or anything like that. Your own reporting that it helps you to this day is telling. If you're able to keep the dose consistent, don't use compulsively and don't have the desire to, there is nothing inherently wrong with your Benzodiazepine usage. If it continues to help you, you're not withdrawing or having your life impacted by your usage, I don't see the harm.

If this changes and your life is impacted by your usage in negative ways, then it's time to revisit the issue.

It just worried me when I hear that people should take them short term. The same is said about opiods.
The doctors thought I would have been long dead by now.
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely
@Jnowhere

I quit 2mg of clonazepam 13 months ago after a 7-year habit.

I've been a heroin addict, regular meth user for 6 months... I did ecstasy every weekend for a few years. Cocaine was a regular weekend thing for my entire adult life until I quit benzos.

Benzos did the most damage to my life, and fundamentally changed my personality and cognition in a way that ultimately was a huge net negative. Honestly, they make you stupid. I didn't realize it until this past month. It was like a light switch went off. I feel as intelligent as I did 10 years ago.

I had wonder about that due to various issues I have had, I am noticing problems with my brain. My memory and overall I feel noticeable dumber.
It has taken its toll on me. I want to quit but I am scared, because they help me and the long tapering process, besides I assumed I would be dead by now. I grateful for what you have told me, because now I know it is not my imagination. Thank you, I am have been confused about what to do because of my feeling that I need them. I always thought benzos were fairly harmless, now I am realizing they can be a monster.
Thank you