• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Benzodiazepines and trigeminal neuralgia

Your sources are just about antiques
Does that make them any less valid?

My father who is 77 was prescribed clonazepam as the first choice by his doctor who has since passed because he would be 100, to treat trigeminal neuralgia caused by a head injury. It helped my father's trigeminal neuralgia as well as tinnitus. However, he could not tolerate the sedation caused by the dose that was effective.

But new meds don't mean old ones don't work.
In comparison, for the great majority, I think it kind of does. Benzos for TN is virtually out of current literature, so maybe they once upon a time were the best they had. Lots of analogies there. Current theory is still somewhat formative, but it's certainly improved in the last 50 years. Most of the time, any cited research that's more than 10 years old isn't considered valid, and that's in all scientific fields.

I tried carbamazepine, lamictal, depakote, gabapentin, lyrica and a few others im forgetting.
When i read something about tolerability, usually it means the person didn't trial the drug long enough. Anticonvulsants have shitty side effects, but they almost always get better over 3 months. Did you try each of these drugs for about 3 months?

When i read something about tolerability, usually it means the person didn't trial the drug long enough. Anticonvulsants have shitty side effects, but they almost always get better over 3 months. Did you try each of these drugs for about 3 months?

All except the tegretol ya. I got blistering migraines from that

Yep, nope for anticonvulsants. I find they make me aggressive and potentially nasty. I seem to get rage attacks on them. During these attacks I can break stuff, hit myself, all sorts of shit. Autistic meltdown style. I won't touch them again. Hate every last one of them. I tried Epilim, tried Lamictal, tried phenobarbitone (big no no, withdrawals were horrendous, even worse than amylobarbitone which I also tried for 2 months), I don't think I've tried Dilantin or Topamax, but I have tried Tegretol, all of these for several months and two of them for over a year. All of them made me have rage attacks.