Mental Health Benzodiazepines and Paradoxical Reactions

Billybadjoebob

Bluelighter
Am I the only one who can have a paradoxical reaction to benzos? Doesn't happen every time though. I have no script and rarely get .25mg alprazolam from my mother only when having an unbearable panic attack or more typically when I first cycle into hypomania.

Several times when I took them they profoundly exacerbated the anxiety. I mean PROFOUNDLY. I have usually would take .25mg-.50mg and one a few horrible occasions .75mg. Never above that.

If I remember correctly benzos are known to have this ironic capacity. So, does anyone know the alternatives for medicinal aid for anxiety and more specifically rapid panic atracks? Was put on hydroxyzine awhile back, but I find it utterly useless.

A few things I can think of might help:

Do as many situps or pushups as you can

Learn to meditate

Talk to someone while its happening

Get a therapist who can teach you to better deal with these attacks

Distract yourself

Don't drink any caffeine, and if you do, keep it to green tea

(this goes without saying) don't take alprazolam

I think you're just going to have to learn how to fight it, man

It's maybe notable that you mentioned xanax. I've been prescribed most benzos at one time or another and have been taking klonopin or valium daily for a few years (unfortunately). The only reaction I can describe as paradoxical from the longer lasting benzos is that they usually seem to perk me up/make me feel more awake and responsive in the morning. My psych tried xanax ER for a month last year and I couldn't handle it as I was waking up in the midst of panic attacks every morning that were completely disabling to say the least.

Have you tried other benzos for panic with the same reaction?