• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzodiazepine Tolerance increase during a bender.

Robomarley1

Bluelighter
Hey everybody! I was wondering if I was prescribed clonazepam and took double the dose for six days and then returned to my normal dose if my tolerance will have increased. I also drank a 12 pack on those days.

Thanks

Yeah, if you did as you said and took it 6 days in a row then your tolerance will most likely increase by quite a bit. Be careful you could get addicted pretty easily from doing it that much in a row.

I should clarify, for the first 4 days it was 2-3 mgs of alprazolam when sleeping. I don't remember the exact amount because benzos. Then the rest of the day i took my normal dose of clonazepam. The last two it was double the clonazepam dose.

Do you usually drink 12 beers a night? Doubling a dose of benzos for almost a week will almost certainly raise your tolerance with or without the alcohol in most cases. But you can expect an even more substantial increase if you are not a regular drinker and you were just on a binge.

I would get withdrawal from doing that...

Most nights it was more like 7 beers a night before i came across a bunch of extra benzos.

Thanks for all the input. I was sober for two months of the booze until two months ago.

And @swilow that seems to be what i am going through now.

I would get withdrawal from doing that...

Do you have a history of GABAergic dependence? This might be a result of kindling? Most non-tolerant users wouldn't get true WD symptoms from the duration that the OP has been using even though his dosages have been pretty high.

Feel like i have the flu and cant sleep. And yeah over the past 4 years or so i have been binging alcohol and almost getting off benzos then getting right back on them again.

@Mr.Deeds ^Yeah I should probably have explained a bit further, it's kindling... I had a bad benzo habit almost 10 years ago, but a childhood on gabaergics for epilepsy probably made me doubly vulnerable. I get pretty intense after effects from even one standard dose of benzos... they are a class of drugs I simply cannot ever touch except as an emergency treatment.

And @swilow that seems to be what i am going through now.

I think this is pretty expected but it will be pretty mild on the spectrum of rebound effects.

If you binge on a drug that you're going to need to keep using, the least painful way to return to reality will be reducing your dose back down again for a few days. Nothing like a taper, and only for 2-3 days to avoid prolonging use of a higher dose, but the brain and body are incredibly sensitive go changes in the GABA inhibitory system.

I dont do this anymore but I used to get 30 temazepams a month and ate them in a day or two but always leaving 5 to step down with. It helped to an extent but if you do not have good willpower, this can result in just extending the binge.

Binging is not a good idea if you are physically dependant via medical use of a drug.

I should clarify, for the first 4 days it was 2-3 mgs of alprazolam when sleeping. I don't remember the exact amount because benzos. Then the rest of the day i took my normal dose of clonazepam. The last two it was double the clonazepam dose.
That's still extremely dangerous to do it 4 days in a row, i would slowly cut down if i were you. Once you get too addicted to them it's fuckn hard to get off.

I think this is pretty expected but it will be pretty mild on the spectrum of rebound effects.

If you binge on a drug that you're going to need to keep using, the least painful way to return to reality will be reducing your dose back down again for a few days. Nothing like a taper, and only for 2-3 days to avoid prolonging use of a higher dose, but the brain and body are incredibly sensitive go changes in the GABA inhibitory system.

Thanks, i will be doing this, i have a lot of extra so i do not have to worry about running out and I have already started tapering down on the alcohol consumed by quite a bit.

That's still extremely dangerous to do it 4 days in a row, i would slowly cut down if i were you. Once you get too addicted to them it's fuckn hard to get off.

Thank you for your input. I have been on 2 mgs of clonazepam for the past 4 years, I have tried to get off of them before and got down to .5 mgs a day last July with little if any noticeable withdrawal effects. So I do know how hard it is to get off of them.

4 days of 3mgs of alprazolam is not dangerous. Combining 6mgs of alprazolam with 12 beers and having no tolerance is the most dangerous aspect of this post. It would takes weeks if not months to really start worrying about benzo WD. I take 3mgs of xanax daily and it took me quite a while to become physically dependent.

Guess my tolerance builds up extremely quicker than other people.