• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo Taper Plan

mike.vick

Bluelighter
I have been addicted to benzos for 10 months and want to stop. I saw the taper plan of 10% reduction per week, with a 2-week break after 50% of total dose is reached.

How will I react to this taper? I have quit opiates successfully last month, and weed as well, although, I am getting more weed next week.

ThankYou!!!

I think it depends what benzo/s you are on, as to how easily/effectively any taper plan is likely to be.
Long lasting benzos are generally used for tapering; i used diazepam.

I don't know what your situation is like regarding having your taper medically supervised, but if you can do some kind of outpatient treatment, i would recommend it, although i'm lucky to have that sort of thing provided free where i live, so i know it isn't possible for everyone to do it that way. Benzo wd can be really dangerous, but i'm sure you don't need me to tell you that.

i can't make an informed reply to your question, but there are some benzo tapering plans that you can find online, such as the Ashton Manual.

Good job getting off the dope.

How will I react to this taper? I have quit opiates successfully last month, and weed as well, although, I am getting more weed next week.

Sorry, but only time will tell.
Some people react really bad after just taking benzos for a few month and some people have no problem quitting with a proper taper, even after years of taking benzos. I really hope you belong to the latter.
And imo the mind plays a huge role in benzo withdrawal, so try and not think about it too much.
Good luck!

^^^ Thanks man, Yeah I hear the taper is hell- Stevie Nicks said Klonopin is the worst drug in the world, she spent 60 days in-patient at a hospital to get off it.

I hope someone else has experience with getting off Benzos.

Honestly, i found it a breeze with a good doctor.
I was taking insane amounts of RC benzos for years - that they'd never heard of (phenazepam, flubromazolam) - yet a good slow taper and i was fine.
I might be one of the lucky ones though.

Thanks bud ^^ What was your taper like? I switch from xanax to klonopin a couple months ago with the intention on tapering 10% per week, Haven't started it yet.

Well, i really fucked up last year, had a seizure and spent time in hospital.
Was moving house and forgot to take a dose or something.
I fell into benzo abuse/addiction after a ten year opiate habit.

Then when i got out of hospital - dazed as fuck - i hadnt really put 2+2 together as to why it happened.

So i relapsed on f-lam when i got out, and it eventually dawned on me that the seizures and psychosis were from benzo withdrawal. Duh, right? :?

I was taking hideous amounts of benzos though. Really bad. Like 5000 doses in 2/3 months bad.
Dont remember much from that period.

So i spoke to my drug counsellor, she got me into an inpatient detox where they stabilised me on diaz. Meant to be in there for a week.
That went fine, so they dropped my doses pretty aggressively in there (halving my diaz dose per day, doing obs and making sure i wasnt about to seize up). That went fine, and on day 5 they let me go home (cos the food was shit and i'm a healthy eater, which was my only health complaint in there - besides the expected insomnia)
Then over the next ~3 months they tapered me down on diaz as an outpatient.
I found it easy....then i jumped off 5mg diazepam with no discomfort whatsoever.

Was really glad to have a good medical team overseeing the whole thing, after my WD trainwreck. That was scary.
But you should be fine, just be as strict with yourself as possible IMO.
Good luck!