• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzo taper equipotent dose

Gorillaboy21

Bluelighter
So I quit gabapentin cold turkey about a month ago and I'm now tapering quoting benzos and I got myself down to 10 mgs Valium a day .
I'm wondering what's the agreed upon number to convert Valium into Xanax mgs . I know everyone's body is didfeeent but as close as possible, I wanna know is 1 mg Xanax equal to 10 mgs Valium ? Cause I might run out of Valium and have to use Xanax to taper but don't wanna mess it up.
I know different affinity and half lives play into as factors so let me know guys what you think

Anybody? I took .5 mgs Xanax and 300 mgs gabapentin today I'm feeling alright I might take another .25-.5 mgs .
I wanna know the difference in binding power between Valium and Xanax if anyone knows and what's the equivalent strength mg for mg between the 2

1mg alprazolam is roughly equivalent to 10mg diazepam. Though alprazolam has a half life of 12 hours versus diazepams 100 hours. You would need to redose more frequently with alprazolam to stave withdrawal.
typically in a medical setting diazepam or chlordiazepoxide would be used to taper off alprazolam because they produce longer lasting effect and control seizure activity for longer periods.

If it were me, I'd use the alprazolam first and then taper with diazepam but I'm not a doctor and this is just my opinion. Benzo withdrawal is real deal serious. It is important to seek medical attention if necessary.

As has already been said - use the Xanax first and then try and finish the taper with the Diazepam.

It is standard medical practise for anyone on short / intermediate acting benzodiazepines such as alprazolam and the like for them to be substituted for a long acting drug such as diazepam or chlordiazepoxide, as they eliminate a lot more gently and steadily and in the case of these 2 drugs in particular, can be given in incredibly small doses towards the end of the taper.

i see, okay well thank you guys I just wanted to know because my normal valium connect wasn't coming through and I might not have enough to taper with cause I'm down to my last few.
I got pretty much a lot of Xanax and a connect for more if I needed so In the case of me having to use Xanax only to taper cause I have no choice, I wanted to know the equivalence in terms of strength between the 2 . thanks guys bluelights helped me so much , you guys are my 12 step meetings and my NA I love you.

i see, okay well thank you guys I just wanted to know because my normal valium connect wasn't coming through and I might not have enough to taper with cause I'm down to my last few.
I got pretty much a lot of Xanax and a connect for more if I needed so In the case of me having to use Xanax only to taper cause I have no choice, I wanted to know the equivalence in terms of strength between the 2 . thanks guys bluelights helped me so much , you guys are my 12 step meetings and my NA I love you.

Respect Gorillaboy - glad you found the responses useful - you will be doing yourself a lot of favours though if you can get the medicine switched as advised.

If you insist on going ahead using the alprazolam, the Ashton Manual (the bible of benzo dependence management and detox) states that 1mg is equivalent to 10mg diazepam when the drugs are substituted for therapeutic or taper / detox purposes.

Just by the way, 10mg Diazepam is actually equipotent to ~.5mg Alprazolam/Clonazepam, not a full 1mg. The prescribing guidelines regarding Diazepam are kind of strange though, at least in the United States where I live. Prescribers tend to treat the relationship as 10mg Diazepam = 1mg Alprazolam despite all medical literature disputing this. It could possibly be due to the fact the Diazepam is perceived to be more dangerous/powerful/recreational. I'm not sure, but according to all sources, that's the conversion ratio.

Sorry Keif - that came from the Wiki conversion table that cites the Ashton as its source.

"Alprazolam - Xanax, Helex, Xanor, Trankimazin, Onax, Alprox, Restyl, Solanax, Tafil, Neurol -1981 -*0.5* -1-2 -10–20 hours (15h=0.62d)-anxiolytic, antidepressant"

"Diazepam - Antenex, Apaurin, Apzepam, Apozepam, Diazepan, Hexalid, Pax, Stesolid, Stedon, Valium, Vival, Valaxona - 1963 -*5* 1-1.5 - 32–47 hours [32–205] (39.5h=1.64d [118.5h=4.94d] - anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, muscle relaxant"

The manual itself does equate 0.5 alprazolam = 10mg diazepam.

Epic benzo conversion fail. I'll crawl back under my rock now.