• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo recommendation

Steven325

Bluelighter
Small story about me

I smoke weed daily for 10 years. Heavy stress for the last 4 years combined with depression but I kept smoking which made it worse.

My life made a u turn at 1 january and life was a lot better. And there 1 fucking month later I got a major panic attack, which I never had before or even heard of. And there started my panic attacks. They were worse then all the depression and suicidal thoughts I had all those years. I'd get them out of nowhere but also when smoking weed, less then 0.1 gram would give me a racing heart for 5+ hours, it was really annoying. Even a cigarette, which I wanted to smoke to calm me down, gave me insane anxiety.. Quit weed for a while but attacks stayed, multiple times a day, I couldn't leave the house, I tried things like jogging but running for 10 second gave me such insane chest pains I just couldn't even stand up straight anymore. I basically had feeling of numb face 24/7 and my heart, arm and and shoulder would hurt so bad almost 24/7. However heart tests showed me being completely healthy.. over and over again.

Fast forward 8 months it's a lot better now but I talked a lot with my doctor and he recommended me to take some benzo for a while, since I can't sleep or relax and it's really annoying (I already do therapy, yoga etc.)

I do not want a very addictive benzo since I'm hooked pretty fast but I'd like one that combines well with weed, I don't smoke often now but with benzo's its really relaxing and working 90 hours a week I just.. need that moment from time to time. I already gave up cigarettes and smoking, bought a vaporizer and just use a liittle bit from time to time, I don't use anything else except GHB the past weeks, which I won't do while on benzo's.

My main goal is to be more calm throughout the day (I'm often very shaky for nothing, can't stand still in places, insane rapid heartbeat by the slightest movements etc.) and no more racing thoughts while in bed. I have some mental stuff too but I'm battling that sober pretty good already. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Maybe clonazepam or Diazepam for the longer half life. But any benzo can be addictive as far as I know.

chlordiazepoxide is about as far down as you can go as far as too vague and weak to be -acutely- addictive, right under diazepam - personal opinion

not clonazepam. stay away from it.

recomendation.. be very careful with benzos.. using one on occasion, maybe once or twice a week wehn u really need it, won't hurt you, but any type of pattern with benzo use and dependence will sneak up on u quick. its pretty much the worst thing to come off once u have a dependence. do u do cardio or good physical excercise? its pretty amazing how powerful it can be.. if u can find any other option other than benos i would do that.. in a year from now if u pick up a benzo habit, you will really have more problems than you do now.

Listen to this advice. I've taken clinical doses for 15 years, never abused them. Why so long? After the first 4 years of clonazepam, withdrawal was not possible with other health problems. Cold turkey emergencies have almost killed me several times, always status epilepticus requiring induced coma. I don't have an organic brain disease, I am a normal person.

If there isn't someone around when that happens, you die.

Absolutely, positively the most diabolical class of drugs to withdraw from.

Just out of curiosity, OP, are you set on benzos? If you're not currently taking anything, it could be worthwhile to talk to your doc about alternative options. Benzos really do creep up on a *lot* of users, much more easily than anyone would reasonably be able to predict even with foreknowlege or prior experience.

In regards to finding something to reward yourself with after a long work week, have you considered trying a less-addictive relaxant, like Kratom? Comparing it to a benzo is akin to comparing apples to Nazi oranges, I realize, but combined with good, sedating bud, it could give you the reprieve you're looking for without the risk that's pretty much inseperable from benzos.

If you do opt for one benzo or another, some unsolicited advice- treat them with even more caution than you would alcohol. Because they don't wreck your body in an overt manner like booze, it's easy to justify taking them more and more frequently. Dependence, withdrawal, and, even in mild cases, rebound effects, could all set back your healing process significantly and create an awful negative feedback loop that leaves you unable to function without them. They have their place for short term relief, but as a long-term solution, they are sorely lacking.

Solidarity, though; it sounds like you're really fighting to get your life back via methods that really strongly promote long term mental and physical health, and I wish you all the best.

Thanks for the replies.

I am addicted really fast but only to stuff I like, maybe it's ADD or just me I don't know. But I've done enough alcohol and cocaine in my life to make me addicted yet I don't have any issues not doing them at all for long periods of time because I just focus on work, however weed fits in with 1 of my jobs so it's a lot easier to do. My doctor knows I have (had) a heavy weed addiction (smoking now at 8am though) and he takes this in consideration before prescribing any benzo.

For the past months I went to the gym, did swimming and occasional yoga and home meditation. Also massages from my physical therapist for some injurys to calm down more as well. They all helped a lot, but I currently have 90-100 hour work weeks which simply let me not sleep, you'd think I'd be so tired but my thoughts simply never stop racing now when I'm in bed, I hallucinate while I'm in bed cause I'm so tired (I see like open and closed eyed visualizer things) which are VERY distracting and make me dizzy and not able to sleep as well and often see purple and yellow spots, cause I'm so tired. So I need something for at least a few months. I thought of kratom but the guy in the store said it's pretty addictive as well. I'd prefer to have a light few month 'addiction' to a light benzo compared to Kratom (I think?) because I won't be able to get more benzo's but I will be able to get more Kratom.

Again, here in the Netherlands they are very much against medicine and he will definately make sure I'll be alright with them.

you would be sooo much better off with a kratom addiction then a benzo addiction.. a few months will have u heavily dependant on benzos. of course your choice.. but the withdrawals from kratom will seem like rainbows and butterflies compared to benzo withdrawal.

I see.. I don't know a lot about benzo's, I've had temazepam and oxazepam before. Oxazepam was really bad for me and gave me even more anxiety so I did not even finish those. Temazepam was awesome thought and I could definately see myself abusing that.. complete anxiety relief, even better than mdma or ghb. I only had 10 10mg pills of both though. I have 4x10mg temazepam now to get me through the weekend (I take 2x10mg in an evening) and already want to take them now actually.. (8am just woke up) but need to save them for the night. But I'm pretty sure there are way less addictive benzo's?

How fast after taking benzo's can I try kratom? I'll try that sometime next week then, I read it goes well with weed if you have the good kind of kratom.

I would say diazepam. If you can truly stay away from taking them recreationally all the time, a single dose can almost get you through the whole day assuming your tolerance is pretty low.

I'm prescribed 15mg of diazepam daily. It's my benzo of choice for its long half life. It's the best to taper with if I ever get to that point, and I do abuse it semi regularly just out of boredom and it's my favorite benzo in that regard.

I see.. I don't know a lot about benzo's, I've had temazepam and oxazepam before. Oxazepam was really bad for me and gave me even more anxiety so I did not even finish those. Temazepam was awesome thought and I could definately see myself abusing that.. complete anxiety relief, even better than mdma or ghb. I only had 10 10mg pills of both though. I have 4x10mg temazepam now to get me through the weekend (I take 2x10mg in an evening) and already want to take them now actually.. (8am just woke up) but need to save them for the night. But I'm pretty sure there are way less addictive benzo's?

How fast after taking benzo's can I try kratom? I'll try that sometime next week then, I read it goes well with weed if you have the good kind of kratom.

I have yet to try a kind of kratom that didn't go well with weed. ;)

Whatever you do be careful OP. I've been prescribed a benzo for about 4 years now and if I want to go off of it I'm most likely looking at a very long taper. And also all benzos are addictive as it's probably already been pointed out.

I find that benzos not abused can be a life saver. I had/have panic disorder and anxiety and all that and before I got prescribed benzos I was getting to the point of unable to sleep, leave the house, feel sane, hang out with friends.

i have never taken more than the dose the dr, prescribed, not once. I don't know if I would have any quality of life without them.

i believe that for some people it's a choice between having a functional life with a benzo prescription to being unfunctional.

valium and klonopin are good recommendations. You should be careful, you should decide if you have an addictive personality. You should think if you can handle having them and not abusing them.

i have OCD and for the bad it does me it also keeps me in check. I'm so scared of raising my tolerance to them, and getting to take a large amount a day and the dose I'm currently on not working, that I take less than prescribed sometimes. I mean, I'm prescribed them as needed, so it's hard to say, but I never run out early.

you don't have to become dependent on them either, you can take them as needed for panic and I have found that knowing I have them, and that they do work for panic, I would often not have to take any because I know that I have them and psychologically that helps me to not have a panic attack.

but I think there is a difference between addiction and dependence. Addiction is abusing meds for recreation, dependence is when you take as prescribed and are physically dependent.

Tbh all benzos have the potential to be addictive, that's why they're CIV (Schedule 4) controlled substances (In the USA).

The least addictive Benzo is Chlordiazpoxide (Librium) IMO.
It's not as potent as other benzos, but like I said it probably the least addictive.

Stay away from Alprazolam (Xanax) and Diazepam (Valium), they're the most addicting benzos IMO. They're considered 'euphoric' benzos, the euphoria of course is what makes them addictive.

But if you want a potent Benzo, and a little less addicting than others, Clonazepam (Klonopin) is probably a good choice.
Caution, I find Clonazepam to be extremely euphoric, thus making just as addicting as Diazepam and Alprazolam.
But some sources state that it's abuse potential is lower than other benzos (not for me though, I find Clonazepam to be extremely euphoric).

So in conclusion, it's a very tough call.
Like I said any Benzo can be addictive and habit forming.

Do you have access to Thienodiazapines in your region? Some tout them to be less addictive and dependence forming than traditional benzos (though I would look for medical evidence to support this before accepting it as gospel)

Etizolam was much, much kinder and more forgiving to me than the traditional benzos would have been if abused to the same extent. I know you don't plan on abusing, but it doesn't hurt to have that safety net, regardless?

My advice, as always, is to ask for Lyrica (or generic Pregabalin if it's available where you live). While it does produce some physical dependence, it is nowhere near as recreational and thus not as addictive as benzos (i.e. you can't get "high" on it unless you take an insane dose with no tolerance), and it does a pretty good job of handling the day-to-day generalized anxiety. You might still need a small dose of Xanax to fight off the occasional panic attack, but only a fraction of what you'd need if you chose a benzo as a first-line treatment.

You might want to try propranolol. It's not recreational at all and does provide some anxiety relief for me. It's no miracle drug but it does help. It's the only drug I'll use these days for my anxiety, save for opiates but that's more recreational than functional. Kratom, like someone above me said, would also be a better alternative to benzos IMO.
When you have bad anxiety, benzos can provide extremely pleasant (temporary, of course) relief.. If you are prone to addiction and have bad anxiety you will enjoy the effects of benzos A LOT because of the contrast it brings vs your normal (sober & anxious) state, therefore making the risk of addiction very real. I have similar anxiety issues caused by abusing amphetamines and cannabis for a few years. (Cannabis was the trigger.)
I was hooked on them extremely fast, an addiction that lasted years. I had to go to rehab to get clean from them. (Granted, they were not my only drug-problem, but definitely one of the biggest.)

Good luck, and be safe!

My advice, as always, is to ask for Lyrica (or generic Pregabalin if it's available where you live). While it does produce some physical dependence, it is nowhere near as recreational and thus not as addictive as benzos (i.e. you can't get "high" on it unless you take an insane dose with no tolerance), and it does a pretty good job of handling the day-to-day generalized anxiety. You might still need a small dose of Xanax to fight off the occasional panic attack, but only a fraction of what you'd need if you chose a benzo as a first-line treatment.

I would like to add that withdrawal from lyrica can be pretty painful unless you do a benzo like slow taper.