• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Benzo harm reduction for newbie

FlippnCandyFlippn

Greenlighter
I've struggled with anxiety and panic attacks for years and finally decided to try some benzos, after getting a small Ativan script from the hospital doc. I have dabbled in other drugs in the past (mdma, lsd, mushrooms, various RCs) so getting a source for some "xanax" wasnt very hard. I've done a ton of reading about benzo withdrawl, addiction and physical dependence, but I have a few questions for you guys that have experience with this.

- The "xanax" bars I got were said to be 3mg of alprazolam, but I've been seeing most presses are etizolam, or flualprazolam.. Obviously the only way to really would be to send it to a lab (is edata still the only one?) but people say alp has a distinct bitter taste, while etizolam doesn't. I've chewed a 1/4 bar up and did notice a slight bitter taste especially when swallowing, but It wasn't very bad. Would a real alp bar be super bitter?? The effects are definitely some kind of benzo, I'll probably cave and send it in for testing eventually.

- I know this is a very individual question, but what are the general tips on avoiding physical dependency? How many days per week/month can I dose & at (roughly) what mg? I have pretty good self control and am mostly using them therapeutically and sometimes recreationally, as the light floaty feeling is very nice. I've taken them 3 days in a row once, and the next day I had some pretty bad rebound anxiety and horrible sleep. Also had stomach problems and diarrhea but that could be unrelated.

- Reading alot bout the whole kindling effect, does this only happen after being physically addicted to it? Will I have to worry about this if I'm doing it sporadically with breaks in between doses?

Sorry for the long post, I've just read so many horror stories and do not want to go anywhere near that. I already have enough shit to deal with.

Thanks everyone

Would a real alp bar be super bitter??

I'm told it has a pretty distinctive, unpleasant taste. I can't say whether it's unique to Xanax tho.

I know this is a very individual question, but what are the general tips on avoiding physical dependency?

Realistically, it's as simple as keeping your use as infrequent and as low-dose as possible. Try to limit use to only extreme panic attacks if possible, Avoid recreational use, it will lead you nowhere good.

The general reccomendation with benzos is they are considered a temporary solution, not permanent. I think the rule of thumb is they are effective for around 2 weeks of continuous use, maximum. If you continue using them for longer periods of time, dependence is guaranteed to set in, and they will become less effective overall thanks to development of tolerance.