• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzo free

femaletrouble

Bluelighter
Is it possible that some one who has been dependant on diazepam for over a decade an is been tapered very gradually be ever truely free of benzos if they are a natualy anxious person

Yes, it definitely is. What's better, to sugar-coat the situation and lead someone to destruction or to paint the picture in black and white so they know what they're up against? The latter, in my opinion, better prepares the individual in question for success. If I tell somebody that their Benzodiazepine withdrawal will take a long-weekend and shouldn't interfere with their functioning, they will be pretty dejected by the time the second month of pain comes around.

So, my point is that you need to prepare yourself for a long-process of maintenance, without expecting anything too soon. Luckily, if you're on good terms with our prescriber, you can take the taper as slowly as you want. I would suggest looking into a few different medications to help with the anxiety issues throughout the process and even afterward, considering anxiety has been a big issue for you in the past.

Before I list a slew of potentials, what do you have experience with in the past other than Benzodiazepines?

Yes, it definitely is. What's better, to sugar-coat the situation and lead someone to destruction or to paint the picture in black and white so they know what they're up against? The latter, in my opinion, better prepares the individual in question for success. If I tell somebody that their Benzodiazepine withdrawal will take a long-weekend and shouldn't interfere with their functioning, they will be pretty dejected by the time the second month of pain comes around.

So, my point is that you need to prepare yourself for a long-process of maintenance, without expectinganything too soon. Luckily, if you're on good terms with our prescriber, you can take the taper as slowly as you want. I would suggest looking into a few different medications to help with the anxiety issues throughout the process and even afterward, considering anxiety has been a big issue for you in the past.

Before I list a slew of potentials, what do you have experience with in the past other than Benzodiazepines?
Ive been on diazepam prescribed from dr for the past 12yrs. But they are taperin me an ive got a years supply of xanax of the streets i supplement them with. Plus codeine limited supplie. Rc benzo clonanzolam

Okay, so what's a picture of your total Benzodiazepine usage look like?

That's not bad at all, first thing I would do is stop the xanax, unless I was having a serious panic attack, then just cut then diaz by 4mg per month, 1mg per week.

But really, and I am going to regret saying this and its counter productive, if you have had the self control to stay on those doses without abusing them, tolerance hasn't been an issue, and they are still effective...why stop?

^Yea really, I was under the impression that this was going to be more severe. We're not making light of your situation either OP, we're just saying that at these dosages, your withdrawal should be very manageable. I would just titrate slowly and stick to the plan. Benzodiazepine withdrawal, as I'm sure you've heard, can be everything from extremely unpleasant to lethal, but at the dosages you're into, you shouldn't have to worry about anything even close to this.

If you stick to a reasonable taper, like the one described by Coolwhip (I wouldn't immediately cease anything though, just reduce), you should be able to make it through this process with only some mild discomfort.

Thanks keif. I shall do a gradual taper! I may be able to softly come off them without to much withdrawal by the sounds of your advice. Much thanks