• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzo conversion

Agoraphobiaphile

Bluelighter
So on conversion charts it's stated that .5mg xanax is equal to .25mg klonopin.

?? Does this seem wrong to anybody. I have quite a history with benzos as I'm basket case with multiple anxiety disorders diagnosed.

I always thought .5mg xanax = 1mg klonopin which is quite a bit more than .25mg.

For instance (and I don't take benzos often at all, but I do have a natural tolerance) I can take 2-3 mg of xanax just for anxiety relief.. But I can take 4-6 mg klonopin . any more and its black out city. This would mean I'm taking 8-12mg equivalent of xanax. That's nuts!!

Does anyone else disagree with the conversion? Is it just a matter of personal physiology or YMMV? Or the slower onset and longer action? I feel likely the latter is not an adequate explanation..

I mean what is the conversion criteria.. When they convert opiate strength it's based on pain killing strength, the length of action is not a factor.

This is probably a moot point but the whole thing bugs me. Can you even convert benzos? Since thy have a multitude of effects and mileage does vary greatly person to person.

Tldr: does .25mg clonazepam = .5mg alprazolam and in what way?

I'd be inclined to agree with you. I have quite a history of benzo use as well. If you gave me a choice between xanax and clonopin, xanax wins every time. It seems much stronger to me. People always say how strong lorazepam is as well but I think its one of the weakest. Of the benzos I have done I'd say xanax>clonopin>diazepam>lorezapam<tranxene. That's my opinion ymmv

Agreed, to me lorazepam doesn't touch my anxiety. Always ends the same way, taking it to blackout doses and at that point it is irrelevant.

I wish I could try others but really I haven't seen a psych in years and I'm loathe to jump through the hoops of worthless anti depressants "approved" for anxiety for many months before getting to benzos.

My suboxone doc will give klonopin but I only seen him once. Plan to ask about it next visit hence the point of this thread.

Conversion charts are a basic guide, but there will always be variables like duration and personal preference. They are a long way from 100% accurate. If trying a new benzo for the first time, conversion charts can be used to compare with something you're familiar with and get an idea of the dose, but you'll be able to tell pretty quickly what works for you and what doesn't.

Ahh ok I tried to check the bl conversion chart but it wasn't loading for me.

That seems more appropriate. Thanks.

I'm not sure where you got your information, but from every piece of information that I've ever read, Clonazepam (Klonopin) and Alprazolam (Xanax) are equipotent, although certain adjustments must be made considering the differing duration of effect between these two.

Tbh it was the first Google hit for benzo conversion chart :p I should have looked more.

Interestingly enough The second Google hit says .5mg alprazolam = 1mg clonazepam..

So yea all over the place.

Some charts also state,

0.5mg Xanax = 0.25-0.75mg Klonopin...

So what does that tell me, they're equal in potency.

Xanax has the upper hand in packing a bigger punch, Klonopin has the upper hand in lasting longer.

i like them both. :)

Yea, no hard feelings regarding the misinformation. It's not like the medical community is known for its ability to come to a concensus on things.