• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos benzo as sleep aid!? how long before physical addiction?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
recently got a script for 1MG/night for sleep.

been using then as scripted but I already have a problem w/ seizures as is; my last benzo ADDICTION is what made me find out I have a brain tumor which causes these seizures since I was going through withdrawal from dope/benzos.

nowadays things are much different and I am on 8MG/bupe and scripted 1MG/night benzo - I have no worries; life changed, I changed, things change. esp. since I cannot sleep at night because I have some REAL WORRIES approaching in life, so the Dr. thought this was best.

you'd think I'd know how many days in a row/long it would take to get physically addicted.. but I dont.

so to the benzo masters. how many days/weeks does it take before you pick up a physical addiction? last thing I need is another benzo addiction to add to the seizure I ALREADY have every here/there; I will say this, tho. these benzos help me sleep 10000000x's better than the rest of the scripts we've tried throughout the year to go w/ this tumor .no more twitching, moving, waking up, etc, in my sleep. I pass out and I wake up and feel... well, not super refreshed, but I wake up w/o much of a problem.

I am scripted 1MG xanny, btw.

Well, you were addicted to them before, so I would guess, addiction will kick in sooner then the last time.
For some people it just takes a few weeks to get dependent and for some it takes month, so I can't tell you. But I would say 1-2 weeks should be alright, everything more idk. But the sedative part of Xanax should decrease pretty fast, so maybe it won't even help you get sleep after 2 weeks.
What about Z-Drugs, they should put you to sleep just like normal benzos, but they are more selective so seizure and rebound anxiety are not that much of a problem when you quit.
Wish you all the best :)

The hypnotic effect of Xanax will go away, but the anxiolytic effect will persist for a long time. So if you have insomnia marked by anxiety or "racing thoughts", it will continue to be effective. I'm surprised that they didn't put the OP on Ambien, though.

Does the doctor know you have had an addiction to benzos before? Stay safe, and if you find yourself becoming addicted or wanting to abuse them contact your doctor.

I really dislike xanax due to the short half-life and super quick withdrawals it brings on. I was on it for a month and by months end I was at the doctors saying I'd rather anxiety, I can't take this anymore. It sucked. If you can't sleep, and have a history of abuse, I would imagine that 1) your tolerance would be higher and 2) that your system would slip back to quickly and adjust to depending on them vs a person who had never used them before. The last two are merely opinion only. I'm only going off of experience. I didn't like loraz -- made me feel dumb as fuck, and I got withdrawals (but with those it took many months, maybe years to start feeling the withdrawal). However, with the xanax, it was within a month. Klonopin is what I find offers the best medium, and I hardly get withdrawal symptoms (at least physically, and to me those are the worst). I would imagine that a longer acting benzo would be better suited to you, especially given your past history and likely, at least maybe somewhat, altered bio reaction to benzos (again, opinion only). I would imagine that valium would be a first choice for your situation, but, this is all conjecture. Hope you work it out. There are other sources that might not be so risky for dependence.

There are heaps of things to take into account with benzo addiction, but a good rule of thumb is use for no more than 3 days in a row, i believe.
Any more and you may suffer - especially if you've previously had a benzo habit.

There are heaps of things to take into account with benzo addiction, but a good rule of thumb is use for no more than 3 days in a row, i believe.
Any more and you may suffer - especially if you've previously had a benzo habit.

Yep, for someone with a previous benzo habit I wouldn't risk even taking it 3 days in a row..the mind/body remembers the past too well..benzos are good for getting to sleep but I wake up groggy from them