• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Benefits of Colonidin vs other types of meds for withdrawal symptoms

buttershots21

Bluelighter
So I've heard that Clonidine is useful for opiate withdrawals. What symptoms does it specifically help with? I have a bunch of other meds available for helping me through withdrawals such as Xanax, Zanaflex, Propanolol (haven't used yet for withdrawal though I'm prescribed to take it nightly as a migraine preventative) Lomotil, Gabapentin and Zofran.

Should I just add the Clonidine to the regimen I already have? Should I use it to replace one or more of the above meds that I currently take? I hate taking the Gabapentin, I hate the way it makes me feel, but when a gal is desperate for relief, well we all know how that goes. I also try and stay hydrated and I have Seroquel to take if sleep is hard to come by. Nothing is going to make me feel 100% but the closer the better!

Any other tips or tricks to help get through WDs? I've read a hundred threads, I've been through this dozens of times, and so I'm looking for the unusual here, or something I've missed? I'm going to have some Kratom here soon, but idk if it will be here in time for my fun and games start. Would taking Kratom with the rest of my regimen be a good idea or a bad one? I know getting a hold of Suboxone would be my best bet, but I still have to get through 3 days of nothing, it seems that taking the Sub anytime earlier than that is just wasting it. It doesn't make me feel any better no matter how little or how much I take it, how long I wait, (24-36 hours usual wait time) or which ROA I use.

So Clonidine. Give me the scoop peeps. The only thing the insert from the pharmacy says is that it is sometimes used to help with opiate withdrawals.

I have a prescription for Clonidine .1mg myself (prescribed for Buprenorphine withdrawal).... Along with 2.5mg Lomotil (for withdrawal induced diarrhea ) . Basically clonidine is low dose blood pressure medication that is given to help calm you and I have heard others say that it helps with cravings but I personally don't experience a craving for Butrans so I'm not sure if it will help you with that or not. If I may ask what opiate are you going to be withdrawing from ?

Imagine a tree fell on your beloved collection Corvette that you took care of for the past 10 years. That's opioid withdrawals. Now imagine your neighbor tapping you on the back saying hey, at least your house is still intact! That's Clonidine. That's how much better you'll feel.

I don't agree - i found clonidine really useful for dealing wiyh RLS, which for me is yhe worst part of acute opiate WDs.
ymmv though.

Clonidine will lessen the sympathetic nervous system response during withdrawal, as it'll lower your bp and heart rate. It might as well help with RLS and hot/cold flashes
Clonidine and propanolol both will lower your bp so combining them can lead to an extremely low bp which can result in nasty side effects and if it's low enough it can actually kill you, so best talk to a doctor about the dosages

What opioid did you take and at what dosage ?

Clonidine is fantastic for the RLS which used to wake me up earlier and earlier in the morning. Now at least I can have a lie in, i highly recommend it for RLS, take half of an .1mg tab before bed :)

I don't agree - i found clonidine really useful for dealing wiyh RLS, which for me is yhe worst part of acute opiate WDs.
ymmv though.

Never claimed otherwise, I love my neighbors! :)