• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Dissociatives Benadryl withdrawals?? Please help.

Pat84

Bluelighter
I was taking three to five (sometimes more) Benadryl daily for about two years. Started to notice it wasn’t working as much and then started getting terrible stomach acid/heartburn, so I stopped. But now, it is twenty times worse. So distended and bloated that it’s hard to take deep breaths. Very noisy guts and in a lot of gastric distress. Is this Benadryl withdrawal? Does anybody know anything about this? I could not find much but I found some information about how people feel going off benzos and read about something called “benzo belly” when WDing from those, and the description sounds very, very similar to what I’m experiencing. I know that Benadryl is not really a benzo, but hear me out on this. Apparently, I read one comment somewhere where somebody said that trying to go off it after long term usage can have similar effects, but there was not much info beyond that. I’m just really confused.

Thing is, I had a problem with Benadryl before this, around maybe four years ago, where I only used one to 25 mg tablets every day for only about a year. And I remember I had really nasty, really abnormal heartburn. But not as much as what I’m feeling now. It’s more like a massive amount of trapped gas that feels like I am going to literally explode. It’s extremely uncomfortable. Also extremely thirsty and woke up this morning, urine is dark, so I am guessing I am dehydrated. Would really like some information on this if anybody has any.

With that kind of use there would be a discontinuation of sorts.

In these situations it is always best to taper off. Would suggest going back on (at a lower dose) and tapering off to avoid (or perhaps more accurately, lessen) the cholinergic rebound you are experiencing.

With that kind of use there would be a discontinuation of sorts.

In these situations it is always best to taper off. Would suggest going back on (at a lower dose) and tapering off to avoid (or perhaps more accurately, lessen) the cholinergic rebound you are experiencing.
Can this, the Benadryl, be the cause of my recent and severe GI problems?? It seems like I have problems when using it (from long term usage, for a little over two years) but even worse when I stop it. I had a basic check up at the doctor last week but no fever or rose in blood pressure or anything, so I don’t believe there is anything else going on here. I just can’t seem to get deep breaths in, especially whilst standing up, because of the insane bloating and abdominal distension. Is it different for everybody, or does Benadryl cause stomach and gastro problems like that?