• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Belsomra (Suvorexant)

Bennydunk

Greenlighter
So my doctor gave me a free trial of a new sleeping pill, Belsomra, that came out just this week in the US and it hasn't seemed to do anything to me so far. I only have 20 mgs left and would like to know if there's anything I can do to make them work tonight (plugging is an option, but I don't know if that will make any difference). I have tried taking tagamet before it too and nothing. Any ideas?

The oral BA of suvorexant is pretty high. What kind of dose are you taking?

I wonder why it's schedule 4 in the US? Orexin receptor antagonists are kind of a new class of drugs. I didn't know they were euphoric or anything.

Yeah I saw that it the oral BA was like 82% so I figured a new roa wouldn't help. But I'm just trying to get some sleep and 20mgs is the highest dose, which seems to do absolutely nothing to me. So I have no idea why its schedule 4. The FDA or DEA or whoever makes those schedules probably just thinks that until its proven harmless they need to control it. Which, if you ask me, is pretty much the opposite approach they should be taking.

It's really odd that it's IV, but eh, the US loves scheduling things. What doses are you taking of it? Also as Sekio said Orexin receptor antagonists are rather new, any information would be appreciated.

If you only have 20mg left and that's the dose you're taking.. you may well just give it away or something. I don't think this is very abusable.

Well about all the information I have after taking my last dose last night is that it did absolutely nothing to me. I didn't want to pay the crazy prices for a brand name drug after the trial anyway so I guess I'll stick with my ambien. I even tried 30mgs one night and it still was like I took sugar pills. Maybe its just me and it will work on other people though.

I'd like to add an update. I was informed by the drug rep that gave me the trial that, for some reason, Belsomra doesn't work on patients that had taken zolpidem within the last 7-14 days, which I had. Not too sure how true this is, but we can probably discount my experience and let someone else tell us about it.

I wonder why it's schedule 4 in the US? Orexin receptor antagonists are kind of a new class of drugs. I didn't know they were euphoric or anything.

The DEA received an objection to the drug's scheduling. This is how they replied:

Request Not To Control Suvorexant

One commenter opposed controlling suvorexant because they believed that there was a lack of strong scientific evidence that suvorexant has been abused, and the comparison of suvorexant with zolpidem (schedule IV) is incorrect due to each compound eliciting its effects via different mechanisms of action. The commenter was also concerned that controlling suvorexant will make it more difficult for patients to obtain the substance once it is approved by the FDA.

DEA Response: The DEA does not agree. Suvorexant is a novel, first in class, new chemical substance and information on actual abuse data is not currently available. The legislative history of the CSA addresses the assessment of a new drug's potential for abuse,\2\ and data from clinical studies investigating the abuse potential for suvorexant suggests that its effect is similar to zolpidem (schedule IV). Similarly, while the mechanism of action for suvorexant is distinct from any currently marketed drug for insomnia, human abuse potential studies demonstrated that suvorexant produced effects that were indistinguishable from zolpidem (schedule IV).

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fed_regs/rules/2014/fr0828.htm

I don't believe they cited the studies they referred to.

Fwiw, this drug has like zero recreation value. Or negative recreation value, if you will. The DEA are a bunch of fools.

Like any government organ, the DEA wants to increase it's power and scope. It seems that any sedative/hypnotic is slapped in Schedule IV unless there is a very good reason not to. Remember, the criterion is abuse "potential", not documented patterns of abuse. Even the awesome power of Big Pharma cannot overcome the bureaucrats' rapacious appetite. Once it has been on the market for a few years and pharma can document that it is not being abused (but who collects those statistics? the DEA) recreationally or as a "date-rape" drug and people are not regularly crashing their cars or sleepwalking in traffic, only then might the DEA down-schedule the drug. There are precious-few examples of this, however. In fact, I can't think of one example of the top of my head.

So this drug isn't enjoyable at all?

I wouldn't say that zolpidem ("Ambien") is "recreational" necessarily, but it is somewhat enjoyable IMO. I like the feeling of the drug taking effect, personally...it's like a strange combination of a benzodiazepine and a mild psychedelic drug.

I tried it, and detailed some of the results starting here in another Belsomra thread. I was not impressed. Wasn't even looking for recreation just for sleep.

The DEA quote above is abject nonsense.

I am also a sleep medicine patient. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and will probably just ask for another 10 mg zolpidem script, I guess. My usual prescription.

I've been on every possible z-drug and then some. I really want to get back on temazepam, or maybe even flurazepam, but my doctor isn't really a fan and I've already established a decent relationship with him so I don't want to leave that just to drug-seek, I also don't want to self-treat on general principle and/or rely on black market sources that may dry up and leave me with only my legitimate benzo supply which by then would be terribly insufficient. I'm trying to work with him through various possibilities though. Eventually perhaps I'll find something agreeable. The best so far has been zaleplon, but it's too weird, too short lived, and sometimes becomes a bit compulsive to take another pill, then maybe even another ... if the sleep does not come readily ... the state that comes after that, is not a good one.

If it's not pleasurable, then is it a discomfort?

Most drugs that induce sleep give me a pleasurable feeling, like, damn I'm ready to go to bed ":)" or a gross-feeling like, fuck, i need to sleep to get rid of this feeling.

Does anyone know where to find the study(s) in which this was found to have abuse potential. I'm curious about the methodology that goes into figuring that out (controls and alpha levels and such).

Lol, yeah, it's the second one: "fuck, I need to get some sleep to get rid of this feeling." Ambien is a lot more fun--even though ambien isn't all that fun. Belsomra works for sleep for me though.

Lol, yeah, it's the second one: "fuck, I need to get some sleep to get rid of this feeling." Ambien is a lot more fun--even though ambien isn't all that fun. Belsomra works for sleep for me though.

Damn.... I have been waiting for this drug, too.

I have been trying ramelteon (Rorezem), a melatonin receptor agonist. It actually works pretty decently. It doesn't knock me out exactly and does better paired with another sedative but it without a doubt increases the quality of sleep and makes it easier for me who often works evenings/nights to integrate a weird sleeping schedule. I give it 3.5 stars.