• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Belsomra (suvorexant). New sleep med

Slow_Mobius

Bluelight Crew
TL;DR Looking for any info or experience that anyone has on this drug. Also wondering if people have experience taking ambien with benzos for insomnia

So I have a pretty fortunate situation right now where my doctor trusts me to do my own research on drugs, and he will probably prescribe what I ask for. Something that he mentioned at my last visit was belsomra. Belsomra or suvorexant (generic) is a new sleeping drug that acts differently from any other current medications indicated for insomnia. DEA scheduled it as a schedule IV controlled substance among the likes of z-drugs, benzos, etc. It's only been out for a couple years, and insurance will normally only cover it after patients have failed pretty much every everything else. There's very very little on BL or anywhere for that matter on the drugs efficacy, rec value, side-effects, etc. I obviously have access to studies, but that only captures a narrow glimpse of what the researchers were looking for.

I've been taking ambien IR for over a year now. Admittedly, I often take around 10-20 mg to catch a great buzz (I'm a one of the few people who love ambien) before drifting off to wondrous sleep, but it is not a nightly thing... I still go through about 150 mg a month (5mg a day average). Switched to ambien CR almost 2 months ago, but I don't like it as much as I don't sleep any longer on it and the effects definitely linger into the next day. Anyways, I'm thinking about making the switch to belsomra, but I also take kratom daily and smoke pretty frequently. There's so little on belsomra that I'm definitely going to be a guinea pig mixing it with my herbal regiment for pain management.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has anything they can share on belsomra. I'm mainly concerned about mixing it with kratom or herb. My doctor also suggested just taking ambien with a benzo every night, but I really don't think that would be any better than taking higher doses of ambien and smoking a little. I would like to try the belsomra, but I'm hesitant over the lack of information. Thanks for any responses! :D

Its an orexin receptor antagonist. not sure about rec. potential but that will help you look it up and find out.

I did see that it antagonizes orexin, but i have no idea if what that means biochemically. I guess I'm not sure that would interplay with opioid and cannabinoid agonism

I tried it a couple months ago for my chronic insomnia... I took it for 10 days and it did absolutely nothing for me... I could have taken a sugar pill and gotten the same effect.. I kid you not... NOTHING