• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Being refused goin on the heart donation list...

Crackle pop

Bluelighter
At 37 and after 8 heart attacks and a failed double heart bypass and now a fully occluded left ventricle aka the widow maker .
Now the surgeons have refused me more surgery and refused me a place on the transplant list as steroids and coke abuse has caused alot if my issue. But at 37 I feel this is unfair now I no longer use any steroids and only crack occasionally but nothing not even a deal if I stop using like I have nothing just point blank no at 37 years old. Do I have any say in this? Is the anything I can do to help my case ... any advice at all is very much appreciated guys.

i would consult the CAB assuming you're in the UK

is there anything that would put you at high risk of not surviving a future operation? and if so, is there anything you can do to improve your chances?

for a start, i would stop using crack completely. can you go to rehab?

the decisions around organ donation need to take into account the impact on the person receiving the donation compared to other people, and the impact on the donor's family. most bereaved families are not going to allow their loved ones heart to go to an addict, they are much more likely to be cool with a recovering addict. i am not sure who much the feeligns of the bereaved are taken into account when selecting organ recipients. the sad fact is there aren't enough hearts to go round.

my suspicion is that all you can do is make sure every action you take improves the likely outcome of you receiving a heart. they will have heard 'what if i stopped using' a million times, 'i haven't used since we last met, and i've done frequent piss tests, all clean, to prove it' might be more compelling. but do contact CAB and see if you can get some other surgeons to give a second opinion.

i'm so sorry you're in this position. i wish there was something more useful i could say.