• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Being intoxicated while travelling

cowardescent

Bluelighter
Is this illegal? I'm not talking about to the point where you are 'wasted' and can't stand up but combining alcohol plus benzodiazepines/z-drugs.

The reason I ask is because I'm planning on travelling to New York at the end of this year after receiving a COVID-19 vaccine. On my previous trip to the United States back in 2017, I took 80mg of Valium (diazepam) along with 500ml of wine and blacked out for 10 hours. Well blacked out isn't correct but you bl'er's know that GABAergics can cause waking amnesia where you are semi-alert to alert but don't remember anything at all afterwards. Went through customs and immigration in LAX with no memory.

I'm not 100% sure but I imagine it's not a problem unless you start being belligerent or commit some other crime. Something like that would probably earn you some sort of drunk in public charge.

Not sure of the legality but they can definitely kick you off the airplane and bar you from flying for 24hrs. I w flying on News Years Day from Ft Lauderdale to Salt Lake City with a connecting flight in Baltimore. When I completed the first leg of the trip, (Ft Laud to Balt) I had a few hour lay over in Baltimore onI went to the restaurant in the airport and had a couple drinks. I had taken some xanax but at the time i was regularly abusing so it wasnt a big deal. They flagged me and removed me from the flight. I was not being disrespectful, loud obnoxious etc or or anything. I was sitting there minding my business n thought i looked fine. They pulled me off the flight and made me wait 24hrs to fly.

So bc careful bc if they think you look too intoxicated they can and will.do the same to you. Luckily I had someone in the area that could pick me up, let me spend the night and bring me back the next day. If you dont have someone Idk wtf they expect you to do. Id hate to have this issue travelling international!!!

Last edited:
Yeah, you will not be able to board any flights ( Domestic or International ) if you appear to be under the influence of any drug or alcohol to the point that you are stumbling, slurring your words, or even just acting a bit funny. If they allowed you to board you would be a liability and obviously they don't want to babysit you on the flight. If you are already in the air and you start to nod ( and that's all you do ) you will be okay. But if you are nodding while waiting at the Concourse to board they will defer you for 24 hours like HTL said. Better to just enjoy the experience and if you are afraid to fly just take a prescribed dose and you will be fine. For sure don't put any alcohol in the mix. There will be time for that when you land at your destination. Have a fun trip.

Not sure of the legality but they can definitely kick you off the airplane and bar you from flying for 24hrs. I w flying on News Years Day from Ft Lauderdale to Salt Lake City with a connecting flight in Baltimore. When I completed the first leg of the trip, (Ft Laud to Balt) I had a few hour lay over in Baltimore onI went to the restaurant in the airport and had a couple drinks. I had taken some xanax but at the time i was regularly abusing so it wasnt a big deal. They flagged me and removed me from the flight. I was not being disrespectful, loud obnoxious etc or or anything. I was sitting there minding my business n thought i looked fine. They pulled me off the flight and made me wait 24hrs to fly.

So bc careful bc if they think you look too intoxicated they can and will.do the same to you. Luckily I had someone in the area that could pick me up, let me spend the night and bring me back the next day. If you dont have someone Idk wtf they expect you to do. Id hate to have this issue travelling international!!!
Spot on.

It's only ever going to be a problem if you are somehow problematic or disruptive. They can always charge you with public intox. - but other than that, it's not necessarily illegal to do anything high.

You could walk up to a cop and say "I'm high as a kite", but as long as you're acting normal they can't do anything about it. Being high is not illegal in itself. At least in the US.

(I'm speaking about police and legality, I'm sure airports can technically refuse service to anyone for any reason)

Sorry for being a nerd. I wonder why you take diazepam with alcohol? 80mg of diazepam is a very high dose. Considering that both (alcohol and diazepam) inhibit brain function, it's sharply raising the risk of respiratory inhibition, increasing your death likelihood by overdosing. Benzodiazepines are the main cause of anterograde amnesia and answering your question, it will help if you start a travel journal (https://www.thetravellog.net) where you could write down every event you've been through)). Finally, I'm not our mother, but I highly suggest forgetting about that dangerous combination.

Last edited: