• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Beginners how to. In neuroscience and narcotics effects and study of chemicals that affect the brain

Crackwhacker

Bluelighter
Can anyone tell me the best plan of action and studies books and practical to study and learn about drugs effects and the study of creating new drug compunds I am soon to be enrolling on a science degree basic level first but I wish to progress in the study of what drugs and possible new drug formulas that will effect the human mind

Any particular websites or books manuals that anyone's usedcor read which will help with study research etc thanks

Chemistry R&D (research and development), analogs, new drug discovery, books or online topics in that vein, is that what you are asking? Shulgin is everyone's go to, but searching for new articles on pubmed is how I go about it for myself.

Believe it or not, check out Wikipedia.

Yup !! Sounds exactly what I'm looking for thank you

I wrote the list of cocaine analogues @ WP using the research of others, of course. It was influenced by all the cannabis THC analogs; and it further spawned phenyltropanes list & methylphenidates. Influenced by Shulgin's books, the substituted amphetamines were there before I delved into cocaine for the same reasons. I made the phenmetrazine substitutions page which became the page the substituted phenylmorpholines after the latter too. Good place to view QSAR and get familiar with it is WP IMHO.

I wish to progress in the study of what drugs and possible new drug formulas that will effect the human mind

Molecular biology & organic chemistry are two key disciplines. Don't expect to learn everything overnight either. Most drug discovery these days is conducted through the 'blunderbuss aproach' where researchers aim to test as many compounds as quickly as possible and only later attempt to discern any patterns.

If you are the practical type it may be better to approach your education from the "top down" by starting with learning pharmacy/medicine in general, focusing on the practical half of it all, rather than starting with the much more abstract disciplines of organic chemistry, cell biology, physics, etc. You will probably get more use out of memorizing common classes of drugs and their mechanisms of action rather than memorizing the periodic table or a bunch of named reactions you will never use.

Last edited: