• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Beginner Mushroom Grower With Questions.

Isaactaylorw

Greenlighter
I currently started my first batch of cubensis and they are currently in the incubation process. How long will it take for my jars to fully colonize using the PF TEK method?

I currently started my first batch of cubensis and they are currently in the incubation process. How long will it take for my jars to fully colonize using the PF TEK method?

For me, it was so long ago I can't really remember, but I want to say 2-3 weeks until my jars were colonized and ready for first flush. You will know when they start to take. Make sure you watch out for a sudden "bolt" though, as this may be an indicator of contamination and need to segregate/sterilize/destroy a cake or two. Look at them at least twice a day, in low light conditions. Don't get impatient.

If these are for personal assay, I strongly recommend fresh over dried, live mushies have a mind of their own (really though...)

Have fun, be safe.

For me, it was so long ago I can't really remember, but I want to say 2-3 weeks until my jars were colonized and ready for first flush. You will know when they start to take. Make sure you watch out for a sudden "bolt" though, as this may be an indicator of contamination and need to segregate/sterilize/destroy a cake or two. Look at them at least twice a day, in low light conditions. Don't get impatient.

If these are for personal assay, I strongly recommend fresh over dried, live mushies have a mind of their own (really though...)

Have fun, be safe.

I've been growing for ~ 3 yrs, and so far have only used PF tek method; none of my bulk grows have worked.

21 days is a good start to assume complete colonization. Despite what is said above, please do NOT check twice each day, even in low light conditions. That is a sure fire method of encouraging in vitro pinning, which you do not want. I know it's hard to wait the first time, but the payoff will be better. If really impatient (and hell, who isn't), check once at day 10 and day 20, and once every 5 days thereafter.

Eventually, you will be able to tell when they're completely colonized. And then give them an extra 3 days to allow the mycelium to completely consolidate in the jar.

However, to distinguish between constant checking, and periodic, but infrequent checking, set one jhar aside and check twice a day. You'll see the difference if you have enough light tro start the process of pinning.

Good luck.

Tom

However, to distinguish between constant checking, and periodic, but infrequent checking, set one jhar aside and check twice a day. You'll see the difference if you have enough light tro start the process of pinning.

Good luck.

Tom

I should have included that I used a red headlamp set to low, in my completely enclosed and sanitized (twice a day) grow area to check jars. Using this method I was able to segregate and eliminate one contaminated jar from six total before it became an issue.

Probably a little too much TLC, but I'm just a tender loving type of guy, I guess 8).

Hey thanks everyone. I could agree im impatient but I'm working on it. Have only been checking every 3 or so days. How long until I can expect the first signs of mycelium growth?

Hey thanks everyone. I could agree im impatient but I'm working on it. Have only been checking every 3 or so days. How long until I can expect the first signs of mycelium growth?

If you've started from a spore syringe, 9-12 days. If you've started from liquid culture, then 3 days. Stop check; you will not make it colonize any faster, and might trigger in vitro pinning. That gets very messy to deal with.

As a first time grower, assume failure, leave it alone until day 10 and then check. Seriously; is it going to make you feel any better to see nothing over and over :)

If you get mushrooms growing in the jar and want to remove them, then you've got to destroy the cake to get at them, and then you're pretty much forced to do a rez trek with the crumbled cake.

Tom

How many jars did you start? What date?

#1 rule for beginers is BE PATIENT.

Above answers are right, around 14-21 days depending.

Personally, I much prefer bulk grows, in which you would break the colonized cakes apart on to a flat substrate and allow colonization of the entire bottom of the grow tank. Resulting in longer grow time, but also MUCH higher yeilds, along with a much sexier appearing grow lol

Nothing quite like a beautiful cluster of home grown cubensis. Its truely an amazing experience. Ill never forget my first trip from fresh shrooms that I had grown myself.

The mushrooms are a key, to something amazing. The beauty is that the truth is all around you and once you open the box, its open.

It might sound weird, but I enjoy speaking to the mushrooms. You might be surprised by what you learn!

Good luck!!

Good luck!!!

Hey everyone. I am beginning a second batch of PF TEK cakes and I want to try a different ratio of ingredients so I may see which of the two works better. The formula for my first batch was 50% vermiculite, 25 % brown rice flour, and 25 % water. Does anyone have any better ratios they would recommend? What has worked best for you all?