• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Bath salts more addictive than meth

poledriver

Bluelighter
Bath salts more addictive than meth

Washington, July 11 (ANI): Researchers have found that the emerging recreational drug that has been sold as “bath salts” could be more addictive than methamphetamine, one of the most addictive substances to date.

“We observed that rats will press a lever more often to get a single infusion of MPDV than they will for meth, across a fairly wide dose range,” The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) Associate Professor Michael A. Taffe, who was the principal investigator of the study, said.

MDPV (3,4-methylenedioxypyrovalerone) and other “bath salts” drugs are actually derived from cathinone, the principal active ingredient in khat, a leaf chewed for its stimulant effects throughout northeast Africa and the Arabian peninsula.

Synthesized by pharmaceutical companies decades ago but never used, cathinone derivatives were rediscovered by underground chemists in the early 2000s.

The drugs have been sold as “bath salts” or “plant food” to skirt laws against marketing them for internal use, but in the US, UK, Canada and many other countries, their sale for any purpose is now banned.

Cathinone derivatives inhibit the normal removal of the neurotransmitters dopamine, noradrenaline and serotonin from synapses (the small gap separating neurons that enables cell-to-cell communication).

In this way, the derivatives disturb the activity of brain networks that mediate desire, pleasure, muscle movements and cognition.

Users have described classic stimulant effects such as an initial euphoria, increased physical activity, an inability to sleep and a lack of desire for food or water-plus almost irresistible cravings to take more of the drug.

Higher doses bring a strong risk of paranoid psychoses, violence and suicide.

The findings are published online in the journal Neuropharmacology. (ANI)

http://truthdive.com/2013/07/11/Bath-salts-more-addictive-than-meth.html

lol. Yeah.

But this part was kind of interesting I thought -

“We observed that rats will press a lever more often to get a single infusion of MPDV than they will for meth, across a fairly wide dose range,” The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) Associate Professor Michael A. Taffe, who was the principal investigator of the study, said.

That's cool, some rats obviously prefer mpdv than meth as their drug of choice. Freedom to the rats!

I wonder if there was a lever for cannabis if the rats would pull that and just chill out and go back for another hit every now and then, I bet with the meth and mpdv they get all fast and furious and keep hammering on that damn lever, GIVE ME ANOTHER HIT!

I wonder if there was a lever for cannabis if the rats would pull that and just chill out and go back for another hit every now and then, I bet with the meth and mpdv they get all fast and furious and keep hammering on that damn lever, GIVE ME ANOTHER HIT!
haha yeah i'll bet. Mainline shit.

I agree, it's interesting...but proves nothing. Thanks for the article mane

There's a lot of studies that essentially prove nothing but that doesn't stop people from quoting them like they're gospel on BL. Are you not convinced that MDPV is an addictive drug than can be dangerous? You think it's getting a bad rap from the media and all the horror stories are just bullshit? Just curious...

There's a lot of studies that essentially prove nothing but that doesn't stop people from quoting them like they're gospel on BL. Are you not convinced that MDPV is an addictive drug than can be dangerous? You think it's getting a bad rap from the media and all the horror stories are just bullshit? Just curious...
I believe drawing any conclusions is illogical as no proper studies have been done. To state that this is truth is a fallacy

When I read things like "Higher doses bring a strong risk of paranoid psychoses, violence and suicide" my media BS detector goes thru the roof. Sorry in my opinion these are just recycled myths used for PCP in the 80s and meth in the 90's. You can tell joe public anything about any new drug and they will believe it. Like there is a drug that makes you violent or makes you commit suicide. That's absolute nonsense.

Are you not convinced that MDPV is an addictive drug than can be dangerous?

It seems to be a pretty addictive drug that can be extremely dangerous for some people. Look at that guy in that video -

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/369739-DiTM-Videos-Thread?p=11666456&viewfull=1#post11666456

That's crazy. I'm not saying some people can probably use the drug responsibly and not get addicted, but for some people it seems to trigger some major meltdown shit. And we've all seen what meth can do to some people also, but again, im sure there are plenty of people who can use it responsibly and not skitz out or become addicted. One of my close mates used it for a few months smoking it and then seemed to get off it and quit it with out too much hassle, and he didnt lose the plot or do anything stupid whilst on it. Everyones different and the reactions of drugs and addictions with different people and their personalities is individual and unique, it's hard to put everyone or a certain drug into any defined basket.

Some people can casually use meth or heroin or bath salts and have no adverse reactions to their lifestyle or health whilst others can become full blown addicts and sometimes die from it. Some people have major adverse reactions to cannabis and never want to use it again, and may preach how dangerous it is, other people can use it for most of their life and have no problems at all.

Some people can casually use meth or heroin or bath salts and have no adverse reactions to their lifestyle or health whilst others can become full blown addicts and sometimes die from it. Some people have major adverse reactions to cannabis and never want to use it again, and may preach how dangerous it is, other people can use it for most of their life and have no problems at all.

I agree.

High doses of media are more likely to increase your prejudice against drug users by at least 90%.

Repeated exposure could result in permanent brain damage.

I personally think MDPV does have a higher potential for causing paranoid psychosis than any of the classic stimulants that people have used for years. This is based on comparing how it affected me personally and observing and listening to other peoples experience with it. The fact that it makes people "bat-shit crazy" to greater extent than meth and cocaine is pretty much universally accepted as being true by anyone who has even a modest range of experience with these drugs. In fact, people who don't experience any negative side-effects from MDPV are definitely in the minority. I've really only met one person who used it who didn't become paranoid and experience extreme discomfort from it. It's known that meth and cocaine and methylphenidate can all cause the same things, but it happens much less frequently. The general arguments of whether all drugs should be legal or not or the argument that not everyone becomes addicted to "addictive drugs" is completely different.

If MDPV wasn't such a horrible drug that was causing people to kill themselves and do crazy shit, the media's attention would never have been drawn to all the RC's and they'd probably still be legal in many places.

i think the important question is did the rats get the good stuff stuffmonger was looking for, or the newer knockoffs?

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that Methamphetamine's half-life is about twice as long as MDPV.

My friend, you and I think alike.

Edit - Sometimes I don't think at all. I suppose I could have edited my previous comment, but my short term memory is so fucked up that I forgot I even posted.

The Article said:
MDPV (3,4-methylenedioxypyrovalerone) and other “bath salts” drugs are actually derived from cathinone, the principal active ingredient in khat, a leaf chewed for its stimulant effects throughout northeast Africa and the Arabian peninsula.

Jesus, for special definitions of "derived". Fuck this article.

polediver said:
That's cool, some rats obviously prefer mpdv than meth as their drug of choice.

Not really. This might just suggest that MDPV's initial effects have a much briefer duration than meth's.

ebola