• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Basic step up in opioid potency from OTC codeine products?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
I occasionally take some Solpidine - not much of a recreational drug user.

Tried ketamine and shrooms - hated both of them.

But - opioids give a wonderful feeling of well being.

Obviously I'm don't want to become a junkie - but I'm looking for something with a little more potency.

What would be the next step up from OTC solpidine/codeine?

Oxycodone - or what?

mate don't be disrespectful, idk what got into you but please answer seriously, yeah we make jokes between us, but this person asked seriously

Not sure what you mean @morpheuspapaverus?

If it came across that way it was not and never will be my intention. I have the utmost respect for people here you know that.

I have corrected my last post, meant to say “is” not “isn’t.”

If you are careful, poppy seed (pod would be better if you can get it) tea could be that's easier to try. Be careful, be slow, don't repeat more than 2 days in a row and no more than twice a week. It's the one that will show you everything about opiates, good and bad so respect is the key. Good luck, be safe.

If you are careful, poppy seed (pod would be better if you can get it) tea could be that's easier to try. Be careful, be slow, don't repeat more than 2 days in a row and no more than twice a week. It's the one that will show you everything about opiates, good and bad so respect is the key. Good luck, be safe.
I think it's a bad idea, you never know rhe level of alkaloids in the extract, and for someone without a tolerance like him could lead to an unpleasant od associated with nausea and respiratory depression. I think dhc is the right step up like subtec said, some would say tramadol but the ssri part and seizure risk makes it unfriendly to a beginner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree; I wasn't sure about writing it because of the difficulty with dosing right, even if you aren't opiate naive. On the other hand, it's the original after all so I couldn't not write it. As you said, DHC is a much safer next step.

The most common opioid ladder that doctors follow is:

Codeine -> Dihydrocodeine -> Morphine or Hydrocodone -> Oxycodone -> Hydromorphone or Oxymorphone -> Fentanyl -> Fentanyl Analogues (I extremely doubt you'll get this high up).

I'm on Oxycodone which is about half way up.

I don't recommend Tramadol as I don't consider it a true opioid plus your on Codeine which is equally as potent as Tramadol so it would be pointless changing to Tramadol.

Last edited:
That ladder can only really work if in The US, other countries follow different potency paths.

If you have any serotonin issues Tramadol can be an absolute miracle with its instantaneous SSRI/SRA properties. But if you want pure my agonism then stick to the normal route!!

The most common opioid ladder that doctors follow is:

Codeine -> Dihydrocodeine -> Morphine or Hydrocodone -> Oxycodone -> Hydromorphone or Oxymorphone -> Fentanyl -> Fentanyl Analogues (I extremely doubt you'll get this high up).

I'm on Oxycodone which is about half way up.

I don't recommend Tramadol as I don't consider it a true opioid plus your on Codeine which is equally as potent as Tramadol so it would be pointless changing to Tramadol.
This. Watch out with opiates, they are very deceiving... By the time you realise, you've wasted tons of money, 5+years of ur life and suffering agonizing wds. Take your precautions. NZN

I would say kratom or DHC. Both are legal and "OTC" in many countries except the USA where any opioid product is scheduled. Kratom would be a perfect next step before moving up on the true opioid ladder. If you are dead set on real opioids though then the DHC or propoxyphene.

I'd go with Kratom too. Its effects are a bit dose-dependent (more energizing in lower, more sedating in higher doses) and varying between the strains, but I found it more enjoyable than codeine or tramadol (only took mid-to-low dose of those, though).
Codeine was alright but tramadol felt weirdly cold to me. Also, Kratom is a bit more forgiving re overdose risk, though you still should start low and find your desired dose.

Last edited:
I wish I had tried this plant for my severe colitis pain before Oxy, it doesn’t even come close now!!

Try kratom or even tramadol first. They are in the same league as codeine but have different mechanisms of action.

If you try tramadol dont go above 300mg, especially if you are not using benzodiazepines (stay off benzos for recreation!!!), due to tramadols propensity to cause seizure at 400mg+ level doses. Some people metabolize tramadol into O-desmethyl-tramadol better then others and they are those people who really like tramadol. O-desmethyl-tramadol is metabolite which is actually most potent mu-opioid agonist that tramadol has to offer. Beside that, tramadol is also a serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI), with imidiate effect. Be cautius for interactions. Tramadol is a weird drug, people love it or hate it. I guess it depends on how good is your body in converting from parent drug to O-desmethyl-tramadol metabolite.

Other opioid I would strongly suggest, before going up in the opioid hierarchy is KRATOM. If you live in USA than it is legal and even if you are not from states there is a high probability that kratom is legal in your country. Before ordering check the legal status. I say ordering because you don't want kratom from head shops but from some reputable vendor. There are many great vendors out there. To talk about strains, special mixtures, tinctures and other things would take me ages. Use the search engine to find about it. I will say that my 3 favorite strains were "Green Malay", "Red Bali" (actually Red Borneo but it is called Bali) and "Red Thai Maeng Da".

Kratom is a plant with complex pharmacology, but is similar to tramadol in that it is also SN(D?)RI. Kratom effects multiple opioid receptors (mu, kappa, delta), serotonin, norepinephrine, dopamine and is NMDA receptor antagonists. It does all that and who knows what else. Research of kratom is disgrace to such complex plant. But it is a plant so there is one big reason why very few are interested.

With the right strain (mix) and appropriate dosage kratom can get you feel similar to 10mg oxycodone. That is at least my experience with this very useful opioid. Having said that, kratom is partial agonist of mu opioid receptor and you can not expect effects you would get from high dose of strong opioids like oxycodone or morphine. If you go into kratom extracts that can change but then you are at the level of strong opioids and price you pay is high financially and also psychologically. Stay away from extracts and kratom will be more than enough.

You don't have to go directly to oxycodone/hydrocodone/morphine, so kratom is what I consider logical next step if you insist to go deeper into opioid world. I am not your mother but I have to say that you are playing with fire. If you are not very stable person opioids will control you eventually. THERE ARE people who can control their intake and do even heroin once or twice a month. Maybe, as some statistics are showing, this stable recreational opioid users are majority, I would not be surprised. BUT if you suffer from depression or anxiety disorder then you have found your cure that will become your curse when your tolerance inevitably goes up.

I will assume that you are stable person that can control their intake of opioids. In that case don't make the mistake off skipping grades and go directly to oxycodone from codeine. Kratom has lot to offer if you treat it with respect it truly deserves. It is a world of its own with different types (think in terms "hydro-krat, "oxy-krat", "morph-krat"...) and high dosage variability.

Tramadol is an option, but kratom is just much better one. It is overall safer, legal to buy, much more diverse and better IME and withdrawal is easier to handle than withdrawal from tramadol.

Stay safe. Peace.

Soma

forgot about kratom entirely, nice post man, couldn't say it better

if you donate enough we can have a whole building made for you with your name like other graduate celebrities in real life

And also poppy seed/pod tea is essentially oral morphine which is a much bigger step up than kratom or tramadol