• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Basic Methadone Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

john3434

Bluelighter
I have the option of obtaining a handful of methadone pills (not sure exact quantity or mg) and had a few questions before going through with it. First, what is a good dose for simple recreational use for a few days. Secondly, if one were to take a fairly low dose for only 2-3 days, would the length of time before regular opiates could be felt be the standard 2-4 days, or would it be less considering the low dosage and the short period of use. When I refer to regular opiates I'm talking about something along the lines of 2 10mg percs.

Since you have basically no tolerance, I would start with 5mg of methadone, then wait atleast 2-3 hours before re-dosing if you aren't high enough. Methadone is a strong opiate, and can make you sick for quite a while if you accidently take too much. If you took a low dose a couple of times, it wouldn't block the effects of something else like percocet if you took that the day after methadone. I take 75mg daily but I have a high tolerance, and go to the methadone clinic. I gave my mom around 10mg one time because she had a wicked tooth ache, and she ended up throwing up.

Lesson is, be fucking careful with methadone. Don't re-dose too soon. And the half life is quite long, so 24 hours after you dose you may not be high, but there will still be methadone in your system. If you re-dose at this point your doses will still kinda be stacked together which also could lead to getting sick/overdose.

Bottom line, be careful if you do end up going through with it. In my opinion since you have little tolerance, your money may be better spent onsomething like oxycodone or hydrocodone.

Thanks for the advice. My tolerance isn't actually that low, I guess. For example, it takes about 40-50mg of oxy for me to catch a good strong buzz. Not strung out right now, but from past use my tolerance seems to be permanently high. Would that tolerance change any of your recommendations?

Also, the only reason I'm considering giving it a try is that it's all that is available right now and on top of the pure recreational interest I've got some massive back pain going on.

Not only is it less effective but redosing is a BAD idea with Methadone. Don't do it. You don't feel the peak until 3-4 hours after you take it. You only start feeling until 2 or 3 hours. If you take 40-50mg of oxycodone to get high I would recommend you start at 15mg. DON'T REDOSE. If it doesn't work then wait for tomorrow.

Yeah, well now knowing your actual tolerance I would say K'd out's suggestion would be fine for you. 15mg would be a good starting dose I suppose. I mean for example, I was shooting around 10 bags of NJ dope a day, or doing 300 or 400mg of oxy to not be sick all day, and when i got on methadone the clinic started me at 30mg and that provided ample relief for most of that day. Now I am up to 75mg and more or less stable, other than chronic insomnia, but I just wanted to show you that methadone is stronger than many think. And like I said be careful if you do re-dose. I know it isn't as effective but in my experience re-dosing, if done soon enough, does in fact add to the high.

Regardless, my warning still hold true though. Methadone can sneak up on you, and if you get to that point there is no turning back. You'll be fucked if you take too much, you won't actually know until a couple hours later and by then it'll be too late.

Yeah if you have something else you can take, I'd take something else over methadone. Taking it often can rally raise your tolerance, so keep it to a minimum like once every month at most. Plus its extremely addictive. If it keeps being the only thing available for a few days in a row I'd consider stopping all together because if you ever want to go back to using oxy after using meth for a few days you might be surprised that no amount of oxy does shit anymore. It can skyrocket your tolerance. That's how it causes all opioids to be unabusable so that people don't abuse other opioids on methadone. There just isn't a point because no matter how much you take, you won't feel a thing. I really would pass on the methadone in your case and wait for oxy to be available. IF you don't have to take it then I wouldn't. It's too easy to fall into the patern of taking it too often.

Plus its cheaper than oxy and if dealers see that you are willing to take methadone, then they will probably try to push it onto you first, before oxy. Because they make a bigger profit from it because its so much cheaper than oxy and they still sell it for a good price.

^I have found that the blocking effect really only comes into play once you reach daily dosages of 60-80mg.. When I was on less than that, I could still feel a shot of heroin. I think it may diminish the effects of OC for a few days, simply because of the half-life of methadone and it is still occupy your receptors partially for a few days after it wears off, thus diminishing the effects a bit. You may just have to do a little more, but taking methadone at that low a dose for just a day or two shouldn't effect your tolerance for more than a day or two, in my experience.

if you do 20mg percocet... start with no more than 10mg methadone, and take into account that it takes 2-3 hours to properly peak, then lasts about 24 hours

10-15mg

Methadone is a fucking great high first time going into it when i had only a slight opiate tolerance i only took half a 10mg pill

Its so great cuz like it gave me a good energy happy buzz but when i just sat down for a few minutes i would start to nod!

It was so cool haha cuz like u dont even really feel that high but then all of a sudden your noddin out

Just make sure you wait at least two hours before redosing, methadone takes a very long time to completely kick in...

Just make sure you wait at least two hours before redosing, methadone takes a very long time to completely kick in...

You shouldn't redose at all with Methadone. Not only is it ineffective (to an extent) but its simply a bad idea. The peak doesn't kick in until about 3-4 hours. The noticeable effects kick in after a couple hours. In my opinion you shouldn't take anything more until you've reached the peak and by that time taking more is going to do very little.

Ok. Thanks a ton for all of this information. I've got them in hand. 20 10mg's. Also getting 30 10/325 percs Friday.

Have a few more questions after reading all of the above info you guys have given me.

1. I don't want to be just completely blitzed. I need to be able to function and pull this off without those around me saying "jesus, he's fucked up." So I'm thinking after taking in all of this info that I'll start with half a 10mg, wait 3 hours, and if I'm not in rough shape take the other half. Then not dose again for 24 hours. Does everyone approve of that idea?

2. What's the pupil constriction factor on methadone? It's a dead giveaway to those I'll be around so I wanted to check beforehand and see what to expect.

3. I usually take Ambien CR at night. Should I stay away from that with the methadone? I'm already planning on taking a decongestant to combat respiratory depression. I always do that with opiates at night.

4. Lastly, I have been taking some ultram the past few days. Is that something I should factor in if I start dosing tonight or is it irrelevant?

Thanks again to everyone for the great info. If I can get responses to these questions I think I'll feel pretty confident.

Also, I have taken Suboxone 8mg before if that has any comparison here. I noticed that it had similar traits to what you guys have described with methadone. Lasted a long time. Energy when up, quick nod when down. Of course I'm assuming the "lower dose has more pain killing ability" trait that applies to buprenorphine does not apply to methadone.

Your plan sounds fine, but i have a suggestion. 5mg may not be enough, but there is also a chance it could be enough, so it's better to start as low as possible just to make sure you don't have a bad reaction or something. You have a good amount, so honestly the first day you should just take 5mg and if it isn't enough, wait 24 hours and try 10mg. This way you can titrate your dose up to find that sweet spot. Methadone isn't quite as euphoric as say heroin or oxy, but it is a very sedating, long lasting high.

Just to be safe I would avoid your ambien while experimenting with the methadone. The risk of serious respiratory depression is very possible. Benzos and z-drugs combined with methadone often times lead to overdose in non tolerant individuals. If you're high on methadone through the day, sleeping that night should be quite easy even without ambien.

As for the pupil dilation, it is prevalent, but in me personally it doesn't get bad to the point of raising suspicion. Unless you take a big dose and are nodding and drooling for 10 hours, then the pupils will be the least of your worries lol. People shouldn't notice if you keep the dose low.

Your plan sounds fine, but i have a suggestion. 5mg may not be enough, but there is also a chance it could be enough, so it's better to start as low as possible just to make sure you don't have a bad reaction or something. You have a good amount, so honestly the first day you should just take 5mg and if it isn't enough, wait 24 hours and try 10mg. This way you can titrate your dose up to find that sweet spot. Methadone isn't quite as euphoric as say heroin or oxy, but it is a very sedating, long lasting high.

Just to be safe I would avoid your ambien while experimenting with the methadone. The risk of serious respiratory depression is very possible. Benzos and z-drugs combined with methadone often times lead to overdose in non tolerant individuals. If you're high on methadone through the day, sleeping that night should be quite easy even without ambien.

As for the pupil dilation, it is prevalent, but in me personally it doesn't get bad to the point of raising suspicion. Unless you take a big dose and are nodding and drooling for 10 hours, then the pupils will be the least of your worries lol. People shouldn't notice if you keep the dose low.

Thanks a lot. Good info. So if the 5mg doesn't do the trick after 3-4 hours I should still wait the full 24 hours to redose and not try another 5mg?

Thanks a lot. Good info. So if the 5mg doesn't do the trick after 3-4 hours I should still wait the full 24 hours to redose and not try another 5mg?

In order to get the best effects and not waste pills, I would say yes. Re-dosing another 5mg a few hours later probably wouldn't kill you, but in regards to the high, it will just prolong the high you initial had, but not make it more intense necessarily.

Who says methadone is "less effective"? Less effective in what and compared to what drugs?

Studies have shown methadone to be just as effective, if not more, then some other strong opioids including oxycodone, fentanyl, and even morphine for chronic pain or cancer-related pain.

Yeah, recreationally it may be a little lacking compared to the quicker acting opioids, but it's greatly underestimated in that department and studies have again shown that methadone is highly recreational drug with an abuse potential similar to other strong opioids.

Who said it is less effective? We were saying how it is ineffective to re-dose a couple hours later. Not that methadone was overall not as effective as other opiates. I personally think methadone is a fantastic medicine. Both for maintenance purposes, and for pain as well. The long half life, along with the fact that it is an effective drug, just prove how good methadone is. Obviously there is no rush from it, and it isn't quite like doing dope or oxy, the high is still great in its own right. I love it.

Ok guys. I went ahead and started with 10mg about 50 minutes ago. I actually took 5mg about 50 minutes ago and another 5mg about 20 minutes later. My concern at this point is less about have overdone it than not having done enough because from what everyone has said if the 10mg kicks in after 3-4 hours and it's not enough I'm pretty much SOL for the next 24 hours, correct?

Is there some point before the 3-4 hour peak that I will feel a portion of the effects and can up the dose without it being a waste?

Sorry for all the questions. This is just a new frontier for me.

FYI, added to the earlier notes about my tolerance, even though I am typical a PO recreational user, I can IV 4-8mg's of hydromorphone without any problems. Thought that might help better rate my tolerance.

If anyone can respond quickly about the window to up the dose I would greatly appreciate it. I realize it peaks at 3-4, but I'm at least an hour in on the 5mg and feel absolutely nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.