• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Barbiturate substitutions

Synaps3

Bluelighter
I am interested in the pharmacology of barbiturates just because they are so old and esoteric.
I am mostly wondering what the N substitution does. Sometimes you'll see a barb with an N methyl. What is the purpose of that? Does it change the duration of action or the effects?
What I know so far is that the longer the upper chains, the more potent, but the shorter the duration. A thiourea makes the duration extremely short.
What I find confusing though is the structure of the carbon chains. Couldn't they just use propyl, butyl, etc? Why do they use weird things such as sec-butyl? Does that change the effects or only the duration?

I am also interested to hear experiences if anyone has tried more than one barb. Are there any barbs that completely lack hypnotic action and are pretty clear headed like 2m2b?

Does anyone have JPET?
Sci-hub doesn't work for it.

I checked directly on the JPET website and the articles don't appear to be paywalled.

I know, that's what it seems like, but all the old publications are $35 a piece. Its crazy they want to charge that for stuff written in the 1930s, but not the new stuff.
If you search "barbiturate", you'll see that they are all paid for and DON'T have DOI so I can't use sci-hub.

Did u try the ncbi website?? Or scholar.google.com?
I didnt attempt a search but i typically find what im lookin for through one or the other......

What papers in specific? I can probably get them