• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Bad Tramadol Reaction?

michael238

Greenlighter
For quite some time, I've been a part time user of hydrocodone for both mild pain and recreation. I have access to 60 10/325 pills each month, and they typically last me 7-10 days. Dosage will start with15-20mg per dose 2-3 times per day, and as the days progress, dosage increases to 30-35mg 2-3 times per day. Needless to say, I go through mild withdrawal when the pills run out, which usually lasts 2-3 days. A few months ago, I got access to some tramadol and tried them out. I liked that they blocked pain while making me more focused and relaxed. I found I could order them online from India, and did that. For the past 4 months, I've been using those, and they've seemed to work find, except the time I ran out for a couple days. The withdrawal wasn't fun, but I got my hands on some pretty quick. I never had any bad reaction to them, despite pretty high doses due to my ignorance of safe dosages. I was taking 4-600 mg at a time, twice a day, spaced about 10 hours. The only time I had any kind of adverse reaction was when I was taking both the Tramadol and the hydrocodone because, again, I was ignorant of how dangerous that could be. I took too many tramadol after taking too many hydros, and I got very light headed, got a ringing in my ears for a few minutes coupled with cold flashes, and had somewhat labored breathing. This lasted a couple hours and abated. Scared the crap out of me after doing some reading about how both depress the central nervous system.

Recently, I placed another order, and the sales guy offered to send me the most popular tramadol, the white tablets. Previously I had gotten green capsules, and then an orange tablet. The pills came in and I took only two 100mg tablet, breaking three in half (they were Ol-Tram ER). About two hours later, I had the same reaction as I did before, light headed, ringing in my ears coupled with cold flashes, and slight breathing difficulty...It felt like I needed to take deep breaths constantly or I felt like I wasn't getting enough air. Again, this lasted a couple hours off and on. I chalked it up to breaking the tablets in half. The next day I took three of them in the morning, with no reaction. The next day I took two in the morning, breaking one in half. After a bit I may have had a very very slight reaction similar to those before, but not enough to be sure. Later that day, maybe 10 hours, I took one tablet. Again, a couple hours later I had another fairly bad reaction with the same symptoms. That was it, I was done with Tramadol. That last 100mg tablet was taken 44 hours ago.

I knew the withdrawal wasn't going to be fun, and I was able to get my hands on a few hydrocodone that same evening. My plan was to take light doses for a few days to hold off the worse of the withdrawal symptoms, or mask them.. I waiting until the next morning, 13 hours after the tramadol, to take 15mg. Within an hour, I thought I may have been having slight labored breathing and light headedness. Chalked it up to not enough time to flush most of the tramadol. I waited another 8 hours, which normally for me is plenty of time for the hydrocodone's effect to abate, and took another 20mg. OMG. After two hours of the typical slight euphoric feeling from the hydrocodone, the same tramadol reaction symptoms came on, worse than I've ever felt them. Not as light headed, but the labored breathing was worse. I walked around my house for 3 hours scared to sit down, taking deep breaths almost constantly, feeling light headed and light I may pass out. Eventually the symptoms faded and were gone after 4 hours or so. That's the worst and the longest the symptoms have lasted. I checked my BP, and it was pretty high, but quickly lowered to my normal slightly high BP. Maybe stress, maybe the reaction. I was very close to having my wife drive me to the ER, but I knew I'd wind up in there for a few days doing all kinds of tests and, with no insurance, that wasn't an option I wanted if I didn't need to.

This morning I took another 15mg of hydro 5 hours ago, and have had a bit of lightheadedness and feeling like my breathing is a bit shallow. Nothing like last night, but this isn't making sense to me. I took the 20mg of hydrocodone yesterday after 21 hours of no tramadol, and the 15mg today after 38 hours of no tramadol. With a half life of 6 hours, most of the 100mg of tramadol I took 44 hours ago should be pretty much gone. Why am I still getting such a severe reaction to the hydros? I can usually take 30-50mg without any bad reaction. Now, 15 mg is causing a slight scary reaction. Can the tramadol have made my hypersensitive to the hyrdos, or could it just be the effects of the tramadol on my brain still being affected by the hydros even though almost all of the tramadol should be flushed?

The other thing not making sense is why I was able to take 4-6 100mg tablets twice a day and be fine, but suddenly 2-300mg of the new stuff is causing these reactions.

I'm going to take a much smaller dose of hydro in a few hours and see what kind of reaction I get, maybe 5-10mg. My goal is to avoid the worst of the withdrawal...the whooshing in my head, the RLS at night, and the inability to focus on anything for more than a few minutes.

Any help or advice or guidance on WHY I'm suddenly having these reactions to the tramadol, and also the hydros, is appreciated.

I'm done with Tramadol, which is sad in a way, because I liked the effect, but I also knew the longer I was on them, the worse it was going to be to get off.

My biggest concern with these reactions is because of the labored breathing, if I pass out I may stop breathing.

Wow. Maybe this was too long, and I included too much detail...but I sure expected at least a reply or two. I've ready countless posts of people scared shitless of something reaching out for advice or help, and they always get plenty of replies, advice, and support.

I staggered two 5mg doses of hydro last night and no noticeable adverse reaction. Took 15mg this morning, with only a very slight lightheadedness for a short time.

Am I fooling myself thinking I can low-dose myself through the tramadol withdrawals with hydros, or am I just postposing things? CAN you offset the withdrawal symptoms of one opioid with the use of another?

What you report is not respiratory depression from opiates.
It is consistent with a light panic attac ( that is made worst by breathing fast), but I do not know what is it.

>CAN you offset the withdrawal symptoms of one opioid with the use of another?

Totally

It could have been withdrawal for the tramadol, as it's not only a opioid, but it too acts on Serotonin and norepinephrine iirc, or plain anxiety caused by the withdrawal.
With taking hydrocodone you are just prolonging your withdrawals, as it's just another opioid you are taking. But you could taper down with the hydros to minimize withdrawal.

And just for harm reduction, taking more than 300mg of tramadol can lead to a seizure, because it lowers your seizure threshold.

Thanks. I thought about the anxiety/panic attack thing, having read that from others' experiences. Even thinking about the episodes brings a bit of anxiety and the feeling I can't catch my breath for a moment or two, and I'm not typically an anxious or nervous person. I'm using the hydros to taper down. We'll see how it goes after this weekend, when I'll have run out of hydros. The whooshing in my head is much less pronounced when the hydros wear off after 12 hours or so.

I now know better as far as the tramadol dosage, but I'm done with them. I tossed the 400 or so tabs I had left of the most recent order. Either they aren't tramadol, or the ones I had before weren't very effective. Like I said I was taking 5-600mg twice a day, with no reaction like I had with the new stuff after 200mg. I'll deal with the hydro withdrawals for a few days rather than the concern of having another bad experience with the tramadol.

What you report is not respiratory depression from opiates.
It is consistent with a light panic attac ( that is made worst by breathing fast), but I do not know what is it.

>CAN you offset the withdrawal symptoms of one opioid with the use of another?

Totally

So basically the concern I had about passing out and stopping breathing brought on a panic attack that caused shortness of breath? That makes sense, and makes me feel better that I wasn't on the verge of passing out and dying. Thanks!

Also, strange things can happen when you use such high levels of tramadol for that long.

Also, strange things can happen when you use such high levels of tramadol for that long.

Well, nothing strange happened, with the exception of the one time I mixed too much tramadol with too much hydro, until I got the new batch of tramadol. It's like I went from pretty tolerant to high doses to hypersensitive to lower dosages. There WAS a day and a half gap from running out of the old pills and getting the new pills.