• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bad reaction to IV cocaine (non-emergency)

L

LJ2016

I had a strange, scary and extremely uncomfortable reaction to a shot of coke tonight. I'm OK now, but I'd like to understand what happened, so I can try to avoid repeating the experience. I'm not sure if what happened was an allergic reaction, cotton fever, overdose or something else entirely. The reaction started within a minute of injecting and lasted about three hours and was worst between 30 and 120 minutes after injecting. I had been slamming the same coke all evening with no issues, but I switched to a different bag for my last shot.

The symptoms, in the order that they appeared:
  • A painless feeling of high pressure in my head, which began within minutes of injecting and continued, without pain, throughout the attack.
  • Slight nausea within minutes of injecting, but it went away once I had a glass of water.
  • Wheezing, difficulty swallowing and swelling in my throat, which began about 15 minutes after injecting, and got steadily worse. The wheezing sounded like an asthma attack, so I tried taking my rescue inhaler, but it didn't help. Unlike an asthma attack, only my throat felt constricted; I could fill and empty my lungs all the way, and there wasn't any pain in my chest or throat.
  • Within half an hour, I felt very hot and my face was flushed and sweating.
  • Within half an hour, I began having abdominal cramps and diarrhea.
  • Within an hour, I felt somewhat dizzy, but not so much so that I couldn't walk around and talk.
  • Within an hour, I developed a rash that looked like tiny hives or a heat rash (spots of about 5mm in diameter) on my forearms: sort of everywhere on them, but none noticable on the back of my hand, where I injected. There was no itching or swelling around the rash. When I've had hives before, they've been much larger (1-3 centimetres in diameter), swollen and very itchy.
  • At this point, I called a taxi to take me to the hospital, but by the time it arrived, most of these symptoms had markedly improved. First the cramps went away, then the feeling of being hot and flushed. I asked the driver to take me home instead and took some Benadryl and ibuprofen upon arriving.
  • Within three hours, I felt 100% better. Aside from the abdominal cramps, none of these symptoms were painful.

What has me confused is that these symptoms seem to be a mixed bag. If I had just had diarrhea, high blood pressure and fever, I would think it was an infection. If I just had the rash and swelling in my throat, I would assume it was an allergic reaction. Flushed face, dizziness and nausea, I'd wonder if I had taken too much. But what would cause all of these things at once?

If someone with more knowledge or experience than I knows what was going on, I would very much appreciate your input. Thanks for reading and thinking it over.

-LJ