Which was the Best 'Bad Lieutenant'?

• Abel Ferrara, Harvey Keitel, 1992

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Werner Herzog, Nicholas Cage, 2009

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

PurpleKush1

Bluelighter
This is a great flick, i you havent seen it i higly reccomend it. FOr those who have, do you prefer the new one or the one that was made in the 90 s ?

link for what for the trailer , for the old one, for the new one ? tell me what and imma post it

Abel Ferrara's '92 film is far superior. More than anything, it comes down to the casting of leads - Harvey Keitel vs. Nicholas Cage? Pfft, not even close.

link for what for the trailer , for the old one, for the new one ? tell me what and imma post it

A trailer works, or perhaps links to the IMDB pages. Some extra information besides a title helps add substance to these kinds of threads. You could also mention some things about the films you liked, didn't like, or were confused about in order to get some good discussion going.

Also, I added a poll.

Last edited:
Abel Ferrara's '92 film is far superior. More than anything, it comes down to the casting of leads - Harvey Keitel vs. Nicholas Cage? Pfft, not even close.

A trailer works, or perhaps links to the IMDB pages. Some extra information besides a title helps add substance to these kinds of threads. You could also mention some things about the films you liked, didn't like, or were confused about in order to get some good discussion going.

Also, I added a poll.
Thanks for the poll. here is the trailer for the old one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFvGeMDW7bw .

I liked the newer Bad Lieutenant slightly more than I liked the 90's version. But then again, I didn't really care for either one of them too much.

i really do love abel fererra, just rewatched the funeral a few days ago incidentally, and yeah i concur that it's vastly superior. it's not exactly what i'd call an entertaining movie but i remember seeing it for the first time when i was a kid and it really left a lasting impression.
the werner herzog version is interesting in it's batfuck lunacy, and cage is entertaining to watch but it doesn't even come close to the emotional impact the original had.

i really do love abel fererra, just rewatched the funeral a few days ago incidentally, and yeah i concur that it's vastly superior. it's not exactly what i'd call an entertaining movie but i remember seeing it for the first time when i was a kid and it really left a lasting impression.
the werner herzog version is interesting in it's batfuck lunacy, and cage is entertaining to watch but it doesn't even come close to the emotional impact the original had.

i have to agree on the emotional aspect the first one is better. But i like the batfuck lunacy :p

^ well so do i. don't get me wrong, i enjoyed the nic cage version a great deal, i just don't get the naming, because aside from the whole corrupt cop addicted to drugs thing they have absolutely nothing in common.

Great thread IMO. I saw the nic cage version way before I saw the original. Overall, I like the original better, but they were both great. I was surprised the original was EVEN DARKER than the new one, shit was disturbing as fuck! Lol

Great thread IMO. I saw the nic cage version way before I saw the original. Overall, I like the original better, but they were both great. I was surprised the original was EVEN DARKER than the new one, shit was disturbing as fuck! Lol

Yes disturbing is the word, i rofled when he was seeing dem lizards and shit WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE IGUNASA DOING ON THE TABLW hahahaha

The original was way better. I couldnt even sit through Nick Cages overacted performance. Harvey Keitel nailed it. I first saw it when it first came out in Berkley Ca. in 92 as a double feature with Reservoir Dogs. That was my first introduction to Keitel and Quentin Tarrentino(sp) At the time I didnt realize Keitel had played the roll of Matthew the pimp in Taxi Driver. Best double Feature Id ever been to. The remake blew like an old crack whore who already has your money in her pocket. Thats not the kind of movie that should be remade as its already a classic. Id be sick if someone tried to remake Repo Man, The Godfather, or like Apocalypse Now. On the other hand Im totally excited by the coming remake of Stephen Kings The Stand. The mini series tried hard and Gary Sinese was great but the book was sooo fucking amazing (and Im not a huge King fan) it really deserved a big budget. The move should be made a trilogy though.I dont know how the hell they can fit all that book into a 2 hour movie but Ive heard nothing of it being made a trilogy. Sorry to threadjack.

I think it's the Nicholas cage effect, he overacts in everything in a tacky romantic comady way. ( I have to admit I used to fantsize about being a dirty cop and just looting that shoot from evidence tho). Are they really remaking the stand? It's my favourite book and deserved better treatment than the miniseries; I found it tacky and overblown, but that's early nineties made for TV films for you.

Any man who has praise for Stephen King's The Stand can threadjack all he wants. Have you ever read this book?

tumblr_mr45ziyB2Q1rcx4u4o1_500.jpg

If not, I HIGHLY recommend it. It's in the same vein as The Stand, (end of the world, good vs evil) but in some ways it even surpasses The Stand. The Stand will always be my favorite novel, but Swan Song is easily a close second. Plus, it got me into reading more by Robert R. McCammon. His books are so good and he's so damn underrated, it's pathetic.

Also, I agree with your points on the mini-series. It would be awesome if they would make it for HBO. Hell, they could make The Stand last for three seasons or longer. My ideal HBO scenario: They make a different series adapted from a select Stephen King book every year. Books like It and The Stand could run for several years. The Gunslinger series could be made for AMC and go on for years. They're about to lose Breaking Bad. It would be the smartest move they could make at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm gonna check out Swan Song. I love post apocalyptic fiction.
Btw I read the stand at 13 and have read almost every year since; a breath of fresh air would be good

I know this is off topic from bad lieutenant, the original Harvey Keitel work is one of my favourite drug movies. He's a great actor.

Last edited:
Yes The Stand is probably my favorite as well. My mom turned me on to it in 1981 when I was about 13 as well but didnt read the entire book till I was probably 16 then I went and found the unabridged in hardback.
Great idea making it an HBO series, crap Im gonna miss Breaking Bad and cant wait till tonight. That blood on the napkin may have not made it down the toilet drain and the waitress was pretty damn close to them when they were talking about the train heist, looked like she was in earshot.
Im going down to the used bookstore to see if I can find Swan Song, thanks. If you like that kind of genre have you seen The Road? Its on Netflix. Nuclear winter, no food left, everyone for themselves, cannibalism ensues. Check it let me know what you think.

Im checking out breaking bad tonight (heard good things about it) Nuclear apocalypse films are in short supply, probably due to the bleakness of the subject matter. The Day After is worth a look though, its set in a nuclear attack and the immediate aftereffects. Must have been scary as hell to be in the cold war...

Hrvey Keitel fuuucks the shit out of nick cage no comparison. nick cage is no harvey kietel.

Holy shit! I can`t believe somebody name dropped Swan Song! I didn`t think too many people read that book compared to The Stand.

I think the original Bad Lieutenant is a cult classic. The newer one with Cage is really just capitalizing on the name. Meh.