• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

bad family history .. still smoke?

Germinator

Greenlighter
Hey people,
just have a question about psychosis and weed. Both my mom and my brother had a psychosis because they smokes weed (my brother hashish). It seems like our family isn't meant to be smokin out. However I have smoked myself 3 times and only once i had very sad feelings but the other two were just fine, relaxes me, but I get less social and don't talk a lot on it, just thinkin about random stuff which is pretty sweet too. So, would you suggest to not smoke at all due to my family history or just keep smoking?

thx

The real issue is that no one is going to be able to answer a question like that one way or the other. Basically the only way to know is to do it till you experience a psychotic break, obviously this is terrible advise but you will never know if it will happen until it does. I would recommend limiting your usage as it is possible you will eventually experience one and when you do odds are you will opt never to smoke again just from how extreme of an experience it must be (never had one)

However, the advise to "just do it until you experience one" is terrible so here is another way to look at it if you choose to keep smoking. A lot of what we experience is perceived events due to the information we receive from simply existing. So if you can limit the stimuli to things you are comfortable with you are less likely to create the type of situation where a break will occur. Sure they are something that can not be prevented per say so if you take (amount A) and that was the amount to make it so you cant function normally you would have a break out in a club as you would at home in bed as it was due to the amount

But if (amount B) was a safe amount for you and you had it at home plenty of times with friends but next time you choose to go out because you got comfortable to huge amount of stimuli could cause you to experience a break. If you are in a susceptible state and then stimuli enters that causes you to experience say a small amount of fear that could trigger it.

My point is you need to take it slow if you do not want to heed the warnings of the past and not do it. Everyone is different so no one else's experiences will give you a definite answer. If you must par take please be safe and do so in places where the worst possible outcome is not you running at an officer who is telling you to stop with a gun pointed at you, it can and does happen.

Be safe.

What is your age and medical history? have you ever had delusions/hallucinations?
family history is a risk factor, not a determined prognosis. I feel like it should be possible to judge a persons likelihood of going psychotic just by looking at their adolescent behavior. Please provide more information on that.
ultimately, smoking cannabis is a personal decision you make in life. It shouldn't even be that a big part of your day anyways. Once in awhile, it's fun a relaxing.

genetics is a tricky thing. you could have inherited a trait from your dad that doesn't predispose you to what your mom and brother are going through. AFAIK weed-related psychosis is often foreshadowed by intense feelings of disassociation, if you stay vigilant and avoid abusing herb things may be fine.

What is your age and medical history? have you ever had delusions/hallucinations?
family history is a risk factor, not a determined prognosis. I feel like it should be possible to judge a persons likelihood of going psychotic just by looking at their adolescent behavior. Please provide more information on that.
ultimately, smoking cannabis is a personal decision you make in life. It shouldn't even be that a big part of your day anyways. Once in awhile, it's fun a relaxing.
I just turned 18 and never had a psychosis or any sort of mental illness. I tried MDMA and on the comedown I saw hallucinations like people who weren't there but only on that one night. Personally I would consider myself a mentaly healthy person and this does not happen being sober. The dose was propably a bit too large for my first time. Thanks for your replies :)