View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Bad acid, hurt like hell

Wile.E.Peyote

Greenlighter
This happened to me VERY recently, during my first acid trip of 130μg I hit a bong with my friends (I'm also very new to weed so 1/4 of a joint is still an intense high), I stupidly did this before the peak of my trip, as I sat there looking down on myself with 360 vision I thought something was a bit off,

'Have I always been able to do this'

After this I experienced what is the worst pain in my (fairly sheltered) life

I can only describe this pain as if two wheels were turning within my body, one in my chest and one in my stomach

Constantly the two wheels felt as if they had "snagged", a constant shooting pain right through my core

It took me a while to get used to this sensation and after a while it became normal

Then I started to notice my heartbeat

I could clearly feel it, as if I had ran up a flight of stairs

However it was the fastest I had ever felt it, the pace seemed inconsistent and random, I became paranoid that this much strain would definitely lead to a skipped beat

As I noticed this I was overcome with a harrowing guttural fear,

"all my time on the earth, everyone I've ever met, all leads up to the point where Im nothing anymore because I took some dodgy research chemical"

I stopped what I was doing and went to lie down determined to ride it out and let it do its worst,

in the fetal position, struggling for breath with my whole body having pins and needles and my left arm numb with shooting pains, I closed my eyes as the beautiful patterns and distortions were taunting me as if they were saying "was it worth it"

With my eyes closed I involuntarily pictured my mum and stepdad, my grandad, my friends, my crush at school, all reacting to the news of my death

Eventually time passed

I realised I was getting nowhere and a strange feeling was brewing where my heart, I went down stairs and asked one of my closest friends to check my heartbeat, he did and said it was a little fast (he was very high at the time, and even normally I wouldn't trust him to do well in a situation like that), then pressure built up in my chest and I held his hand there asking him if anything was wrong.

Then after the pressure relieved I was greeted with a small gap in the hell I was having, he asked what was going on

"Either my heart just exploded or I'm gonna be fine"

/////////////

The next day, my chest felt incredibly tight, I smoked a tiny bit of weed and instantly the shooting pain came back in my left arm and pins and needles in my heart. I regretted it.

The weed barely had any effect on me, which is very strange (I smoke weed very infrequently less than once every two months)

For the next few days my chest feels very tight, its noticeably wearing off and I haven't used any substances since

/////////

I have a few theories on what happened, could've been a research chemical I was sold. Possible impure LSD, I know LSA causes very pronounced vasoconstriction so maybe some unreacted contaminants (I don't know much about the process)

Another possible cause is just a panic attack, brought on by messed up biofeedback and resulting in more messed up biofeedback, this seems more probable as it explains about everything I experienced.

Has anyone experienced similar effects or has any idea what went on

All input is greatly appreciated

Hi there! Acid has nothing to do with that IMO.:p

I saw your response in Sceletium thread too. And weirdly at the pretty much the same time as you, I had a nice trip on 200mcg of AL-LAD and everything was super fine and mellow... Until I have decided to load a huge bowl into the vaporizer and ripped it all at once. Then, in a few minutes I started feeling something was off, I started feeling agitated and scared, something that doesnt happen to me on lysergamides normally, I completely lost interest in my surroundings and the trip in general and started sweating profusely with cold sweats. And then the pain came in, undulating dull/sharp pain in the chest area. I mostly experienced it in the middle part, at the sternum. And of course, being high just made it worse by adding paranoid thoughts of me having a heart attack.

After 2grams of sublingval Validol, I started realize it's not my heart. Then I started reading about that condition. Then I took an extra strenght antacids. Mind that I'm a daily cannabis smoker for the past 17 years. Validol and antacids helped me to ease down to a manageable condition so I went to sleep. I was also monitoring my pulse and heart beat and didnt observe anything abnormal. On breathing out there was a barely noticeable whizzing, probably caused by daily cannabis intake.

I made a research, there are five major diagnoses with this condition:

1) Panic attacks are sudden periods of intense fear that may include palpitations, sweating, shaking, shortness of breath, numbness, or a feeling that something bad is going to happen.[1][2] The maximum degree of symptoms occurs within minutes.[2] Typically they last for about 30 minutes but the duration can vary from seconds to hours.[3] There may be a fear of losing control or chest pain.[2] Panic attacks themselves are not dangerous.[6]

2) Costochondritis,
also known as chest wall pain, costosternal syndrome, or costosternal chondrodynia[1] is an acute[2] and often temporary inflammation of the costal cartilage, the structure that connects each rib to the sternum at the costosternal joint. The condition is a common cause of chest pain.[1][3][4] Though costochondritis often resolves on its own, it can be a recurring condition that has little or no signs of onset.[5]

Costochondritis symptoms can be similar to the chest pain associated with a heart attack.[6][7] Chest pain is considered a medical emergency until life-threatening cardiac issues can be ruled out.[4][7] Severe cases of costal cartilage inflammation that also involve painful swelling are sometimes referred to as Tietze's syndrome, a term sometimes used interchangeably with costochondritis.

3) Tietze syndrome (also called chondropathia tuberosa or costochondral junction syndrome) is a benign inflammation of one or more of the costal cartilages.[1]
The main presentation of the syndrome is significant, acute pain in the chest, along with tenderness and some swelling of the cartilages affected, which is commonly palpable on examination. Perceived pain is often exacerbated with respiration.[5] Although many times it can be extremely painful, to the point of being debilitating, Tietze's Syndrome is considered to be a benign condition that generally resolves in 12 weeks. However, it can often be a chronic condition. The associated chest pain may present similarly to angina pectoris, normally associated with heart disease, and can cause hyperventilation, anxiety or panic attacks, syncope (passing out), and temporary hypoesthesia (numbness) or paralysis.

Many cases of myocardial infarction (heart attack) patients have been re-considered and improperly diagnosed, due to the identical nature of the symptoms. In females, it is often misdiagnosed as mastalgia. Costochondritis symptoms are similar to Tietze's, the prime difference being that the pain radiates to the arms and shoulders in the latter.

4) Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), also known as acid reflux, (yes, apparantly it can present itself as a mere chest pain without tasting acidic in the mouth, it had happened to me before) is a long-term condition where stomach contents come back up into the esophagus resulting in either symptoms or complications.[4][5] Symptoms include the taste of acid in the back of the mouth, heartburn, bad breath, chest pain, vomiting, breathing problems, and wearing away of the teeth. Complications include esophagitis, esophageal strictures, and Barrett's esophagus.[4]

5) Angina pectoris, commonly known as angina, is the sensation of chest pain, pressure, or squeezing, often due to not enough blood flow to the heart muscle as a result of obstruction or spasm of the coronary arteries.[1]

Angina pectoris can be quite painful, but many patients with angina complain of chest discomfort rather than actual pain: the discomfort is usually described as a pressure, heaviness, tightness, squeezing, burning, or choking sensation. Apart from chest discomfort, anginal pains may also be experienced in the epigastrium (upper central abdomen), back, neck area, jaw, or shoulders. This is explained by the concept of referred pain, and is due to the fact that the spinal level that receives visceral sensation from the heart simultaneously receives cutaneous sensation from parts of the skin specified by that spinal nerve's dermatome, without an ability to discriminate the two. Typical locations for referred pain are arms (often inner left arm), shoulders, and neck into the jaw. Angina is typically precipitated by exertion or emotional stress. It is exacerbated by having a full stomach and by cold temperatures. Pain may be accompanied by breathlessness, sweating, and nausea in some cases. In this case, the pulse rate and the blood pressure increases. Chest pain lasting only a few seconds is normally not angina (such as precordial catch syndrome).

Check these out too:

http://www.marijuana.com/community/threads/scary-chest-pain-after-smoking.236894/

http://www.marijuana.com/community/threads/chest-pain-driving-me-nuts.147923/

http://www.healthhype.com/causes-of-breast-bone-pain-sternum.html

I came to realize that something had caused an acute inflammation of tissues around the chest, that in turn caused a panic attack, triggering the same nerves as the heart attack would do. After that incident, every time I smoke or even vaporize cannabis, I get this kind of pain again. It sucks major balls.:X
Yeah, I have been smoking on a daily basis for 17 years and only had a problem with chest pains once, where I could not smoke anymore, about 5 years ago, and it was caused by GERD (symptoms included shortness of breath after smoking and especially if smoking on empty stomach) and cured by taking proton pump inhibitors (omeprazoline - OTC) for two weeks.

So far, antidepressant meds help, as well as anti-inflammatory drugs. Of course I had to limit cannabis intake and I also am thinking to start a course of PPI's - it could all be connected - stomach contents coming out because of smoke/vapor inflames esophagus thus causing rib inflammation and direct pains, thus causing anxiety and panic, thus causing more chest pain.

Once again, LSD is not the main cause of these pains (I'm not sure if it is at all)! I took a little amount (50mics of 1-P) a few days later just to see if it causes any discomfort but it didn't, IT IS cannabis smoke/vapor that causes these pains for me, even a little amount smoked now immediately brings the same pain that is slightly burning in sensation too. Exercising does not cause pains or weakness, as it would with Angina Pectoris so I ruled it out for me too. I also read somewhere that extremely potent cannabis might cause an acute inflammation of chest but can't find that link...

I will post more as I will find out, going to see a doctor if PPI's and antidepressants won't help. I hope it helps to anyone experiencing similar symptoms! ;)

Last edited:
Nice Volsam, thanks. That's a treasure chest of information that I already found useful.

I got nothing else. I and the OP are lucky to have that.

I'm happy to contribute guys! ;)

And I'll update on my condition as it goes!

Thanks so much for this volsam, even knowing I'm not the only person to experience this is comfort enough, but all the information I would've never found on my own is incredibly helpful in understanding this.

Ive honestly never had anything like this happen before and any feelings I had have worn down to nothing now even after exercise. So im inclined to believe it was a panic attack, can't be sure though

I can concur that smoking cannabis on the second day very much brought back the chest pain and overall discomfort.

Its been a week since the trip. Once I've gotten over how euphorically normal I feel now I will try smoking a small amount of cannabis to see if the same goes for me. I'll report back.

Again thanks for the input, please let us in the thread know how you get on.

Nice man, that was really supportive volsam.. I agree: good or bad acid is all the same and can if you're unlucky produce a terrible or dirty-feeling trip, or can really warp certain self-conscious body experiences. Cannabis can potentiate a trip into such a state and give you panic... anxiety reactions can then produce the weirdest and shittiest body sensations which then make the trip worse and scarier.

At the same time, persistent body effects like chest pain could have a different cause.

Then again: it could still very well be the anxiety response and I think just like HPPD-like 'episodes' can occur from smoking cannabis after you have gotten acute HPPD-like issues from a psychedelic, you can become sensitized in other ways to cannabis. Some people seem to get reverse tolerance for similar strange reasons. If you seem to have such a sensitivity, take it really easy, cool off for a while and then if it's important for you start low again with the cannabis.

So, yeah, I started taking Omeprazole (2nd day now) and feeling a lot better now. Also got a bunch of bud that is very aromatic but rather weak on THC (only 10% THC) to smoke for the time of recovery - that also seems to help. I don't know why but high THC strains will cause this issue to flare up a lot stronger. I am the person who likes to get super stoned on a bud with at least 20% THC (ChemDawg is my fav) in it, go through a couple of grams a day and I also enjoy occasional dabbing. But it appears my body is telling me to go easy on weed for now, so I'll listen :)

In a few words: Vaporizing or smoking larger than normal loads of high potency cannabis caused acid reflux to flare up - a long-term condition where stomach contents come back up into the esophagus; from there, these stomach contents started irritating and inflaming tissues that connect my ribs (an acute condition called Costochondritis), which triggered the nerve tissues around the chest to send out false alarming signals about potential heart attack, which in turn caused a panic attack, that made the whole condition much worse.

I think this very same scenario may be applied to you too, Wile.E.Peyote, so be on the look out for acid reflux symptoms (you may have it even if you are not a smoker, but having a sitting work place, eating late, eating spicy foods, smoking and using too much coffee and alcohol will definitely make it worse)!

Conclusion so far: Even if you have been carelessly smoking/vaporizing for years, a condition like that may catch you off guard easily and cause a lot of anxiety and distress, especially if you are in the middle of the trip and very open to any suggestions.

Need to take care of our bodies, our bodies are our temples! :)

Update,

To test if weed would aggravate the condition again I tried smoking again. Very different environment to my trip, as i was sat very chilled with a close mate and talked shit watching cartoons, only managed 2 blunts (1g of alien 28% cut about 60:40 with kanna) in a whole night, I really did feel better for it

At first I felt a quite a strong heartburn sensation building up, similar to the start of it last time. But I popped 4 Rennie's (indigestion tablets/ calcium carbonate) and was instantly relieved. Figured if it was caused by stomach contents in the oesophagus then the best course would be to neutralise the acid buildup that was probably causing the inflammation. It did work but I'm not convinced its a "cure" just a solution. Saved me the heart rate and the "I'm gonna die" stuff.

Not sure if any of this helps, but I did say I'd follow it up.