• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

🌿 Herbs & Supplements 🌿 Bacopa monnieri for GABA upregulation

BadBoy377

Bluelighter
Hi,

I just wondered if anyone has any experience using Bacopa monnieri supplements to aid recovery of their GABA system following stopping drinking alcohol and/or benzos?

If so, could you share what worked/didn't and appropriate dosages or preparations as this is something I'm considering and would appreciate hearing from others who have tried be it beneficial or not.

All input appreciated.

Cheers,

BB

I took capsules followed what da bottle said it is good I would recommend trying at least

I'm afraid I've not heard of Bacopa monnier, and I'm not too sure about GABA upregulation specifically, but some time ago I found a natural recovery guy on youtube who knows a lot about this sort of neurochemistry stuff, link below.

"Benzo withdrawal and full recovery is possible, the brain is remarkably repairable through neuroplasticity, in this video I discuss how to use natural remedies to speed up recovery of the benzo brain.

The benzo brain has too little GABA and too much glutamate activity.GABA puts the brakes on the brain, it inhibits synaptic firing, Glutamate speed the brain up it increases synaptic firing. The result is the brain is speeded up. Stimulating remedies and treatments even simple things like B vitamins may cause increased speed and make things worse unless they are balanced with remedies that help the brain to control its speed. To help overcome this we can combine remedies that support GABA activity and control glutamate. Some people say these remedies can act in the same way as the benzos, that they could cause a similar problem to the benzos, but natural remedies and should be avoided. But the natural remedies do not desensitise the brain to GABA or increase glutamate activity like benzo drugs; the science says they don't attach to the GABA receptors in the same way as benzos or at all. Also in 30 years in practice, I have never seen any evidence of this; no one ever became addicted to the natural remedies. There are a lot of natural remedies that are neuroprotective preventing further brain damage and others that boost neuroplasticity to help stimulate a more speedy recovery. After benzos the brain works to regenerate and recover balance, this is the brains natural neuroplastic capabilities, but for many people, the aftermath of benzos can last for years as the brain struggles to recover; sometimes recovery is It's becoming increasingly understood how to boost neuroplasticity and that the health of the brain is something we can influence and change. Many natural remedies can boost neuroplasticity as can many other things from specific foods and exercises, intermittent fasting and new techniques like HYPER-thermia treatment. When you combine I first developed a combination of natural treatments to work on my own failing brain health in 2012 since then I've been using it in my practice for drug withdrawal recoveryCAUTION: Stopping psychiatric drugs, especially abruptly can be dangerous, withdrawal effects may be severe, disabling or even life-threatening.Further ReadingBenzo Withdrawal How to Speed up RecoveryHow to taper off benzos the right and Wrong Way A New Approach to Benzo RecoveryBenzo Withdrawal Treatment with Natural Remedies Are Natural Remedies Safe Benzodiazepine Withdrawal?"

I have personally tried a number of supplements and medications that were reported by some sources to be good for anxiety and insomnia, so I presume they act along similar lines or mechanisms.

Not sure if my anecodotal experiences will be any use to you, as it's not exactyly what you're asking, but of the supllemets I can recall trying and what the effects were, L-theanine supplement did absolutely nothing for me. I persisted daily until I got through the whole 90 pills, or w/e it was.

Ashwaganda seems to be recommended by many, but seems expensive. I've not tried it yet.

CBD capsules worked very well for me, for benzo w/d induced insomnia. The first night was amazing, and the second still effective, but then they started 'pooping out' on me.

Valerian root in it's natural form works very well for insomnia. The extract capsules also work but aren't as effective as valerian tea in my experience.

I suspect it would also work well for anxiety.

It's interesting the differernt preparations it comes in, you can get it more cheaply sold as 'horse food' online. It's perefectly fine for human consumption, but it's definitely a lot rougher than the more refined stuff that smells and tastes so delicious, clean, and fresh in comparion, but sells at like 3 times the price at high end 'boutique' herbalist oulets etc.

It was about £20 for 500g or a kilo the horse food grade last time I looked, and even that would cost a fortune to feed horses, judging by the size of them.

It's probably habit forming if you have insonmia and / or anxiety, seeing as it is so effective.

The video I was reffering above seems to be exactly what you were asking about. It's very long and there is a LOT to digest, but it's rammed with information.

Last edited:
That's great @Bleaney . Thanks for taking the time to fill me. I'll watch the video when I get a minute.

I've tried valerian before years ago and it definitely helps. Just tasted a bit like cat piss to me...

I like to think I'm over the worst of things and now looking at recovery and sorting my GABA receptors out hence my interest in this herb.

Thanks again,

BB

No worries. It was no bother really as I've already been over some of the same ground that you're asking about, on my own journey, so I just had to drege up my memory banks.

Fortunately youtube's history and subscriptions features make that a lot easier.....

I know it's easy to be put off watching such a long video, but there is a lot of good information on there, and in the other related videos that come up in the suggestions section.

It is a great video. I've mostly watched it but gonna watch again. I like the guys vibe. Even his tone is kinda chilled. Really like his style. Thanks for sharing.