• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

B.C. plans to give 'safer supply' fentanyl to minors. And parents won't have a say

Landrew

Bluelighter

B.C. plans to give 'safer supply' fentanyl to minors. And parents won't have a say​

No minimum age listed in protocols for providing youth with taxpayer-funded recreational fentanyl
Adam Zivo
Published Jan 10, 2024

In what constitutes a clear trampling of parental rights, British Columbia recently authorized the provision of “safer supply” fentanyl to youth across the province, regardless if parents are informed of, or agree to, this measure.

The provincial government has provided limited access to safer supply fentanyl since at least 2020, primarily through small-scale pilot projects. However, last August the British Columbia Centre on Substance Use (BCCSU), an influential research organization, published protocols permitting doctors and nurses to prescribe “safe” fentanyl tablets to adults and minors. The organization confirmed to me in an email that it had been contracted by the province to produce these documents “to further support clinicians prescribing safer supply across the province.”

read more

How many opioid addicts would, if given the choice, choose fentanyl over pharmaceutically-pure diamorphine or hydromorphone or other high-grade opiate?

My initial hunch, based upon my own personal experiences & the accounts I’ve read on this website, would be almost none, but I’ve heard different things in the media regarding this matter

the ~$20 they get for their daily dillies goes 3x further in fent due to the low price in Vancouver. I heard that directlhy from a safe supply recipient.

I also think they much prefer smokable fent powder to hydromorph pills, but havent had a chance to pick brains about that down here.

Shooting opiates is rare in van now, smoking has taken over.

Very interesting, thanks

I’ve seen some stuff in the media where they’re like, oh this new generation of addicts don’t really know anything but fent at this point, that’s all they want now etc. I find that very hard to believe personally because, imo, fent just sucks, I’m sorry but it does…I went into it with an open mind, thought “hey this is an ultra strong opioid narcotic right? Should be fun!” But nope. No warmth, no “body” of more traditional opioids, just crap all-around. I understand completely why people bitch about it all the time here. I would MUCH rather be slamming dillies or smoking heroin compared to consuming fentanyl, if I were still into that shit.

Well in the US they just give opiate addicts Suboxone(bupe&Nal). I wonder how different it would be if they tried something similar. Most of the recovery community just considers it diet fent anyway. Harm reduction is trying and idk if it helps but I know big pharma doesn’t care either way.

Very interesting, thanks

I’ve seen some stuff in the media where they’re like, oh this new generation of addicts don’t really know anything but fent at this point, that’s all they want now etc. I find that very hard to believe personally because, imo, fent just sucks, I’m sorry but it does…I went into it with an open mind, thought “hey this is an ultra strong opioid narcotic right? Should be fun!” But nope. No warmth, no “body” of more traditional opioids, just crap all-around. I understand completely why people bitch about it all the time here. I would MUCH rather be slamming dillies or smoking heroin compared to consuming fentanyl, if I were still into that shit.
I get hydromorph prescribed and no way in hell would i sell them for fent. Hydromorph IV is the closest thing to real heroin i've had. But i guess people already addicted to fent want that, it is stronger but the buzz is no where close euphorically to hydromorph.
Fent is also dirt cheap here in Ontario

The rush from smoking fent is way better than the rush from smoking any other opioid in my experience. Sure it has no legs but if you're a smoker nothing compares rush-wise

If what SJB says is accurate, that physicians write prescriptions for fentanyl, then we already do that in the US. From what I'm aware kids are able to get fentanyl here for some conditions if they're tolerant to opioids the only difference is that addiction to recreational opioids is added as an indication

The rush from smoking fent is way better than the rush from smoking any other opioid in my experience. Sure it has no legs but if you're a smoker nothing compares rush-wise
I do not doubt this. I never got a chance to do fentanyl. At one point I almost obtained a patch. But there has to be something that makes a person not care if their tolerance goes sky high and are taking a life/death risk for a feeling. A part of me thinks it is all relative. Like if you keep your tolerance low then morphine and heroin feel good. Once addicted to fentanyl I bet that all changes.

If what SJB says is accurate, that physicians write prescriptions for fentanyl, then we already do that in the US. From what I'm aware kids are able to get fentanyl here for some conditions if they're tolerant to opioids the only difference is that addiction to recreational opioids is added as an indication
This a way to start kids on a path to addiction and yes some cancer patients get it, and I was even offered fentanyl patches, along time back. But what is going on is the state wants control. Screw the parents, Trudeau is your daddy now. Neither country has any concept of middle ground on these issues. Pain patients suffer here and drug addicts are subsidized there. WTF?

A pathway to addiction? You think they're prescribing fent to people who aren't ready on it?

Bro they're already addicted
No they have tried it probably or need help, not support for a habit that will destroy they. How about crack next?
Get the kids into drugs; excuse teacher I need to go shoot up, can I have a pass?