• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

ayahuasca & neurogenesis

I haven't read the article, but if you want to dive deeper, they provide a link to the study they are refering to below the article.

might be worth a read if you can comprehend sciency language, because I feel like science journalists often tend to frame a study's finding less carefully than the actual authors would.

Last edited:
well, i was hoping for a feedback from people who actually did read the main article so i can understand this better further, but thanks anyway i guess...

Like prohibition of alcohol had caused so much crime in the past (& that is why it was repealed many years later), prohibition of many similar drugs are causing so much crime today! We need to take lesson from history!

Research can be the best positive advice going for us now. ♡

I think expanding the mind and opening it up to better thoughts and possibilities is by all means a great advancement and the ability to be able to choose that possibility.

Dear, we can't learn from history since the word itself means ''rumination, repetition/endless wind tunnels''.

im not sure if you guys know on which thread you are right now. the way you talk, sounds way off topic. i do not understand any of the things you said, how they relate to my topic at all!

The actual Nature paper cited has more relevant information than the puff piece article linked.
our results demonstrate that DMT treatment activates the subgranular neurogenic niche regulating the proliferation of neural stem cells, the migration of neuroblasts, and promoting the generation of new neurons in the hippocampus, therefore enhancing adult neurogenesis and improving spatial learning and memory tasks.
They show that DMT administration to mice causes growth and differentiation of stem cells into new neurons in the brain. The effect is apparently mediated by DMT's action at the sigma-1 receptor and not at the hallucinogenic 5-HT2aR as coadministration of ritanserin (a 5-HT2a antagonist) does not reduce the effect.
Paper; Altogether, these observations clearly indicate that DMT increases in vivo the number of new neurons originated in the hippocampus, action mediated by S1R.
They also performed some behavioral studies which indicate the mice treated with DMT have better memory and object recognition skills than control mice.
There is also an older study circa 2018 that shows 5-MeO-DMT has a similar effect on proliferation of new brain cells.

I thought this was known for some time, maybe I'm wrong though. Certainly there is some evidence that ayahuasca treatments produce positive mental changes, at least when conducted in an appropriate setting. (i.e. not drinking ayahuasca and hanging out in a dingy alleyway with unsavory folk)

ok if DMT is shown and proven in several studies to grow new neurons and it can help massively people with neurological diseases, then it is CRIME against humanity for this to be considered illegal and not allowed to be sourced!!!

The effect is apparently mediated by DMT's action at the sigma-1 receptor and not at the hallucinogenic 5-HT2aR as coadministration of ritanserin (a 5-HT2a antagonist) does not reduce the effect.

If this is true then you could also use the anti-cough drug pentoxyverine for this purpose.

The actual Nature paper cited has more relevant information than the puff piece article linked.

They show that DMT administration to mice causes growth and differentiation of stem cells into new neurons in the brain. The effect is apparently mediated by DMT's action at the sigma-1 receptor and not at the hallucinogenic 5-HT2aR as coadministration of ritanserin (a 5-HT2a antagonist) does not reduce the effect.
Paper; Altogether, these observations clearly indicate that DMT increases in vivo the number of new neurons originated in the hippocampus, action mediated by S1R.
They also performed some behavioral studies which indicate the mice treated with DMT have better memory and object recognition skills than control mice.
There is also an older study circa 2018 that shows 5-MeO-DMT has a similar effect on proliferation of new brain cells.

I thought this was known for some time, maybe I'm wrong though. Certainly there is some evidence that ayahuasca treatments produce positive mental changes, at least when conducted in an appropriate setting. (i.e. not drinking ayahuasca and hanging out in a dingy alleyway with unsavory folk)
I remember reading elsewhere that sigma-1 receptor agonism could have some deleterious impact on mind/body but I don't remember exactly. Am I wrong? maybe is just overusing it? I will search for the studies but rings the bell that I could have read a comment of yours talking about sigma receptors. Maybe?

If this is true then you could also use the anti-cough drug pentoxyverine for this purpose.

Actually sigma agonists similar in structure to pentoxyvetine (such as PRE-084) do in fact promote the expression of GDNF.

Sigma-1 receptor blockers are also interesting, because they potentiate the antinociceptive effect of morphine and tetrahydrocannabinol without increasing the inebriation caused by THC. N-phenethylpiperidine is one compound that blocks sigma1.