View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ayahuasca + Mirtazipine

Tryptamind

Greenlighter
Hey everyone, I am taking my first ayahuasca this friday, and I just stopped using mirtazipine yesterday after 2 months of use. I know that you are not supposed to use mirtazipine within 14 days after taking and MAOI, but is this the same principle in reverse? Would it be safe to consume an MAOI so soon after ceasing use of a tetracyclic antidepressant? I've looked all over and can't find a clear answer, any help is appreciated!

If I were you, i would wait a week or two just to be sure.

Better safe than sorry.

I don't know for sure though...

//blazR

^ seconded. Though if you are worried about it, perhaps a system cleaner would work? Not sure about the science behind the suggestion but it's always good to be healthy and purged of those nasty pharms.

Might I ask, are you planning to get mental relief from the experience? Aya vine in small doses alone is a great antidepressant from what I've read.

Thanks for your input, and morbiddoctor, that was not my original plan for use, I was making an attempt to get in tune with myself for once, but any mental relief offered from the tea is welcomed with open arms

ty everyone, i am currently brewing my tea right now, i was wondering if anybody had a definite answer on the health risks? I know that the half life is 20-40 hours, but does that definitely mean i'll be in the clear?

from wikipedia:
Mirtazapine and MAOIs are said to be contraindicated by some sources; however, there is no true indication that this is actually the case, and there is no proper literature on the subject warning against the combination whatsoever. Only a single study has mentioned anything significantly important regarding the combination, and they reported that it does not result in any incidence of serotonin-related toxicity.
The potential for dangerous drug interactions with mirtazapine is considered to be very low, if not completely negligible. As a serotonin receptor antagonist, mirtazapine will not cause serotonin syndrome at any dose, nor is it capable of causing tyramine-induced hypertensive crisis, unlike the SSRIs and MAOIs, respectively. In fact, mirtazapine can actually be used to treat serotonin syndrome.
I think you're good. Besides, as far as MAOI's go, harmaline is pretty safe. I know people that have eaten cheese and shit like that less than 12 hours after taking it.

^ that post was from 4 years ago, I really doubt it lol..

Wikipedia and a number of other sources would seem to agree with him though