• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Avoiding tolerance and physiological addiction

Al12

Ex-Bluelighter
I just wanted some info in regards to Codeine / Dihydrocodeine, I know that they are weak opiates compared to other pharm grade stuff. However I also know that being opiates they can also cause addiction. I wanted some first hand info in regards to usage and how to avoid any type of physical and to a lesser extent psychological addiction.

Do I risk mild to moderate addiction if I use codeine/ dihydrocodeine once every 7-10 days (strictly maintaining THIS schedule) and will it quickly increase my tolerance?

Thanks

Last edited:
You're fine if you stick to that schedule but what'll happen is after a while that won't be enough for you anymore. You will start to long for the days to go by so you can use and you will be miserable in the off period even if you dont experience physical symptoms.

Ya, what burn out said...I set up the exact same schedule with Hydrocodone 10 years ago...I'm now on ORT(opiate replacement therapy) via Suboxone, and still struggle to stay away from other opiates, usually go off my Subs once a month and spend money I wish I didn't.... We can't tell you the outcome, but if your setting up a schedule, it usually ends up not working for most people it seems.

It depends on your willpower really. More than likely you'll end up wanting more and more.

if you can stick to the schedule... I have a theory that withdrawal isn't just the use of the receptor, but creating unbalance between the mu and kappa receptors in the opiate region. That is why an oxymorphone has differences in it's withdrawal vs. oxycodone both quite selective to one receptor type, but opposites.

Ya, what burn out said...I set up the exact same schedule with Hydrocodone 10 years ago...I'm now on ORT(opiate replacement therapy) via Suboxone, and still struggle to stay away from other opiates, usually go off my Subs once a month and spend money I wish I didn't.... We can't tell you the outcome, but if your setting up a schedule, it usually ends up not working for most people it seems.

Yup and just to re-iterate my point because I think it's something most people don't fully consider; people think if they can just stick to the schedule it will work out great. But that's not what actually happens. Even if you have an iron will and force yourself to stick to the schedule, you just end up being miserable during the days you can't use anyway. Then you realize that your tremendous effort of will power is not even bringing you a worthwhile reward because youre still miserable. You realize that you would be better off just stopping completely or becoming an addict than sticking to your miserable schedule. Now because your brain has already been primed for addiction from your scheduled usage and you have developed a psychological attachment that you dont want to let go of, stopping completely sounds very unnapealing so you end up addicted. But the main point to remember is even if you manage to stick to your schedule, its not going to be as wonderful as your mind makes it sound. You are just setting yourself up to crave opiates all the time.

The rare people who are successful chippers are successful because they don't have much of an attachment to the drug, not because they set up schedules.

codeinee and dihydrocodeine are only "weak" because aprox 10% of them are converted to dihydromorphine / morphine

codeinee and dihydrocodeine are only "weak" because aprox 10% of them are converted to dihydromorphine / morphine
Doesn't codeine itself have activity at the kappa opiate receptors like hydro/oxy=codone

Thanks for the answers, lots of useful info that I will take into consideration.

In regards to physical or physiological damage though is it true that pharmaceutical opiates (IF used responsibly) are less harmful than alcohol and to an extent even weed?