• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Avoiding disaster with Valium

Yea that's what I thinking too , my withdrawal started 9,10 days later once before, I only read the last post he did , not first 1 , my bad , I think your right tapering going to prolong it.Thats the thing with these drugs for Anxiety it comes back most time , I use CBT for anxiety instead now.

On a taper now, 2nd day on 2.5 mg/day. Plan is for today to be the last day, see if there are any withdrawal symptoms that start over the weekend, and then there are a few left to continue tapering if needed on Monday. Feeling pretty good so far, little bit of anxiety returning.

Fortunately I only abused the things daily for 3 weeks. Seems this can be long enough to become physically addicted but not necessarily, and about 10 minutes is all it takes to become psychologically addicted depending on who you are.

Got down to 5 mg more quickly, two days of 5 mg now I'm on my second day of 2.5. plan is to take none tomorrow, see how that goes, and then I've got like 25 mg left if I get withdrawal symptoms, otherwise have them on hand for an emergency.

Starting to ask myself questions like what if I actually need to be on Valium to function normally? Maybe but I'm not going to try to make that decision until I've been benzo for you for a few weeks.

Scares the shit out of me how stupidly addictive these things are I hope I learned my lesson. Addiction in general is a b itch and I understand that benzo addiction is on its own level.
You'll make it; I commend you for stopping before things got out of hand. Benzo withdrawal is no walk in the park, especially if you're genuinely physically dependent on them. It's almost impossible not to take them when you're in full-blown withdrawal.

From what I've read, I'm confident you're in the clear. Tread carefully, and keep the rest of your stash for emergencies only, or use them sparingly if the rebound anxiety is too overwhelming.

Yea that's what I thinking too , my withdrawal started 9,10 days later once before, I only read the last post he did , not first 1 , my bad , I think your right tapering going to prolong it.Thats the thing with these drugs for Anxiety it comes back most time , I use CBT for anxiety instead now.
A proper taper is unnecessary; it will do more harm than good. I've tried CBT and found that it did nothing for me. I said fuck it and got a diazepam prescription. SSRIs, SNRIs, and countless other medications did nothing to help my anxiety, even before abusing benzos. Diazepam has enhanced my life. I can talk to girls now, go to the gym without feeling like all eyes are on me, and the countless other clichés. Benzos, as prescribed, on top of exercise, routine, and minimal degeneration, work wonders.

A proper taper is unnecessary; it will do more harm than good. I've tried CBT and found that it did nothing for me. I said fuck it and got a diazepam prescription. SSRIs, SNRIs, and countless other medications did nothing to help my anxiety, even before abusing benzos. Diazepam has enhanced my life. I can talk to girls now, go to the gym without feeling like all eyes are on me, and the countless other clichés. Benzos, as prescribed, on top of exercise, routine, and minimal degeneration, work w

You should not experience withdrawal symptoms for at least 2-7 days after your last dose. The "withdrawal" symptoms are most likely all in your head. 2-3 weeks on a low dosage shouldn't be a problem. Go cold turkey and use the rest of your stash accordingly.

Then again, this is just all anecdotal advice from my own experience with benzos. The shortest time I abused benzos was for 1 month, taking anywhere from 4-6mg of bromazolam per day; the physical withdrawal symptoms were minimal and only lasted about a week. The longest time was 6 months, taking 2-6mg daily; tapering off was not fun.

I wish you the best; perhaps you can acquire a prescription from a doctor? I've been prescribed 4mg of diazepam per day for over a year and have yet to abuse my script or any benzo. Just treat them with the respect they deserve. They should be used as a tool to enhance one's life; it sounds like you have a dreadful problem with anxiety. They could definitely change your life for the better. No one should have to deal with crippling anxiety.

Please keep all of us posted on your journey. You'll make it; we'll all make it.
A 2-4 mg script is probably what I need. For all the reasons you mentioned. My quality of my interactions drastically improved and have made me more successful in life while I'm the low dose. But I'm told that honeymoon period wears off. Any truth to that? I might be able to avoid taking more than prescribed, but then again I might just take a handful the first time I have a slightly bad day.

Even taking a low benzo dose as prescribed for an extended period worries me. I wouldn't want to be on the things forever. But then again what good is life if you've got too much anxiety to talk to people and be yourself and form relationships and such.

Does anyone have experience being on a low dose for months or years, successfully coming off them at some point? If so, what was it like?

You'll make it; I commend you for stopping before things got out of hand. Benzo withdrawal is no walk in the park, especially if you're genuinely physically dependent on them. It's almost impossible not to take them when you're in full-blown withdrawal.

From what I've read, I'm confident you're in the clear. Tread carefully, and keep the rest of your stash for emergencies only, or use them sparingly if the rebound anxiety is too overwhelming.
Yeah, I think you're right. Probably don't have any physical addiction right now. But I feel very strong pull and undoubtedly psychological addiction. I REALLY want to take another 2.5 mg this morning and I'm not sure I can resist.

Just tread carefully with valium they only seem work for short time then you got habit and the anxiety comes bk and dose needs to be upped , but that's my experience.

A 2-4 mg script is probably what I need. For all the reasons you mentioned. My quality of my interactions drastically improved and have made me more successful in life while I'm the low dose. But I'm told that honeymoon period wears off. Any truth to that? I might be able to avoid taking more than prescribed, but then again I might just take a handful the first time I have a slightly bad day.

Even taking a low benzo dose as prescribed for an extended period worries me. I wouldn't want to be on the things forever. But then again what good is life if you've got too much anxiety to talk to people and be yourself and form relationships and such.

Does anyone have experience being on a low dose for months or years, successfully coming off them at some point? If so, what was it like?
Yea I was on 4ml for last 2 years of my using and I just stopped ,but gave up Alcohol first that helped me loads, anxiety went down a lot , I stopped on 4ml a day cause change in doctor and I was fine

Just got my 90, 10mg Valium yesterday, have 3 refills, I think getting off benzos for me ain't gonna happen. I use to be on Lorazepam, 2mg 3 times a day for many years, switched to Valium, easier to come off, of but I know something I read. It stated that people on opiods for legit pain reasons can come off them easier than recreational users. I was happy to read that.
Then I read about people who have conditions that benzos really are needed have a horrible time getting off them. I don't mean as comfort meds. I mean, well I have had OCD, severe anxiety and other issues since I was young. I am someone who if a doctor knows me well enough will not hesitate to put me on them. No I am not insane. Then again the truley crazy always think they are sane. At a loss how to respond to that, different voices in my head all seem to have varying opinions.

Last edited:
Fuck, I gave in and took 2.5 mg. I know it was a bad move.

Will try again tomorrow for 0 mg. If I fail it will be with less than 2.5.

A week ago I was taking at least 15mg/day, so rationalized that as long as I don't go back up....should keep myself out of any real trouble.

I'm certain this is how a real problem begins. I won't let it

I have not noticed a change in diazepam's efficacy. To me, it is what it is.

Depending on how you want to stop, getting off any dose is possible. Cold turkey? Slow taper? Rapid taper? I have not been the same since I practically went cold turkey from my 6-month bromazolam bender, which was over 2 years ago. It could be worse, though; I'm only 22. People have recovered from opiate, benzo, stimulant addictions, etc, for longer than I've been alive.

Fuck, I gave in and took 2.5 mg. I know it was a bad move.

Will try again tomorrow for 0 mg. If I fail it will be with less than 2.5.

A week ago I was taking at least 15mg/day, so rationalized that as long as I don't go back up....should keep myself out of any real trouble.

I'm certain this is how a real problem begins. I won't let it
Don't worry, it happens. I suppose benzos would be my "drug of choice," everything else, in my opinion, sucks. Stimulants? Fuck no, I'm already wired enough. I can't even drink coffee... Weed? Nah, I'd rather not depersonalize and go all quiet. The list goes on. What I'm trying to say is that I have been able to take my prescription responsibly for over a year. This is all subjective, but as William Ernest Henley says, "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." As much as I hate to say it, it all comes down to willpower.

good time to stop before it really grabs hold and while some people live on benzodiazepines for the rest of their days some find the side effects more troublesome than others

I have no experience with regular use but if it’s like anything else for me cold turkey is how it must be done also inpatient is a reality for many users dependent on benzos also detox if they get a strong enough grip on you

Last edited:
I gave up alcohol 4 years ago, and agree that that was huge for reducing anxiety.
Alcohol makes me feel like I should die in a gutter but I keep the solo partying going like a drunken maniac drug addict until the lights go out but when you already gave up the fight for the light who cares
what goes right hahah just chillax and take something healthy to the max not just risky drugging and chugging

Alright that being said I appreciated immensely the giddily energized relaxing and loosening of alcohol intoxication and have moderated it few and far between how the drunken bender will just take over so fast no reasoning effective against that monster

Oops running off the point again congrats I feel great when I stop drinking it’s madness I keep doing it the pit is a black hole seemed to think it’s a rabbit hole he would stop drinking if he wanted to except there is more than one him inside the psyche a subpersonality does not listen to reason it outright defies it maddeningly absolutely crazy

More to the point the more I used benzos as a crutch the worse things got just because I can’t live fully taking them habitual but my problem looks different than others hope it works without needing a medical detox

Last edited:
Alcohol makes me feel like I should die in a gutter but I keep the solo partying going like a drunken maniac drug addict until the lights go out but when you already gave up the fight for the light who cares
what goes right hahah just chillax and take something healthy to the max not just risky drugging and chugging

Alright that being said I appreciated immensely the giddily energized relaxing and loosening of alcohol intoxication and have moderated it few and far between how the drunken bender will just take over so fast no reasoning effective against that monster

Oops running off the point again congrats I feel great when I stop drinking it’s madness I keep doing it the pit is a black hole seemed to think it’s a rabbit hole he would stop drinking if he wanted to except there is more than one him inside the psyche a subpersonality does not listen to reason it outright defies it maddeningly absolutely crazy

More to the point the more I used benzos as a crutch the worse things got just because I can’t live fully taking them habitual but my problem looks different than others hope it works without needing a medical detox
That perfectly describes my experience with alcohol. Super enjoyable just sit at the bar and have a couple and talk up whoever is sitting next to me for a couple hours. Would be perfect if I could leave it at that, but nope. I'm either drinking nothing or I'm waking up in the middle of the night on a Tuesday in a drunken stuper to go chug another beer to put me back to sleep.

I am supposed to be dead. In Dec 2015 Givin 1 year to live without liver transplant. No transplant. I take pain killers so I can eat. My pancreas is messed up. So many years later here I am, Benzo thing has me in a bind. Started taking 2mg Lorazepam( maximum normal dose 3 times a day in jan 2017, switched to 10mg Valium(diazepam) 3 times a day. On Oxycodone which makes me hyper and unable to sleep. Have OCD and severe anxiety. I am in a bind, cold turkey would likely kill me. Late 40's. Been on them so long and feel as I really need them to not go crazy. Under stress and have things to do. Getting off them could take a year to a year and a half.

Don't worry, it happens. I suppose benzos would be my "drug of choice," everything else, in my opinion, sucks. Stimulants? Fuck no, I'm already wired enough. I can't even drink coffee... Weed? Nah, I'd rather not depersonalize and go all quiet. The list goes on. What I'm trying to say is that I have been able to take my prescription responsibly for over a year. This is all subjective, but as William Ernest Henley says, "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." As much as I hate to say it, it all comes down to willpower.
Haha, I hate the caged rat feeling of cocaine and other stimulants so bad but occasionally forget and get my hands on some and then although it makes me feel like shit just keep doing it and doing it until it is gone and more often than not end up flushing my stash because I just can't trust myself not to do it if it's around.

Benzo's, on the other hand make me feel great, make me feel like myself, the one who has the power to put anybody at ease, to make anybody smile, etc, instead of the one that's to wrapped up inside my own head to even know how to talk to people.

Caved in again yesterday. First took a microdose of mushrooms (like .15 g) thinking that would help me but it made me anxious. Ended up taking 7.5 mg (3/4 of a legit blue) yesterday to get back to baseline.

Back on 2.5 mg today. The voice in my head keeps trying to tell me to get more because I can be responsible and keep the dose low, and only for another month or two until I can work out some of the things causing me grief, and then it will be easy enough to stop. I think the voice is full of shit. But very convincing.

. I think the voice is full of shit. But very convincing.
You knows it man. Starting to sound like it would just be better for you to flush your stash and forget the taper.

It will be a bit uncomfortable. The more benzo you take, the inevitable end-result discomfort will increase

Longterm benzo works well for an extremely small % of people, and is diasastrous for the rest