• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Avoiding cravings (opiates)

damik

Greenlighter
So I'm currently opiate free and have been for about a week and a half, the worst part of the withdrawals are gone but man I'm craving like hell mainly on an evening after I have finished work and got home. I'm doing about an hour's workout every night and eating alot healthier but still cravings persist quite badly. I understand cravings die down as time goes on but is there anything just to take the edge off? A friend recommended a couple of beers every night, so Instead of popping pills after work have some beers. Can anybody recommend this? Iv never really been a drinker only on special occasions. Sorry if this is a stupid question but this is the first time i have ever gone through withdrawals after 9 years of abusing pain pills.

Gabapentin took my cravings completely away. Kratom did as well. Congrats on being opiate free! It's no easy task! Wish ya the best of luck, keep it up!

So I'm currently opiate free and have been for about a week and a half, the worst part of the withdrawals are gone but man I'm craving like hell mainly on an evening after I have finished work and got home. I'm doing about an hour's workout every night and eating alot healthier but still cravings persist quite badly. I understand cravings die down as time goes on but is there anything just to take the edge off? A friend recommended a couple of beers every night, so Instead of popping pills after work have some beers. Can anybody recommend this? Iv never really been a drinker only on special occasions. Sorry if this is a stupid question but this is the first time i have ever gone through withdrawals after 9 years of abusing pain pills.
Well I can categorically say that substituting alcohol to fill in the opioid craving is a bad idea. That can get away from you in a hurry. I truly believe that alcohol is a far worse habit than opiates are. I tried that before and never again. The effects of booze and opiates are very different and it can be very easy to find yourself making multiple booze runs all night long trying to knock out the opiate WD. And continue this pattern for days. The anxiety gets worse with alcohol, for me anyway, and RLS, nausea and the runs did to. Booze is no way to cope. I have used gabapentin to good effect. It knocks out the RLS and anxiety and let's me sleep.

Booze is my DOC and has been 40 years! It’s a demon, as all drugs can be, but to acceptable and available ,,
Someone with addictive tendencies needs to stay away from the Mother of all drugs!

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately I dont have access to gabapentin and I don't want to run the risk of getting kratom into the UK. I think I will stay away from the booze as that seems like a downhill ride to disaster. Will weed help? As it's quite easy to get hold of for me. Also I can get small amounts of diazapam, can this be used without running the risk of becoming a benzo addict?.. the perfect suggestion would be to use nothing and fight the cravings but it's starting to get really tough.
Thanks.

Also during this point after about 1 and a half weeks opiate free I think I have the physical withdrawals over with. I'm just feeling in a slight low mood which I can deal with by keeping active and busy. Still have RLS but it's definitely manageable. It's just the urges and extreme cravings that i struggle with.

What makes things more difficult for me is that pain pills are available to me on tap for free. Iv never payed for any of them and I can go pick them up anytime I want. It makes them urges even stronger because of how easy it is for me to get them.

Last edited:
Yeah I think staying away from booze is a good idea. Personally, I think weed can help, but it's also very easy for it to get out of hand and become problematic as well. If I have a structured day, to where I can't just sit around and get stoned, I generally don't have a problem- although it seems to affect my appetite making it hard to eat in the day and nearly impossible in the morning. Although I'm sure if I were to moderate my smoking even more at night then this would hardly be much of an issue if at all.

It's not really the best way to deal with cravings though, as you are still giving in to that desire to change your feelings by chemical means, rather than work though them and battle it out. Having readily available access to them is not a good idea, and just the knowledge of that alone is going to be causing a lot of cravings by itself, whether you are consciously aware of it happening or not. Some bridges must be burned if you never want to go back across.

It's funny, I was just talking to someone today who is about a year off alcohol about cravings. I mentioned that I no longer crave opioids finally after about 2 years. I used to get intense drug dreams and wake up with the worst cravings. They still sound nice from time to time, but I don't get the intense physiological response, like sweaty palms and unbearable anxiety urging to get some type....

Healthy and pleasant distractions are probably the best ways to deal with cravings initially... like working out, reading, watching tv, comedy, art, music, writing, working, hiking, fishing, boating, running..... that type of stuff. Eventually you realize you don't need those drugs to feel good. Yesterday I went on a jog and ended up going about 6 miles because I felt so good.

Also, just to add, for long term and even in the short term as well, things like CBT with an emphasis on exposure therapy with your specific triggers is probably the most effective and proven methods for dealing with cravings/triggers.

Last edited:
How long were you using for?
What form of opiates were you taking?

I'm UK based myself & the quality of gear round by me atm is banging may I add.
I'd keep well away from booze myself as the amount of people I have known that have switched from the gear to booze is horrific, also I'd keep away from the benzo's too as you get hooked on them the withdrawl is worse than the gear.

You'll be lucky to get gabapentin as the UK law has changed due to junkies in Scotland turning up dead from them, the NHS really don't like to give them out now but they were a wonder drug to come off gear imho.

I strongly suggest smoking a blunt or two at the end of the day, you may also have to go through PAWS yet which is to be blunt fucking horrific.

Well done bro. I wish I could quit opioids.

Perhaps a trip to a late night gym to get some endorphins pumping

Deaths from gabapentin here in the US seem to be in conjunction to use of it as an opiate potentiate not on it's own. The debate over it is rather lively. Laws on it vary from state to state and a couple have rescheduled it. My state as yet has left it be with focus on opiates and benzos. In the rush to pounce on the latter the DEA has created a new monster. Many legitimate pain patients have been targeted and turned to heroin. Terminal cancer patients, and others dealing with severe chronic pain have been left no choice. And now big brother is going after drugs that can fill the void somewhat forcing people to either stay addicted or writhe in severe pain. So they turn to the streets. The cartels dont report to the DEA. Gabapentin on it's own without opiates or other drugs has no shown to be a major cause of overdose but common sense and the law are not always inclusive to each other.

I was taking around 1200mg of codeine and 400/600 sr Tramadol a day for around 9 years with no breaks, I also used oral morphine occasionally. I think I actually had it under control because I would never pop tablets until I had got home from work and done everything that needed doing. The last year of my addiction I was starting to use before work and during work, it was rapidly getting out of my hands, hence the reason I have decided to stop them completely..

I work out for about an hour every night which is brilliant but soon as I have finished them cravings all come back. It seems i need to be active and busy 24/7 to keep the the urges and cravings away.

Congrats on kicking opiates! Heroin has such a hold on me, and has for so long, that sometimes I feel like I’ll never be able to get clean. But, like the other posts say, I don’t suggest substituting alcohol for the cravings. Even though it’s not your thing you never know. And same goes for bentos. Definitely not! If you feel like you need something, weed is a good choice like others have said. It’s not addicting and it’s safe, so I feel that you should give it a try. Also, that is AWESOME that you’ve been getting healthy and eating right and exercising. Exercising produces endorphins, which interact with the opiate receptors in the brain to reduce our perception of pain, similar to the opiates we use to get high, as well as make us happy. I hope things work out for you and you find something that works out. Good luck!

So at this point I'm feeling real down. Never experienced depression before but im definitely not my self had suicidal thoughts last night so I may book in with my doc. Also smoked some weed last night for the first time and to be honest it made me feel nothing but lazy, I just wanted to lay down, not move and eat a load of food. But I did feel quite calm and it did curb the cravings slightly but I'm wondering if the weed had anything to do with the suicidal thoughts and really low mood? Maybe the weed enchanced the bad effects from withdrawals due to its ability to make you paranoid/anxious ect? ... I am definitely staying away from the booze for sure. Il keep smoking weed for a while just too give it a chance but I really don't want to swap one addiction with another..

I’m not sure exactly how far along you are in your detox but the feelings of depression is a symptom of opiate detox. I know for a fact that it is something the user goes through during heroin detox because I felt that way myself many times and I’m pretty sure it’s the same for opiate pills as well. It does pass with time, you just have to keep telling yourself to get through each day and don’t use no matter what because then you’re just starting the process all over again. I also don’t think the weed made you feel suicidal, I’ve never heard of weed doing that to someone. And the feeling of being lazy and wanting to eat a lot? That’s exactly what you feel like when you smoke it lol or how I feel if I smoke a lot. I can get paranoid too which I think you mentioned, so that is definitely from the weed. That’s why I don’t do it anymore, I honestly hate it now. I’m like a fat slug who’s too paranoid to leave my room because I don’t want everyone else seeing me like that. Not fun lol.

I'm almost 2 week off tablets now. No real physical withdrawals anymore although I still have RLS which has seemed to of got worse. Weeds not really my thing at all, it's almost like trying to stay awake after taking sleeping pills, feeling really heavy and tired which isn't my thing. I actually can't understand why anybody would find that fun.

damik, I can't believe how much I'm mirror you right now. I'm now 14 days clean off of quite a heavy dose of a freely flowing supply of pain pills. Day 10 I was feeling ok (still pretty terrible but ok enough to get out and do something to try and keep busy) and was being pressured to socialize and then I had a drink which made me feel not too bad, had a few more and felt quite good for a bit. The comedown was hell though, no traditional hangover but almost three days in bed with the darkest thoughts imaginable unable to motivate myself to do anything but get up to the bathroom, drink some water and maybe take a bite or two of some food.

I have no idea what the answer is. I've spent probably over 120 hours reading everything on the internet and in books as to what to do and they all have similar themes but all differ too. What I'm doing is looking for a magic plan to put into practice which I dont think exists. And in looking for that magic plan im not putting into practice any of the things I've learnt or read about. Some of the best advice I got was in the thread I created a week ago 7 days clean, how to make it last, if you havent read that.

To answer your initial question about anything to take the edge off Imodium or loperamide, anti-diarrhea agents, are actually opiates which don't enter the brain. I hear of some success with them but be super careful, dont listen to those saying take 20 tablets, stay within the stated dosing and then really watch that you don't get constipated and develop a blockage you need to have to get surgically removed (ive seen it happen). Have a non fiber based laxative just in case you start getting constipated developing a blockage (havent had a bowel movement in 3 days). It's also not very well absorbed but might give just that edge.

Some herbs which I've had varying levels of success are valerian root for sleep, gaba (not gabapentin) for sleep and relaxation, rhodiola to boost your mood, ashwagandha for stress, relaxation and sleep. I believe they're all widely available.

Amazing job though, reading you are still going to work sometimes caused my jaw to drop. If it's any consolation day 13 was about the worst mentally but now mid way through 14 I can say it's been one of the better.

Barbiturates and similar drugs, clonidine, ketamine and benzodiazepines can help. If I were in that situation, one thing I would consider is seeing if a subtherapeutic dose of a weak opioid like codeine, tramadol, or propoxyphene would raise the opioid level in the bloodstream to keep cravings from getting so severe. Unlike things like constantly thinking about drugs, narcotic cravings have a physiological basis.

Since this would not be a dose which produces euphoria, and the cravings may last a week or two and are not going to be permanent, it would be much easier to simply discontinue all of the above when it becomes clear that they are not needed. It sounds like you have been off of narcotics for long enough that the endorphin production in your body is well on the way to where it was.

Don’t start drinking to help it as alcoholism is easy to fall into , kratom can help but it is addictive and don’t listen to anyone who says it’s not and again gabapentin is another pill , the fact is like me and so many you have an addictive personality so you know really deep dow there’s a more than small chance you will swap one addiction for another. None of these things get rid of craziness they just knock you out or mess with your head enough you don’t think of it . I know it’s not easy and I know we all want an easier way out but my honest advice is keep doing what your doing, the fact your even getting exercise inis impressive. Please just keep
trying because I promise you the cravings will ease off n eventually you will not only have less cravings but you will have a good fitness level and be a good weight and feeling great. Please believe I know it’s not easy and this probably isn’t what you want to hear but there isn’t anything that gets rid of cravings that isn’t also possible to get addicted to

Don't take anything. Trust me, I've tried to substitute everything for opiates. If you can get into exercise that would be great for a natural high. What you're experiencing is totally normal. You might as well just go through it now because if you take anything to make it easier, it'll just be a temporary fix and eventually you'll be feeling the same. Just get through it. It may take months or a year. But see it through. There's another side that you WILL eventually come out of. If you don't do it now then you'll have to do it sometime later if you want to be clean.

I have 9.5 months off of opiates and I can promise you it'll get better. Give it a chance.

Oh and don't take kratom. That shit's evil.