birdup.snaildown

Greenlighter
Hello. Couple of questions.

Does anyone know what the colour code is for the blue colour directly surrounding avatar pics?

I tried to sample the colour with the Photoshop dropper so I could use it as a transparent background for my FEA badge but it ended up a much darker tone for some reason?

When I upload avatar pics are they compressed? Does the colour scheme change as a result of compression?

Help would be appreciated, but obviously this isn't life or death.

Thanks in advance.

It might be compression.

But another thing I'd wonder is, is it possible the color code you got was partially transparent?

Cause if it is it would be adding the blue in top of the blue again making it darker.

If you can I'd see if your images blue has a transparency value.

If it does, then it'd actually work better to just make the whole blue fully transparent so it works with other themes too.

EDIT: Nope, not transparency. the color is what it appears to be in the uploaded version.

I don't have any photo editing software on my end otherwise I'd try and fix it for you.

What I can tell you is that the background color for the avatar border appears to be #cadce9

So Red: 202
Green: 220
Blue: 233

If that's the color you're using, somethings going wrong with compression or something when it's uploaded or being saved.

Hope this info helps at all. <3

I do like your avatar btw. I'm still pleased with the avatar you inspired me to use :D. <3

Last edited:
Going with a transparent background would be your best bet. There are several online sites that will allow you to edit your image to have a transparent background. This would allow for when we force a different color theme (ala blacklight).

Fuck. And I thought I was pedantic.

I suppose and in fairness: I see what you're trying to do. Looks good (although the timing with said change wouldn't happen to have something to do with the trial/law enforcement thread now would it? :ROFLMAO: )!

Well for the record and assuming this blue theme:

The color of the column, to the left of these posts (where your avatar appears), is Hex #CADCE9 or Red: 202, Green: 220, Blue: 233.

The actual (border or background) color of your current avatar is Hex #07E4EE or Red: 215, Green: 228, Blue: 238. This, ironically, is the same color as the background color of actual posts on a thread.

Tell you why the confusion:

When you go to your member profile page the light blue color is NOT the same as the light blue color of the column to the left of these posts (where your avatar appears).

In other words: if you changed the background color of your avatar to Hex #CADCE9 or Red: 202, Green: 220, Blue: 233 then it would appear correct HERE (within threads and adjacent to posts) but NOT on your member profile and nor would it appear to be correct when looking up a listing of your posts on your member profile (there, at the moment, it appears correct at the moment).

Point being: albeit hard to distinguish the difference between certain pages the site isn't using the exact same light blue color throughout i.e. it varies between the two detailed above depending on the page you're on.

Did you fuck around with the background color as yet (for the sake of interest)?

Yes I'm bored at the moment (in case you're wondering)! :ROFLMAO: Not to mention resisting temptation insofar as being triggered by one or two threads.

@dalpat077

So the image that is uploaded ATM after help from @JessFR and @TheLoveBandit: I used a 192x192 GIF with a transparent background.

I also (initially) tried using CADCE9, but I was compressing into JPG format and using a much larger image, so it was probably compressed. Perhaps if I used CADCE9 in a 192x192 GIF that would work?

I'm surprised nobody has done this before.

I'm going to have another crack at it at some point, but I'm not optimistic.

The transparent image confuses me because (if you change themes) the background colour on my avatar also changes... which indicates that there is a semi-opaque background rather than a completely transparent one, but - at this point - I can't determine why.

I appreciate the help.

Fuck. And I thought I was pedantic.

:ROFLMAO:

You'd better hope I can get my Coca plants avatar back! :ROFLMAO:

I found the problem. But there ain't no solution. So I figured I'd put your mind at ease.

I've tried GIF and PNG and JPG with every possible option (using GIMP and which has every option you have in PS and then some). I simply created files with a transparent background and nothing else. Ended up with the same result as you.

Here's the problem.

Take a look at the image below. The background color (light gray in the example below) is the color where the avatar is and is the same as the border below the post itself (don't let your eyes fool you i.e. I've checked and the colors are identical) (it just APPEARS that the color behind the avatar is slightly darker but it's an optical illusion I assure you).

In other words: your transparency is working perfectly. It's just that the background color isn't what you think it is or expect it to be. Only (radical) fix (on the site itself i.e. nothing you can do about it) would be to change the color of the panel that surrounds the avatar and forms the left hand border or column in which case you'd only have the separator line showing between said left hand border or column and posts.

There endeth my good deed for the decade! :ROFLMAO:

C4sn8WB.jpg

Oh. Sorry. Forgot the below part of you post.

Perhaps if I used CADCE9 in a 192x192 GIF that would work?
I've just done that. Check out the column on the left. That's what you're trying to accomplish. Look Mom. No avatar pic! 🤪 Nope. Not so.

Problem: take a look at the main index now or at the index of my list of posts. You'll note that my avatar is now SLIGHTLY darker than the surround color on those pages. In other words: by forcing it to be the same color as the column on the left it only looks right in the thread itself (and obviously now it'll stay the same color even if you change the theme because it's not longer transparent and forced to said color).

Anyway and for the record: the current avatar (until you've acknowledged all of this horseshit) is a GIF of size 192 x 192 pixels and resolution of 300 x 300 dpi (those were just defaults) with sRGB color space. Creating, saving, and uploading didn't do anything to alter the color.

Last edited:
Take a look at the image below. The background color (light gray in the example below) is the color where the avatar is and is the same as the border below the post itself (don't let your eyes fool you i.e. I've checked and the colors are identical) (it just APPEARS that the color behind the avatar is slightly darker but it's an optical illusion I assure you).

In other words: your transparency is working perfectly. It's just that the background color isn't what you think it is or expect it to be. Only (radical) fix (on the site itself i.e. nothing you can do about it) would be to change the color of the panel that surrounds the avatar and forms the left hand border or column in which case you'd only have the separator line showing between said left hand border or column and posts.

Damn. First, great work detective. Go grab yourself a cookie.

I should have thought of that, but didn't. The software has settings for the default color of every part of the screen, and I did NOT consider them highlighting the av space with an off-color. While it is technically possible for me to dig through the site settings to find that ONE field and see if I can set it to the same as the left panel....I'd have to do that for every style we use and every one we add later (not a good plan). Also, frequently they tie a default color like that to several other fields and it may make things wonky if done incorrectly. As such, we'll probably have to live with it as is for now. Sorry.

Yeah sorry, I looked into this when we switched to XF and there's a good technical reason why the two colors are different and likely always will be: somebody would have to duplicate a whole bunch of XF templates for each color scheme and keep them individually updated every time any changes to the default templates are made to keep them consistent. And that just isn't going to happen :)

You can screen shot the color and superimpose the desired image on that color screenshot. (My profile photo is the screenshotted color.)