• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Automatic 911 Caller for Heroin OD?

schnapple

Greenlighter
Hi Bluelight community I apologize if I am not posting this in the right area.
I am wondering, specifically with regards to drugs that can cause respiratory arrest in the case of OD, if there is, or would be use for a product that automatically calls 911 if a pulse is not felt for a period of time and a warning buzz sound is not addressed by the user.

In my mind this sounds like a great idea, but I am not heavily entrenched in the culture of those who face the possibility of OD by this route.

Any thoughts on this idea, and if it exists already, would be greatly appreciated, especially if anyone believes this would be useful.

Thank you all.

A better idea would be not to do doses of things that could probably kill you at your current attempted doses, without a friend nearby when you decide to do it. Much better idea imo. Stay safe my friend..

Sounds like a good idea as long as it's not gonna mess up and send the cops to my house when I'm just fine. Personal I think I'd rather die than deal with losing lots of years rotting in hell on earth. I'm sure you'd find a ripe market for such a device though. Go for it bro! Sounds like a rightous idea man...

Thanks for the replies!
crisler my specific reason for focusing on Heroin here is precisely because it seems to be very easy to OD on.
Some people don't have friends or sitters, and for the OD dose, I highly doubt people are not trying to be safe.
Accidents happen.

something like lifealert, except u have to push a button on ur wrist. never get high alone

A better idea would be not to do doses of things that could probably kill you at your current attempted doses, without a friend nearby when you decide to do it. Much better idea imo. Stay safe my friend..

fuck off.

OP: Sounds like a good idea I think, maybe work on it a bit more.. but encouraging. I like anything that can help with an OD. I've had to perform CPR before on my wife and her on me, both with heroin OD and it's not a pleasant time and I'm only alive because I don't typically use alone.

Also - even a simple feature where realising you've taken an OD have an ability to press something that will follow through on getting you an ambulance.

Yes in a perfect world we would have a sitter when we use(or in a perfect world wouldn't need drugs) but the world isn't perfect and when you are dope sick finding a sitter is low on our list of priorities.
A device like that would be awesome,I'm tired of hearing of my old friends passing before their time but the real shitty part is usually they were with someone but the person didn't have the balls to call for help!

The technology already exists in products like Fitbit watches. It would only take some extra programming to add an app that would link to your phone that would call 911 if it didn't detect a pulse. Of course the problem would be the fact that without a pulse you're unconscious so 911 operators are going to have a hard time getting your location. Perhaps some automated GPS based software that would tell 911 where your location is.

Unfortunately most drug-users are not trusting enough to have an app that would link their location to anyone that is involved with police so I think the market for something like this would be limited.

At *mostly-human*. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my response, and its great advice. Just not everyone has the convenience of not being alone when they do things that could kill them. I didn't say it in a demeaning way, OP didn't get offended? Why are you so angry at a logical response? Is it because you are afraid of hearing the truth? Does it make you feel insecure? Not sure why you're mad buddy but I feel good about my suggestion.

You say your only alive because you weren't alone. And you tell me to fuck off because of my suggestion, lol. Ok man, Im not sure you have many brain cells up there but best of luck to you. You're a grown man grow up, stop wanting to be coddled, face reality and stop hiding from it.

Last edited:
Do u do dope cris?

No sir, I only occasionally do opiates, either oxycodone, hydrocodone, or codeine. Haven't done codeine in over a year though. But I don't think its necessary to be an addict to be able to give the advice I gave. Not sure why it seemed to rub a couple people the wrong way. I simply gave my honest opinion on the best solution for OP's question but it didn't come from a place of righteousness or thinking I'm better than someone who is an addict. I just simply gave my opinion. Wish you the best bro

No sir, I only occasionally do opiates, either oxycodone, hydrocodone, or codeine. Haven't done codeine in over a year though. But I don't think its necessary to be an addict to be able to give the advice I gave. Not sure why it seemed to rub a couple people the wrong way. I simply gave my honest opinion on the best solution for OP's question but it didn't come from a place of righteousness or thinking I'm better than someone who is an addict. I just simply gave my opinion. Wish you the best bro
I was just curious is all, i didn't mean to come off like a dick, sry about that bro. For a lot of us using dope is quite an isolating thing if u know what I mean. No one I'm close to knows that I use so it's just not feasible to have a sitter for most of us I would think. I do respect your opinion though and in a perfect world it would all be just that simple. Take care brother and be safe with the pills, they may just lead you to a place you would've never thought you would venture to...

I recommend a medical alert button, similar to the lifeline buttons on TV.

Here's a comparison:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2014/06/what-to-look-for-in-a-medical-alert-system/index.htm

It's very possible EMTs would not arrive fast enough. Consider getting some Narcan so a friend could administer in an emergency. It's now sold OTC by CVS in many states.
I could picture the commericial for this product " a junky laying at either the bottom of the stairs or most likely next to a toilet with a needle in his arm saying"I've ODed and I can't get up". Sorry to make light of a very important subject I just feel adding levity into uncomfortable circumstances is my way to deal,probably inappropriate!

I could picture the commericial for this product " a junky laying at either the bottom of the stairs or most likely next to a toilet with a needle in his arm saying"I've ODed and I can't get up". Sorry to make light of a very important subject I just feel adding levity into uncomfortable circumstances is my way to deal,probably inappropriate!

Made me lol, not making light of the situation. I've overdosed before and had plenty of friends die from it and it didn't hurt my feelings. Then again I've got a twisted sense of humor..

OT: most users wouldn't be the ones buying these, it would be their family members.

"Are you wearing your pulse detector thingy?"

"Ugh but moooooomm... "

if you wore an O2SAT and blood pressure vitals monitor, then yeah you could build your own system in theory. Would I trust my life with it? No.

Thanks for all the replies, friends.

I agree, the first line of defense is careful doses and a sitter. My goal here would not be to get anyone killed or arrested. I think it would be implicit that you can't trust your life to this, I suppose. I'm a student now and many people I *know use opiates regularly, and have had some scares. While the best defense is the traditional advice you've all expressed, an additional line of protection sounds like no harm at all.

It would only take some extra programming to add an app that would link to your phone that would call 911 if it didn't detect a pulse.
^^ @pinpoint

I have actually considered this, and you've just affirmed my idea about this.

I'm deciding on work-arounds for the issue of false-positives. Truly you'd never be able to assume this is your be-all-end-all safety net, but I sure do hope it would help.

Ideally, 911 would only be involved if you feel you trust the product enough to call only when needed, otherwise you could potentially have some non-emergency emergency contacts.

Thank you all so much
I want to make this low-cost, and helpful. I want to help people. You have helped me! I thank you again.

This is a great idea, OP. Literally no one that I'm close to knows I'm shooting heroin--I have no using friends right now. Telling anyone isn't really an option, unfortunately. I try to be careful, but something could always go wrong. So a product like this would be very beneficial.

Also, I think that prescription overdoses exceed heroin ODs now. These sometimes happen accidentally. I've heard people throw around the idea of giving a naloxone rescue kit to all patients prescribed an opiate. Which would be great, but still would not help anyone who uses alone.

This is a great idea, OP. Literally no one that I'm close to knows I'm shooting heroin--I have no using friends right now. Telling anyone isn't really an option, unfortunately. I try to be careful, but something could always go wrong. So a product like this would be very beneficial.

Also, I think that prescription overdoses exceed heroin ODs now. These sometimes happen accidentally. I've heard people throw around the idea of giving a naloxone rescue kit to all patients prescribed an opiate. Which would be great, but still would not help anyone who uses alone.

Its posts like this that make me more determined than ever. I was starting to bomb school as my interest in opiates increased but now... I think I can channel this into my EE degree. I use alone. I get scared often when I think I may have overdone it, and I don't have friends who know about what I do.

I wish you the best of luck and safety and health.
I will be getting to work on this.
Be well!!