• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Australians : Help me out here - DEFINE JUNKIE?

jukies are hard drug addicts who rob,steal, often sleep rough etc
generally not nice people

im a heroin addict, as I pay my bills, work, shower and dont break 'non drug-control' laws, but still need to use 'done (on MMT) every day - and hammer whenever i have the coin

I know a few guys that refuse to go out unless they have MDMA. Someone that takes every week, because it's available isn't a junkie, I've had weeks like that. But for someone to refuse to go out unless they have MDMA is a junkie.

While someone who wont go out without MDMA has developed a dependance on the drug for a fairly specific social context I fail to see how that would make them anything close to a junkie. Some people may have always felt anxious in these settings and since they found MDMA only choose to go out in that head space. I agree that isn't exactly healthy it isn't even that close to an addiction let alone an addiction affecting your life to the point of becoming a dodgy person.

You really come across quite judgemental in my view because there are many people who abuse drugs to self medicate or to periodically alleviate a problem like anxiety to go out and the majority aren't scum bags. I see a junkie is someone who is so addicted and selfish they put their addictions above everything else, it is a negative thing in a sense of how it reflects their morals. The majority of addicts and abusers of drugs do not put it above everything else and wont fuck over other people for a hit, in my belief there is nothing inherently immoral about drug use and drug addiction is a medical problem usually contributed to by certain factors in a persons life external to their drug use as well as excessive use. As someone who is and has been dependant on several drugs at different times I would take it as an insult to be called a junkie yet I do not for one second deny being an 'addict'.

Yep. Kinda doubt a mdma user, even a very heavy one could be defined as a junkie. Or a pot head who smokes cones all day every day, they arent a junkie.

A heavy heroin or meth or crack user usually, one who has lost alot and keeps using and stealing and lying to use more.

While someone who wont go out without MDMA has developed a dependance on the drug for a fairly specific social context I fail to see how that would make them anything close to a junkie. .....
... I see a junkie is someone who is so addicted and selfish they put their addictions above everything else, it is a negative thing in a sense of how it reflects their morals. ......I would take it as an insult to be called a junkie ......

"Junkie" certainly is both a moral judgement and an insult, and as such should be avoided imnsho. Drug dependence changes our perceptions of salience - how important drug use is compared to other activities, relationships and things. It's just not relevant to take a moral stance on what people do to get their drugs - wouldn't you do the same if you walked in their steps? It's true - some people do some fucked up shit - those people need our support so they can change. Shaming them through labels like "junkie" actually helps keep them trapped in problem behaviour so it's counter-productive as well as judgemental.

And it's worth remembering - there are plenty of people out there who consider anyone who has used any illicit drug at any level as a junkie. That's you and me both yeah?

^ I believe that people make many choices on their road to addiction and as such, shouldn't be absolved of full reponsibility. Sure, my view of addiction and the treatment addicts should receive is probably very lenient in terms of the majority of Australians because I have experience with it - but that doesn't mean that I don't make a moral judgement when someone makes a very bad choice. I think it's unrealistic to think that most people wont judge people on their faillings, and while I agree it's probably never helpful to label someone as a junkie, doesn't recovering from addiction often involve taking a long hard look at yourself and not liking what you see - knowing you're living in a way that doesn't align with your morals, or the morals of those around you? Absolving people of responsibility can be just as damaging as labelling them as people for their behaviour, as it also absolves them of the responsibility to change. And if people aren't responsibly for bad behaviour, doesn't that also devalue the people who make a conscious effort not harm others, despite being addicted?

^I guess I would draw a distinction between holding someone responsible for their actions, and thinking they were a "good" or "bad" person because of their actions. Labelling someone as morally inferior actually does absolve them from responsibility - either they take it on board and say "I'm a lost cause", or they reject it and say "you are persecuting me". Either way, they've got an excuse not to take responsibility for their lives. That's the problem with the j word - it's offensive and counter-productive.

I do agree with you to an extent and generally I don't think you should label someone a good or bad person on the basis of actions caused by something that is ever more widely accepted as a disease (not to say I completely agree with this). But, if whether you're a good or bad person isn't based on behaviours, what is it based on? The road to hell is paved with good intentions, as they say.

IMO, a junkie is a drug addict who's addiction leads them to have the "junkie" appearance (ie. like an ice/crack/heroin addict who's dying for a hit, who look like they haven't slept in days, have nervous twitches etc).

I mean, I'd definitely say Heroin addicts are junkies, but I know a few crack-heads and ice addicts who we'd call junkies.

So I'd say any Ice/Crack/Heroin addict who uses every day and has a physical appearance of an every day user is a junkie.

But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
I used to use ice every day though and most people didn't know that. I definitely didn't have a 'junkie' appearance, or any visual signs that I was an everyday user. For me, it takes more than frequency of use or state of addiction to label someone a junkie, but as ayjay said, the term is a personal judgement anyway, and really just serves to define someone with a worse habit than you as separate and different.

this actually seems to be a heavy subject.. personal definitions of a 'junkie' can vary from one extreme to the other... enough said?

A junkie is obviously someone who has access to more drugs than me, lucky so and so's.

real hard topic, of course, those of us who once perceived things like IV use as a junkie, soon change their perception of what a junkie is - and has no empathy for any others except themselves to get their fix.

These perceptions really alter along the course of junkiness imho. highly - and might I add upon reaching any kind of HR knowledge level as to how things work.

so... two drug addicts walk into a park, looking for a fix...one got pissed off because they couldn't score... one said to the other, "lets go play some pool, then" The other one said, "na fuck these c*&nts" lets go and try and find somewhere else to score...

which one is the junkie?

I used to use ice every day though and most people didn't know that. I definitely didn't have a 'junkie' appearance, or any visual signs that I was an everyday user. For me, it takes more than frequency of use or state of addiction to label someone a junkie, but as ayjay said, the term is a personal judgement anyway, and really just serves to define someone with a worse habit than you as separate and different.

If you were indulging every day then you were a junkie. I'd bet a dollar that there were times you said, "Never again, I'm not going to use tomorrow" and yet you got up and had a hit. Plenty of functional junkies out there. To me it doesn't matter if you steal or work for your habit, if it controls you to any degree then you are a junkie.

That's the thing about "junkie" you don't get to define the term yourself, it is used by other people to describe how you make them feel. Plenty of people don't understand how someone can't go out with mates on a Friday night and not have a drink of alcohol. To them you are a slave to alcohol. If I am sitting next to you on a couch in a club and you are sweating and the only thing you can talk about is what pill you are on and how fucked up you are then you my friend in my eyes are a pill junkie, particularly if you do this every weekend.

If you feel offended by someone describing you as such then you might want to have a look at your life style. Or stop giving a fuck what other people think of you.

+1 ^^

I give a fuck to a degree what people think i look like, i go out of my way to look like a good clean khunt. but hey, its the family that sees the worst of it.

Even if i don't look junked out all the time, with any degree of sleep dep + dehydration you're looking at a disaster.

everyone has differing opinions and thats cool.

junk·ie   
[juhng-kee]
–noun Informal .
a drug addict, especially one addicted to heroin.
a person with an insatiable craving for something: a chocolate junkie.
an enthusiastic follower; fan; devotee: a baseball jun

If you were indulging every day then you were a junkie. I'd bet a dollar that there were times you said, "Never again, I'm not going to use tomorrow" and yet you got up and had a hit. Plenty of functional junkies out there. To me it doesn't matter if you steal or work for your habit, if it controls you to any degree then you are a junkie.

That's the thing about "junkie" you don't get to define the term yourself, it is used by other people to describe how you make them feel. Plenty of people don't understand how someone can't go out with mates on a Friday night and not have a drink of alcohol. To them you are a slave to alcohol. If I am sitting next to you on a couch in a club and you are sweating and the only thing you can talk about is what pill you are on and how fucked up you are then you my friend in my eyes are a pill junkie, particularly if you do this every weekend.

If you feel offended by someone describing you as such then you might want to have a look at your life style. Or stop giving a fuck what other people think of you.

I think we've already seen in this thread that junkie is a personally constructed term, and that alone means I'm not offended by you thinking I was one, however hasty I think you've been in using that label on a stranger.

As I said in an earlier post, I think recovering from a serious addiction takes looking at yourself and realising you're living in a way that doesn't align with your morals. You could construe that as me realising I was a junkie by your definition, and definitely not acting in a way that was the most beneficial to me, and taking the steps to ensure that I'm now 6 months clean, and will remain clean always.

While someone who wont go out without MDMA has developed a dependance on the drug for a fairly specific social context I fail to see how that would make them anything close to a junkie. Some people may have always felt anxious in these settings and since they found MDMA only choose to go out in that head space. I agree that isn't exactly healthy it isn't even that close to an addiction let alone an addiction affecting your life to the point of becoming a dodgy person.

I have this problem, MDMA was always used in social settings from a young end, particularly party ones. Now every party I have to be on something. Nearly every weekend really.

Would any one define me as a junkie as I am not addicted to any one particular substance however well and truly addicted to all of them (I'd probably die before I could quit drugs at this stage [certain ones, yes but all of them, no.]). I usually use every weekend, ranging from stims, psychs to downers and weed, whatever really. I'd probably do a drug every day if I had the option.