• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Australians face death penalty in China after drug arrests

poledriver

Bluelighter
Australians face death penalty in China after drug arrests

SEVERAL Australians are facing possible the death penalty in China after being arrested for drug smuggling.

Government sources will not reveal how many people are involved but say there appears to be a pattern of Australians being caught carrying ‘’significant quantities’’.

“Since late last year, several Australians have been arrested,’’ the source said.

The cases have concerned Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade so much that officials today issued a specific warning on the Smartraveller.gov.au website.

“Chinese laws mandate an immediate death sentence for serious drugs offences,’’ the source said.

“A number of foreigners have been arrested for allegedly trafficking illegal drugs. China has executed a number of people, including foreigners.’’

While no Australians have yet been executed, several are currently on charges awaiting trial. If convicted, ‘’it is conceivable’’ they would face the death penalty. Other foreign nationals have.

A government spokesman said all of the arrested Australians had been offered consular assistance and Foreign Minister Julie Bishop had been briefed.

The Australian Government is opposed in principle to capital punishment, but the source warned it was powerless to override or intervene in the judicial processes of other countries including China.

“There is very little scope for individuals convicted of serious drug offences to appeal for clemency or a pardon,’’ said the source.

The updated travel advice cautions people against carrying luggage or parcels in or out of China for others.

While there appeared to be a pattern of behaviour in the cases involving Australians, sources will not speculate on whether it involved a smuggling syndicate or if people were duped into being couriers.

Cont -

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/tr...055148859?nk=31bfa4c7f4fbdf752a57454d30290eb0

What a terrible fate. My suggestion to Australian drug dealers: stay in Australia! There's plenty of money to be made. It's not worth your life!

Why are aussies going to china for drugs? Learn from the USA, let your own gov't bring them in for you. :D but seriously China is so fucked up, murdering people for carrying drugs is so ridiculous its on the same level as executed people b/c they are witches or warlocks... good god people in power are so sadistic and fuck-tards its pathetic.

While I'm not sure if they were taking them in or out, I would hazard a guess that they were trying to take cheap drugs out. If that's the case, I think we all know the reasons why this happened, and I reckon we all know how it could be prevented.

If you can purchase something for $x in China and sell it for $xxxx in Australia (or many other countries), there will always be this kind of thing happening. It's definitely not worth your, or my life, but what about someone who believes they have nothing less to live for anyway?
Maybe like a minimum wage worker in one of the poorer economic countries in the world who could have been hired by an outrageously rich drug cartel do be a mule and party for a while while travelling the world in the meantime? Who could turn down an offer of 1,000 times their monthly living expenses for simply jumping on a couple of flights?

Unless we end the drug war, countless lives will be lost for no reason.