View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Australian pair accused of drug smuggling in Vietnam

poledriver

Bluelighter
Australian pair accused of drug smuggling in Vietnam

art-353-vietnam-300x0.jpg

The 3.5 kg of heroin that were seized by Ho Chi Minh City's customs officers. Photo: AFP

Two Australians have been arrested in Vietnam for heroin smuggling, police say, a crime punishable by death in the communist state.

The pair, who have not been named, were caught with 3.5 kilograms of heroin hidden in their luggage at Ho Chi Minh City airport, a policeman with the anti-drug squad said on Wednesday.

Further details about the suspects, aged 31 and 24, have not been released.

The heroin was hidden in 11 packages treated to avoid detection by sniffer dogs, the state-run Thanh Nien newspaper reported.

The Australian embassy in Hanoi did not respond to a request for comment.

Vietnam takes a hard line on drugs and anyone found guilty of attempting to smuggle more than 600 grams of heroin or cocaine can face the death penalty.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/aust...-in-vietnam-20131030-2whgp.html#ixzz2jEUDIC15

Two Australians arrested at Vietnam airport allegedly carrying 3.5kg of heroin

5059210-3x2-940x627.jpg

Leather straps allegedly containing heroin found in the luggage of two Australians at Vietnam's Ho Chi Minh Airport on October 30, 2013.

Two Australians have been arrested in Vietnam and accused of attempting to smuggle more than three kilograms of heroin.

According to state media, the two Australian nationals are accused of trafficking heroin in 11 packets weighing a total of 3.5 kilograms.

They were arrested at Ho Chi Minh Airport.

It is alleged that the drugs were found in hidden compartments in their luggage.

The suspects are said to be aged 24 and 31 years.

Their names have not been released, but they have been code named JNAJ and KCG by Vietnamese authorities.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade says it is aware of the case, and consular officials are working closely with local authorities.

The heroin packages had been treated to avoid detection by sniffer dogs, the state-run Thanh Nien newspaper reported.

Vietnam takes a hard line on drugs and anyone found guilty of attempting to smuggle more than 600 grams of heroin or cocaine can face the death penalty.

Convictions and sentences are revealed only by local media, which is strictly under state control.

Foreigners frequently fall foul of the nation's stiff drug laws.

In August this year, a Thai woman was sentenced to death for smuggling two kilos of cocaine.

The same week, a 31-year-old Nigerian man was sentenced to death for smuggling 3.4 kilos of methamphetamine from Qatar.

Vietnamese authorities have seized more than 24 kilos of drugs at Ho Chi Minh City airport this year, Thanh Nien said.

On Sunday a 26-year-old Chinese woman, identified as Li Chunying, was arrested with 2.2 kilos of methamphetamine.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-30/an-vietnam-arrests-australians-for-heroin-smuggling/5058960

I can't help but think that people who smuggle drugs in such strict countries are either:

A) incredibly stupid

B) being forced to do so by cartels threatening to kill their families

C) both A and B. (you gotta be stupid to get involved with cartels in the first place)

But I definitely feel for them. It's definitely very sad to hear things like this. :\

Veitnam is the last place I would ever want to be in such trouble. Hopefully the assuies can do something to help them.
I've never understood why they jump to 7 pounds worth of drugs in side the stuppidest of all thing leather straps..
Not that I'd do it in the first place but you could prolly get a nice personal stash back to the states if you were wise with your hiding. And never in the luggage.

I can't help but think that people who smuggle drugs in such strict countries are either:

A) incredibly stupid

B) being forced to do so by cartels threatening to kill their families

C) both A and B. (you gotta be stupid to get involved with cartels in the first place)

But I definitely feel for them. It's definitely very sad to hear things like this. :\

D) In massive financial debt, or plain greedy (and stupid)

E) Majorly drug addicted and not thinking straight

F) Mentally unwell (possibly related to ^ E as well)

G) On a death mission and don't give a fuck about your life, or care what your family and or friends think

H) Very gullible or naive (related to A)

I watched a few of those 'banged up abroad' shows last night, I've seen alot of them in the past, but I found 2 new ones I hadn't seen before, and whilst or after watching them I found it hard to believe how these 2 cases who were both in their late teens and early 20's were talked into taking part in such a large drug importation, both involved heroin and both these 2 females did it after knowing what they were doing and basically just wanted to get out of their current environment and earn some easy money and a free holiday. The way they both spoke about their ordeal was somewhat surreal, how easy and gullible they were when they accepted the deal and the all expenses paid trip to the two places they went to and were caught in. I guess in the two cases that I saw they were kind of lucky as they only ended up serving 2 years and 4 years in jail. But still 2-4 yrs banged up abroad sounded shit in the conditions and with the people they had to live with. They seemed to get off very lightly really compared to alot of cases to some of these asian countries, where some people are on death row or in jail for life.

The only time it's worth smuggling drugs is if it's already in your bloodstream.

I wash everything before I go to the airport , clothes , inside of suitcase , computer. I don't even want a whiff of bud to be detected. For some reason it's not considered sexual assault when a customs officer decides to stick a finger up your ass.

I can't stand looking at pictures of seized heroin. I just think about how if that could just be right in front of me how much better life would be.......

^ This is the third article I have come across this morning of the same bust, and it uses a third different pic again, this one is kind of weird as it says 11 parcels and clearly shows more than 11.

920075-6b181e86-412f-11e3-8308-a963aeaf7bd4.jpg

Facing death penalty ... Two Australians arrested at Hanoi's Tan Son Nhat International Airport for illegally trafficking 11 packs (3.5kg) of heroin. Picture: VNS Source: Supplied

Two Australians arrested in Vietnam for alleged heroin smuggling

VIETNAM has arrested two Australian citizens for heroin smuggling, police said today, a crime punishable by death in the communist state.

The pair, who have not been named, were caught with 3.5 kilograms of heroin in hidden compartments in their luggage at Ho Chi Minh City airport, a policeman with the anti-drug squad told AFP.

Further details about the suspects arrested in Vietnam, aged 31 and 24, have not been released.

EIGHT ARRESTED FOR PART IN GLOBAL HEROIN SYNDICATE

SOUTH AUSTRALIAN POLICE SMASH VIETNAM DRUG IMPORT RING

The heroin was hidden in 11 packages which had been treated to avoid detection by sniffer dogs, the state-run Thanh Nien newspaper reported.

The Australian embassy in Hanoi did not respond to a request for comment.

LIST OF AUSTRALIANS IMPRISONED, EXECUTED OVERSEAS

Convictions and sentences are revealed only by local media which is strictly under state control.

Foreigners frequently fall foul of the nation's stiff drug laws.

In August this year, a Thai woman was sentenced to death for smuggling two kilos of cocaine.

The same week, a 31-year-old Nigerian man was sentenced to death for smuggling 3.4 kilos of methamphetamine from Qatar.

Vietnamese authorities have seized more than 24 kilos of drugs at Ho Chi Minh City airport this year, the Thanh Nien daily said.

On Sunday, a 26-year-old Chinese woman, identified as Li Chunying, was arrested with 2.2 kilos of methamphetamine.

the parts in caps are links to other articles.

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/t...heroin-smuggling/story-fnh81fz8-1226749895974