• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

⫸STICKY⫷ Australian Opiate Withdrawal Maintainance Medication Prescribers

^ I should be a ward of the system, right now everyday is becoming like one bad acid trip...

Fuck it I need some codeine.

Dr Blatt - St Kilda - 03 95346183

Excellent Doctor, just don't think you can waltz in and get a script for your favourite benzo while on a pharmacotherapy program. He will never prescribe the two at the same time. Lot's of experience regarding addiction and treatment, in the early days of my treatment he was never harsh about relapse or drug replacement attempts.

good thread, i might try and get back on the bupe tomorrow.... i'm sick of this on and off routine it's doing my head in... hope i don't get in any trouble from being prescribed oxycodone on an authority script recently....this doctor thinks i'm an alcoholic with a saw knee .. well the saw knee is true;)

Great to see this thread. There's been some discussion of Turning Point, but thought you should add the following to the original post for anyone near Fitzroy in Melbourne:

Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre @ 54 Gertrude St, Fitzroy, Melbourne
For clinic appointments, referrals or information about clinical services at Turning Point, call the Intake Team between 9.30am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
Services include counselling, pharmacotherapy & needle/syringe exchange
T: 03 8413 8444
http://www.turningpoint.org.au/service_information/si_treatment.html

Drug and Alcohol Lecture Series

The drug and alcohol lecture series is a collaborative project between the University of Sydney and NSW Health. This lecture series covers core drug and alcohol topics and has been developed by leading experts. The series is directed towards GPs, students, nurses, and other healthcare workers.

* Overview
* Clinical Skills
* Neurobiology of Addiction
* Comorbidity
* Prescription and OTC Drug Misuse
* Alcohol - Part 1
* Alcohol - Part 2
* Smoking and Tobacco - Part 1
* Smoking and Tobacco - Part 2
* Opioids - Part 1
* Opioids - Part 2
* Cannabis
* Stimulants

New south Wales Prescribers List

Public Opiate treatment Clinics NSW Metro and Regional

Suburb................Clinic Name.................Phone
Dubbo. . . Arcacia Cottage 6841 5802
Bankstown. . . Bankstown OTP 9722 8293
Blacktown. . . Blacktown Hospital 9621 3600
Wollongong. . . Bungora Clinic 4228 1511
Canterbury. . . Canterbury clinic 9787 0272
Caringbah. . . Caringbah Clinic 9540 7702
Cessnock. . . Cessnock Clinic 49910461
Bathurst. . . Chifley Cottage 6339 5258
Coffs Harbour . . . Coffs Harbour Praxis 6656 7936
Campbeltown. . . Coopers Cottage 4634 4177
Parramatta. . . Fleet Street 9840 3888
Nepean. . . Gateway Clinic 4734 1340
St Leonards. . . Herbet Street Clinic 9926 7775
Kempsey. . . Kempsey Clinic 6562 6000
Darlinghurst. . . Kirkton Road Clinic 9360 2766
Kogarah. . . Kogarah Clinic 9350 2055
Gosford. . . Kullaroo Clinic 4320 2502
Nowra. . . Lamp 4422 7088
Surry Hills. . . Langton Clinic 9332 8715
Liverpool. . . Liverpool OTP 9828 4635
Newcastle. . . Newcastle Clinic 4923 2060
Orange. . . Orange Clinic 6392 8627
Darlinghurst. . . Rankin Court 9361 8030
Lismore. . . riverlands 6620 2244
Camperdown. . . RPAH Clinic 9515 7611
Manly. . . Sydney Road 9949 1099
Tamworth. . . Tamworth OTP 6767 8100
Canwell . . . Wyong Hospital 4934 8180

For help and support
The Methadone Advice and Complaints Service (MACS) is a confidential telephone service which provides information, advice and referral. It is a forum for methadone service or treatment complaints. The service is available Monday to Friday 9.30-5pm. Freecall: 1800 642 428.

NSW Methadone and the law
In NSW, methadone is classified as a prohibited drug. Penalties for the possession, trade, or manufacture of methadone range from $5,000 and/or 2 years in prison to a $500,000 fine and/or life imprisonment.

Only doctors authorised by the Director-General of Health can lawfully prescribe methadone. Unauthorised prescription also carries heavy penalties.

Further information and help
Alcohol and Drug Information Service (ADIS) is a 24 hour confidential telephone counselling service. Phone: (02) 9361 8000 or toll free: 1800 422 599.
Further information - Area Health Service Drug and Alcohol central intake telephone numbers
These centralised numbers are the first point of contact for people seeking assistance for drug and alcohol problems. Callers may be assessed by telephone and referred to relevant services within the Area. Centralised intake lines operate Monday to Friday during business hours.

Last edited:
I didn't know where else to post this seeing as the codeine thread that would pertain to it is gone but here goes...

So anyway I've been in treatment for a psychiatric disorder of some type with psychotic features and my drug use has come up as a topic of discussion, I went in to the HOT House in Brisbane today which is a service for youth and after talking to them about my codeine use and disclosing the amount I use (1.2 grams of codeine) they said that before they can treat me I should do an in-patient detox!

So I just thought I would put it out there to the heavier codeine users who may feel shy about getting help for their problem that the health services will take you seriously and help you out.

^did they want you to detox before treating you with bupe or methadone? or just so they could treat your other symptoms properly?

if they're only going to put you on ORT it's a little unusual they want you to detox - though it would make sense for a PM patient to detox as to assess the pain properly.

In australia they make you do a 5 day detox either in or outpatient, if you fail then they will consider long term ORT.

That is how I got on the program.

^is that through goverment funded programs or a private GP. it must change from place to place.

it just doesn't make sense to initially detox only to end up back on an opiate 5 days later:\

I went to a gov funded centre called waranilla and did 5 day out patient and failed, then they referred me to a youth centre for under 25s which had a bulk billing sub doctor.

He's really hard to get into but because I was in 4th year uni and they thought I had high potential for success one of the women there went out her way to call some people and bang some heads to get me in.

Generally the rule is 5 day detox either in or out patient, if that doesnt work long term ORT is the next step. If they think you will no doubt fail the 5 day detox then they can skip you, but they prefer to try it first.

^ It's not a requirement in Australia to fail at a detox in order to get onto opiate maintenance. Services that treat young people (aged under 25) would prefer it if they've at least attempted detox before putting them on maintenance. This is not a rule though, and someone with a significant habit and a high chance of relapse will be put on straight away. The service you went to might have it's own policy about this, but there is no requirement in Australia for someone to try a detox first.

The guy did mention ORT as a possibility, we didn't really discuss anything too much as he said the hospital will be calling me to talk about it.

Now that I've slept on it I'm not sure if I want to go into hospital again. :\

^ When the hospital calls I'll ask them what my options are, I was referred to the RBWH from this HOT House place, and I was referred to THAT place by my psychs and my case worker but everyone is very good about everything so I'm sure I could arrange to do an outpatient thing somewhere.

if you don't have the willpower out patient is pretty useless, if you want to get on ORT just do it so you can fail and then they will say that is the next option.

If you just want to quit temporarily or get your tolerance down I would give the inpatient detox a shot. Just take lots of books/magazines and a laptop even, I've heard its boring as hell.

^ I've been tossing up whether inpatient is a good idea or not, frankly I would like to get away for a few days and I do want to get my tolerance down. I do want to cut back on opioids in the future, but not right now sometimes they are the only things keeping me sane though I know my psychiatrists would disagree.

Do you think they have wireless internet in there? Ha ha