View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Australian navy makes $700m heroin bust off Tanzania

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
291888-e430494c-9067-11e3-85e9-380f5af7df8a.jpg

292985-e28a4caa-9067-11e3-85e9-380f5af7df8a.jpg

THE Australian navy has seized and destroyed 353kg of heroin with an estimated street value of more than $700 million in a mission off the coast of Tanzania.

HMAS Melbourne discovered the haul when crew boarded a vessel on Wednesday as part of a mission "in support of deterring terrorism and promoting peace and security in the maritime regions of the Middle East and Indian Ocean".

The navy said the material was tested and it returned a positive reading for heroin. A team from the frigate seized the drugs, took samples and destroyed the remainder.

Australian Commodore Daryl Bates said it was a blow for the funding of terrorist networks.

"Melbourne has once again demonstrated how beneficial Australia's commitment is to the Indian Ocean region and the fight against international terrorism and violent extremism," he said in a statement.

"During her time with Combined Maritime Forces, she has successfully disrupted a piracy attack, and conducted four successful narcotics seizures, seizing 23.8 kilogrammes of methamphetamines and now 353 kilogrammes of heroin.

"These seizures have severely impacted the funding network of those terrorist organisations that rely on these shipments for income."

Combined Maritime Forces is a multinational naval partnership, which exists to promote security, stability and prosperity across approximately 2.5 million square miles of international waters.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...ust-off-tanzania/story-e6frg8yo-1226821291917

That 360kgs of smack, I mean, 353kgs of smack could have found its way to my place. I would have looked after it.

Better use of naval resources than turning back boatloads of desperate refugees and torturing people for needing to use the toilet - which is how a considerable contingent of RAN personnel are currently spending their time to the south of Indonesia :(

Why the fuck are they pouring it into the fucking ocean?

Yeah that caught my eye. I didn't even bother with the story, I saw the amount and that was good enough for me but dumping it in the ocean... shit's not cool. I wonder how much flack they will catch for that pic.

If that's how they 'destroyed' all 353kg's then they've caused a massive impact on the ecosystem in the area. Doped out sea life all around, not to mention the withdrawals those poor animals will go through if not killed outright.

If that's how they 'destroyed' all 353kg's then they've caused a massive impact on the ecosystem in the area. Doped out sea life all around, not to mention the withdrawals those poor animals will go through if not killed outright.

Exactly my thoughts. I mean the term "destroyed" alludes to a more scientific approach than dumping it in the ocean. What a bunch of wanks. Well done destroying the sea life in the area.

One day when drugs are legal and this era of prohibition will be ridiculed and laughed at is when these "authority" figures will realize how worthless and pitiful their jobs really are.

Who did they just save here exactly? Oh, they stopped Terror funding? How about all the other 1000kgs/tonnes/god knows howmuch that "got away"? Why don't we just legalize it so the funding stops permanently, instead of relying on these wanks to do worthless seizures every once in a while?

Isn't $700m/360kg about 2k a gram? Do people pay this much for a gram in Australia? I knew prices were higher over there but damn!

Oh wait, they're probably including all the taxpayers money that went into seizing and 'destroying' it on top of that

I bet that was some high purity smack...i would have grabbed as much as i could have jumped in a life raft and abandoned ship lol. I wonder if any of them took off their respirator and accidently inhaled some caught blowing in the wind.

^^Seeing people dumping heroin like that just breaks my heart....It's like "noooo"...

I honestly doubt the sea life will actually be impacted much, but it's still disrespectful and ignorant to do….

700 million for 350 something kilos...Yeah, that's like 2 million a kilo! Australia always has the most outrageous figures for the value of their drug seizures! There's no way that could possibly be true!

Even accounting for "Australian prices", Around 70 million would be the most I could see...

Last edited:
353,000 grams of heroin. How would that equal 700 million dollars in i? Another bogus number in the war on people, I mean the war on drugs.

Drug war people dont ever seem to be that good with math.. but they are always good at padding the statistics to receive more funding.

^^Seeing people dumping heroin like that just breaks my heart....It's like "noooo"...

I honestly doubt the sea life will actually be impacted much, but it's still disrespectful and ignorant to do….

700 million for 350 something million kilos...Yeah, that's like 2 million a kilo! Australia always has the most outrageous figures for the value of their drug seizures! There's no way that could possibly be true!

Even accounting for "Australian prices", Around 70 million would be the most I could see...

If you stamped on it to death and maybe left a purity of 5 - 10% for every gram it could be worth 700mil... but that's really stretching it.

To the person wondering, its roughly $300 a gram here in oz for a g.

^ The part in BlueHues post I was wondering about is where he said 700 million for 350 something 'million' kilos….?

Anyway maybe they 'accidentally' aded another 0 and it should have been $70 mill.

They always inflate prices to the bullshit.

^They did say $700 million, and it was intentional...There's an Australian customs show that has seizures that are always equally inflated...

^ Yeah I know. I live here. lol..

350 million kilos was a mistake tho huh?

After seeing an article on how the expelled chemicals from waste plants affected fish in the area, this amount of heroin would definitely have an impact.