• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

(Australia) - Heroin use on the rise in Australia while ice takes the spotlight

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
While the ice epidemic has been making headlines across Australia, another hard drug is making a terrifying comeback.

An A Current Affair investigation has uncovered broad daylight drug deals on Russell Street - one of central Melbourne's busy shopping strips.

On Sunday night, police raided the area, along with several other locations across the city, due to growing concerns about the resurgence of heroin across Melbourne.

During Sunday's raids, police arrested an alleged drug king pin, along with five other people.

Staff at Sydney's supervised injecting room at Kings Cross have seen a 60 percent increase in the number of people using heroin in the past six months.

Family Drug Support Australia have reported the number of phone calls relating to heroin doubled in the past year.

"It's not just Sydney and Melbourne, it seems to be across the board. Western Australia, even some of the regional areas, are seeing an increase in heroin use," Family Drug Support Australia CEO Tony Trimingham said.

For Mr Trimingham, his attempts to get help for people in the grips of heroin addiction come from his own experience losing a loved one at the hands of heroin.

His son, Damian, was a school prefect and excelled at sport.

After a year-long battle with the drug, he died of a heroin overdose at 22.

"Anybody that loses a child knows how terrible it is, and how it never leaves you," Mr Trimingham said.

"When you lose them to drugs, with all the stigma and shame and community attitude, it is far worse because you can't really talk about it to people."

With the resurgence of heroin, calls for more safe injecting rooms across the country are growing.

Leading criminal barrister Robert Richter QC believes the rooms do not send the wrong message on drug use, in fact - he believes they have the opposite effect.

"There are times in an addicts life where they want to give up, and they need to have immediate access to proper counselling, proper referrals, and proper assistance - that they don't get on the streets," Mr Richter said.

Mr Richter is leading the calls for a safe injecting room in Melbourne.

"In Melbourne we definitely need one. It's not going to encourage people to take drugs, it's going to make it safer for people that do and it's also going to mean there aren't people down in your front yards shooting up or down laneways," he said.

"It just give people a safe medically supported place to do that and if they're going to do it anyway it may as well be in a safe place."

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...s-ice-takes-the-spotlight#z1scPXkWkVmzemMg.99

With heroin [ and other similar drugs of dependence ] the users are the losers , and those who are desperate enough to sell on the street are most likely to be just supporting their own habits , and living the typical junkie treadmill of a life of poverty and squalor .... such Current Affair revelations or police reactions are in no way doing anything realistic in combating the problem for they are only exposing or busting the losers at the bottom of the chain ...

Those who supply the drugs and make the bucks are rarely caught . The idiotic " drug war " and prohibition are a boon to these people for it creates a situation whereupon they can supply otherwise virtually worthless commodities at mega-inflated prices , while enjoying the protection of their position higher up in the distribution chain .

If we are to be serious about tackling the illicit drug trade we must reduce the profit motivation that is inherent with the prohibitions and illegal trade .... i.e : another approach is clearly necessary ; one that does not provide the incentive for trafficking .

Isn't heroin something ridiculous like $600-$800/gram in Australia? Sorry if it violates price discussion rules but I was just wondering about the estimate.

Isn't heroin something ridiculous like $600-$800/gram in Australia? Sorry if it violates price discussion rules but I was just wondering about the estimate.

$200 - 600 depending on the quality.

It's expensive compared to the US (although some of that is mitigated by assorted economic factors, and I suspect differences in purity), but in my experience it was always potent enough that it was as or more cost effective than the old 50c/mg price for morphine and oxy at the time. And those pharms now tend to go for $1/mg (give or take) from what I hear (I'm also told they're more scarce), increasing the cost effectiveness (which I suspect has something to do with the surge in heroin use, along with the saturation of the meth market).

eg. when I was buying from one source for $600/g, a 75mg shot of H would get me as high as a 120mg shot of oxy. So that's $45 for a shot of H compared to $60 for a shot of oxy (with a stronger rush, and a longer duration which meant I would have 3 - 4 shots a day, instead of 4 - 5 of oxy).

Last edited: