• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Australasian Amphetamines Conference 2006 (Sydney)

Haha 'made in Australia' pills would rock.

I missed this thread when it was circulating earlier, glad I've had time to read it, seems that Ice continues to be the flavour of the day for news companies. Although there is a lot of crap talking in these articles, I definitely agree on one point - it's more damaging than heroin. Methamphetamine is the only drug that I don't think should ever be legalised. My reasoning? This is the only drug I can think of where increased purity causes MORE problems.

EDIT:
Woot this was my 1000th post.

Pistachio said:
I can't help but think that is a good thing. Hopefully it will lead to an increase in pill quality and purity. Recent ecstacy busts around my area have only resulted in a substantial increase in heavily adultered pills, containing alot of methamphetamine, DXM, Ketamine etc

I disagree. 2 years ago you either had a strong pill (import) or a peice of absolute fuking crap (local represses). as more and more of it becomes locally made the need and the logic for importing pills will go away and with that the standard setting high dose pills that everyone remembers for years will stop coming in and then the average wil just be very AVERAGE. it is true though that adulterated pills *should* stop being used because it will be just as easy to use the real deal but yeh as a whole quality will just go downhill.

ive also noticed that in the last couple years that the quality of ice has changed alot. it used to come as (by todays standards) fuking cum in your pants good, huge 3cm rocks maaaan (import) or as wat the fuk is this shit tastes like detergent tell your dealer hes a kunt! (local/cut local or heavily cut import) these days theres alot more of it being made locally and i gotta tell ya.. Made in australia? we cook pies!! let the asians cook rice! how do we imagine to make anything close to the quality of the shit they pump out of 60kg/day factories! personally id prefer we fuked off all local production. yeh it might be harder to get and even a lil more expensive but id rather get really fuking nice stuff from time to time than expect to get something that "does the trick" at best. maybe things are different in nsw but in bris thats how it is and dont give me the its who u know speech lol

anywayz sorry for huge rant but ive just got back from a night making funny faces from wat is supposedly imported white tweety birds and just had a lil pipey :p

Heroin deaths down, 'ice' use up
October 08, 2006 06:06am
Article from: AAP

HEROIN related deaths, doses and presentations to hospital emergency rooms have dropped dramatically in the past six years, NSW Health Minister John Hatzistergos has said, acknowledging that the drug is less of a problem than the growing methamphetamine scourge.

New NSW Health figures suggest fewer people are addicted to heroin, Mr Hatzistergos has concluded.

"Last year there were 616 heroin-related presentations to hospital, a 66 per cent decrease compared to the 1854 recorded in 2000," the Minister said in a statement.

"In January to March 2006 there were only seven heroin-related deaths reported, a 92 per cent decrease compared with 89 deaths recorded in the same months in 2000."

Mr Hatzistergos said while the fall in heroin was encouraging, but the growing trend of methamphetamine use was concerning.

Last week the NSW government said two new clinics at a cost of $600,000 would open in Darlinghurst and Newcastle to treat ice addicts, he said.

News.com.au

Bundi said:
I disagree. 2 years ago you either had a strong pill (import) or a peice of absolute fuking crap (local represses). as more and more of it becomes locally made the need and the logic for importing pills will go away and with that the standard setting high dose pills that everyone remembers for years will stop coming in and then the average wil just be very AVERAGE. it is true though that adulterated pills *should* stop being used because it will be just as easy to use the real deal but yeh as a whole quality will just go downhill.

ive also noticed that in the last couple years that the quality of ice has changed alot. it used to come as (by todays standards) fuking cum in your pants good, huge 3cm rocks maaaan (import) or as wat the fuk is this shit tastes like detergent tell your dealer hes a kunt! (local/cut local or heavily cut import) these days theres alot more of it being made locally and i gotta tell ya.. Made in australia? we cook pies!! let the asians cook rice! how do we imagine to make anything close to the quality of the shit they pump out of 60kg/day factories! personally id prefer we fuked off all local production. yeh it might be harder to get and even a lil more expensive but id rather get really fuking nice stuff from time to time than expect to get something that "does the trick" at best. maybe things are different in nsw but in bris thats how it is and dont give me the its who u know speech lol

anywayz sorry for huge rant but ive just got back from a night making funny faces from wat is supposedly imported white tweety birds and just had a lil pipey :p

I see what you are saying, and you make some good points. Now I'm not sure weather local production would be good now that I consider your argument, but the current state of ecstacy quality is appaling. More important than local production would be a reduction in policing.

My best guess as to why there is so much adultered crap around these days is the substantial police crackdowns on the substance.

Urgent report on scourge of ice
Simon Kearney
October 09, 2006

AUSTRALIA'S peak illicit drugs body has ordered an urgent report on crystal methamphetamine, or ice, after admitting it had underestimated the "huge problem" with use of the drug until two weeks ago.

The report by the commonwealth's Australian National Council on Drugs will outline national policy options for the federal Government to tackle thedrug.

Council head John Herron, a former Coalition minister, told The Australian that a conference on amphetamines in Sydney a fortnight ago had proven to him the urgency and the size of the problem.

"There was a lot of debate as to whether there was a real problem with amphetamines. Till that was put together we didn't realise the real problem," he said. "It's a huge problem."

Dr Herron said the extent of ice use in Southeast Asia and the growing production levels in the region were also a grave concern.

He ordered a report to summarise the information delivered at the conference last week. The report will be delivered by the end of next month.

"There will be definite recommendations there, formal recommendations." Dr Herron said.

The increasing popularity of the drug has been described as a greater scourge than heroin.

Ambulance services around the country have reported that methamphetamine call-outs have overtaken heroin calls.

However, the council remains concerned about the lack of treatment options available for users.

The senior judge in NSW's drug court, Roger Dive, said the special court had seen more ice users over the past seven years and had been successful in getting them to give up the drug.

Judge Dive said the drug court's program for ice users concentrated on counselling and relapse prevention.

"We concentrate on that for those using speed and ice because pharmacotherapy isn't effective or available for them," he said. "They need a different plan."

Judge Dive said he would like to see the drug court's program, which is currently limited to southwest Sydney, expanded.

The program allows drug addicts to have jail time suspended while they undergo intensive counselling and treatment coupled with regular drug testing. If addicts fail to go clean, they get sent back to jail.

Judge Dive said studies had shown that the court's work was effective.

South Australian researchers have been successfully treating ice users with a drug usually prescribed for the sleep disorder narcolepsy and the medicinal amphetamine called dexamphetamine.

Researcher Jason White said the narcolepsy drug modafanil, which was designed to stop people falling asleep during the day, was "helpful" in treating amphetamine withdrawal.

An interim analysis of another study found dexamphetamine was useful for maintenance, in the same way methadone was used to keep heroin addicts from using the drug.

"It looks quite promising. There are decreases in the use of methamphetamine," Professor White said.

However, he said the studies were still far from definitive yet and drug approval processes could mean a treatment would not be available for several years.

In addition, there was no treatment for the sometimes violent psychosis that appeared to plague heavy ice users.

The Australian

I was at that conference too - the consistent message was that replacement therapy just isn't going to work for stimulant use in the same way that methadone, buprenorphine work for opiate use.

I'm not sure what conference John Herron went to - I didn't hear much catastrophising about meth from the people in the know.

Some interesting stats from NSW police on lab busts - 55 detected 05/06, with 34 using hypophosphorus method, 27 pseudoephedrine extraction, 4 P2P and 8 MDMA labs

Nice1 hoptis! :D You managed to find every meth related article published in Aus since this Ice hysteria hit town!
I saw as much footage of that conference as their was... why o why did Christopher Pyne have to start talking?! Every time he opens his mouth I just get more proof that he is totally insensitive, un-compassionate, arrogant and single minded! Can't wait till such a cold human being is no longer in charge of federal health! 8(

Did seem like a waste of time - except of course how much hysteria the media could whip up from it - those stats you mentioned ayjay are really interesting though. I didn't realise our local production was so high! 8 MD labs! And thats just the ones in NSW, and the ones they found!

The Australian, 12 October 2006, journalist Cameron Stewart

Scourge of the ice age

SOME walk stark naked into the emergency ward. Others throw furniture and abuse nursing staff, taking up to five people to restrain them. The quiet ones will sometimes sit banging their head repeatedly against the wall, oblivious to their blood pooling on the floor. When it comes to drug-induced psychosis, ice has earned a grim reputation for transforming rational office workers into raving lunatics.

Several years ago, such scenes were rare. The surge in amphetamine use in the early 2000s, following the heroin drought, did not leave the trail of mental psychosis that is now confronting medical workers across the country. But several years on, the synthetic drug boom is taking its toll, forcing the nation to confront the cost and look for answers.

No drug is causing more concern than crystal methamphetamine, known on the streets as ice, which claims more addicts across Australia than heroin. "The physical and mental manifestations of this drug are absolutely horrific: it has the potential to destroy generations," NSW Police Commissioner Ken Moroney says.

Ice has become the federal Government's primary target in the war against drugs, with a key frontbencher describing it as the nation's worst drug problem. Christopher Pyne, who as parliamentary secretary for health is responsible for drug policy, says ice is causing more community problems than heroin. "Ice is a scourge on Australian society," Pyne says. "It is, in our war on drugs, our first and No.1 enemy."

The head of the Australian National Council on Drugs, former Howard minister John Herron, who admits his organisation had underestimated the severity of the problem, will release a report with recommendations by the end of next month outlining national policy options for the federal Government to tackle the drug. The Government is planning a tough new advertising campaign specifically targeting the deadly addictive drug as part of a $37million plan announced in the 2006-07 budget to focus on amphetamines in general.

In the meantime, medical staff and police are in the firing line. Such is the violent, wild state of addicts who have overdosed on ice, NSW police will receive special instructions on how to deal with those under its destructive spell. Hospitals are also taking special precautions to ensure the safety of their employees in the face of the uncontrolled rage of some ice users.

Ice, or crystal methamphetamine, is a crystalline form of an illicit drug made from a variety of chemicals that are commonly available. The chief ingredient is pseudoephedrine, which is used in some cold and flu tablets. It is produced by reducing the ephedrine in a process that uses other commonly available chemicals but is often highly flammable and possibly explosive.

It has a street price of $400 a gram and is highly addictive. In a social setting, users smoke the crystals with a pipe. However, many regular users prefer to heat and dissolve the crystals and inject the drug intravenously. It enhances feelings of enjoyment but can lead to drug-induced psychosis, paranoia, delirium, anger and extreme random violence.

On Queensland's Gold Coast, where ice use is rampant, the main hospital puts ice victims in specially designed rooms with foam furniture. "They're paranoid, they're angry, they're delirious, they're disoriented and they can be psychotic," emergency department deputy director David Spain says. "There are specially designed rooms that we use. We have furniture that is made out of foam so they can't throw it at people or at windows or at the doors. The walls have been reinforced because they continually used to get broken by them putting their fists or their feet through them."

More than 100,000 Australians are thought to have used amphetamines in the past 12 months and more than 1000 are believed to have been hospitalised for mental or behavioural disorders. The surge in the use of ice has been known for years but only now is the nation confronting the medical, criminal and social fallout.

At the Australasian Amphetamine Conference in Sydney last month, the first national conference on amphetamine use, experts painted an alarming picture of the costs to the community of the ice age.

The conference findings shocked many, including Herron. "There was a lot of debate as to whether there was a real problem with amphetamines," he says. "(Until) that was put together we didn't realise the real problem: it's a huge problem."

There are no easy solutions to wean addicts off ice or to deal with their destructive psychotic tendencies. Unlike the amphetamine speed, which has a purity of 10 per cent to 20 per cent, crystal methamphetamine has a purity of about 80per cent. It can be smoked, snorted or injected and gives the user a quick and euphoric high, described as a feeling of invincibility. But the comedown from the drug, especially if used in large quantities, can be devastating. Depression, anxiety and sleeplessness are common.

In more extreme cases, psychosis takes over, stripping the user of rationality and control over their behaviour. The psychosis is rarely passive. Ice users who show no signs of violence in their normal lives can fly into a rage without warning.

This is proving to be a burden on the hospital system, which is ill-equipped to deal with the upsurge in violent patients in emergency departments. It is also proving to be a safety issue for a range of emergency workers, including ambulance drivers, who are often the first to come in contact with people suffering ice-induced rages. Police are finding themselves at the coalface of the ice problem, having to restrain violent users on a regular basis. Such is the effect on behaviour that courts are increasingly hearing about crimes committed by ice-abusers. So far, courts have rejected legal argument that being on ice exonerates a person from their crimes.

In July, Sydney financier Brendan McMahon was jailed for 16 months after he blamed his ice addiction for his behaviour in mutilating 17 rabbits and a guinea pig.

"Someone should not be allowed to commit such offences of aggravated cruelty on animals and then say, 'Well, I was using ice at the time, I've been taking cannabis most of my life and I'm sorry'," magistrate Ian Barnett told the court.

Last week a district court judge in Sydney was asked to decide if ice use had caused 28-year-old Canan Eken to bash and order the gang-rape of a teenager. For six months leading up to the assault, Eken said, he had been smoking up to 70 glass pipes of ice a day and claimed his behaviour was the result of a psychotic episode caused by the drug.

The scourge of ice is less tangible and obvious than heroin because it rarely claims the lives of those who overdose. Instead, it creates mental problems that can be long-lasting and debilitating for long-term users of the drug. Unlike heroin, there is no easily available drug to bring relief to ice addicts and wean them off it.

"The real challenge of this drug is that we don't have the treatment options available that we have for heroin and other drugs we encounter," says Gino Vumbaca, executive officer of the Australian National Council on Drugs. "And we are now seeing the problematic drug users coming through the system so we need to be addressing these problems. The (ANCD) will give concrete recommendations to the Government so we can say: 'This is the evidence, this is what we recommend."'

Nick Crofts, director of the Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre in Melbourne, says there are no easy answers to help ice addicts. "When you come to the phenomenon of amphetamine dependence, we don't have ready answers," he says. "You need psychiatric intervention, you need intensive psychological counselling and then there are a range of drugs useful for managing sleep deprivation and depression. It is a package."

The war against ice is complicated by not being confined to one spectrum of the community. The use of ice goes well beyond the party drug, celebrity scene characterised by Hollywood actor Robert Downey Jr, who has been arrested for possession of ice. It is commonly used by bus and truck drivers, taxi drivers and other night-shift workers to help them stay awake and alert.

Unlike heroin, which is largely a working-class drug, ice is also hugely popular among white-collar middle and upper-class professionals. "With heroin you find that generally the same sort of people use it but amphetamines are used by a very wide range of people," says Crofts. He says many of these white-collar ice users are less likely to admit they have a problem until they suffer some sort of psychotic episode. "There are not many alcohol and drug agencies that see people high on ice because many of those people don't tend to think that they have a drug problem so they don't seek treatment," Crofts says. "The places you see them in the acute stages are in emergency departments of hospitals."

Police are addressing the ice scourge by cracking down on suppliers and importers. In Australia the ice market is largely controlled by ethnic and bikie gangs, although in Melbourne the crime families involved in the recent underworld war were also big players. Most of the ice on the streets traditionally has been imported and the supply is plentiful because Asian nations have upped their production of the drug.

"In Asia, production has increased markedly. We cannot ignore what is happening globally, where there is a real shift towards methamphetamines," Vumbaca says.

But, increasingly, local suppliers are skating on to the ice market. According to the Australian Crime Commission, police detected 358 clandestine amphetamine laboratories in Australia last year compared with just 58 in 1996.

On these figures, police face a daunting challenge and hospitals and police across the country can expect to deal with a growing number of victims from the ice age.

Link to story: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20876,20564635-28737,00.html

I'd like to just comment on one piece of this story - the "more meth addicts than heroin addicts" claim. Currently, best estimates (NDARC) suggest that there are about twice as many people dependent on meth than dependent on heroin in Australia. But this number of meth dependent is actually about the same as the number of heroin dependent in the late 90s. Without this crucial bit of info, the inference is that meth is some demon drug with special properties. The reality is of course far more complex.

So yet again a piece of garbage journalism that adds nothing to the debate around drugs, but merely serves to reinforce myths and misunderstandings. Who needs the Herald Sun or the Tele when you can publish this shit in the Australian :X

^:X You said it man!! What a great waste of paper! That article had more loaded terms in it than the front page of saturdays Herald Sun... I thought the Australian had a bit more integrity than that.

The Government is planning a tough new advertising campaign specifically targeting the deadly addictive drug as part of a $37million plan announced in the 2006-07 budget to focus on amphetamines in general.
*FLUSH* such a "Tough" advetising campaign will solve all the problems, just like the last ones they did... fixed those problems good! 8)

Last edited: