• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Aus - Warning that Schoolies could be drugs hotbed as students ditch marijuana for ea

poledriver

Bluelighter
Warning that Schoolies could be drugs hotbed as students ditch marijuana for easy-to-get ice

GOLD Coast high school students are ditching marijuana and opting for Ice as their drug of choice.

Michael Barrett, chief executive of Transformations rehabilitation centre in Surfers Paradise, warned Ice had become rampant in local schools and this did not bode well for Schoolies.

“It’s not long until kids start flooding in to the Gold Coast and this stuff is going to be offered to them,” he said.

f8d84367aa221615f2d44b7ebcce7560

“Unfortunately, Ice is cheap and easily accessible,” he said. “Ten years ago, marijuana was a problem in high schools but it has been replaced by Ice because now it can also be smoked.”

Mr Barrett said he was receiving an increase in calls from state high schools struggling with Ice use among their students.

“It’s so easily accessible, even for kids. It can cost as little as $10 for a hit but then their tolerance to the drug goes up, so they need more and more to get a hit,” he said.

“Schools are telling us their drug awareness programs are not working at the moment. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ice is also in our private schools.

8c0b064d6ff621732b0e3cad18725a40

Ice has become a popular drug of choice.

“They tell us their students really need to hear from someone who has used Ice so we take our program graduates in to the schools to share their stories.”

Mr Barrett said he was also seeing an alarming number of young people seeking help from Transformations for Ice addiction.

“They are getting younger and younger,” he said. “We are seeing 16 and 17-year-olds who have been on it for a few years and want to get into our program.”

He said the fact that Ice no longer had to be injected but could also be smoked made it seem more acceptable to teenagers.

“When cocaine became crack cocaine, it became more accessible and addictive. The same applies to methamphetamines, which no longer have to be injected, so its seen as not so bad by young people.”

a8e165d8dd5844649c2eeb74776c787a

Ice is now more popular than pot. Picture: RICHARD JUPE

Mr Barrett warned that the mental health issues caused by Ice addiction were far worse than those linked to any other drug.

“We are seeing an increase in shootings of psychotic addicts, who are out of control and going at police with weapons. It’s very sad to see.”

Transformations have a 75 per cent success rate and its programs are full most of the year.

However, it has had its fair share of problems, as highlighted by an incident a few weeks ago.

“A guy who was in our program, left and came back high on ice was waving a gun around in our church,” Mr Barrett said.

“He was threatening everybody and it took the police 30 minutes to get here. During that time, we tried to calm him down but someone could have been shot.”

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...e/news-story/7f5cca8ca0283959a9f150310aa11e91

Ice is now more popular than pot.

I highly doubt that is correct.

If it is, our government is partly to blame with their ongoing war on weed. Continuing with cannabis prohibition even though it is so much relatively safer to use than many other drugs is plain stupidity. Adults should be allowed to choose to buy and consume it if they wish. Since cannabis takes so long to clear through a person for drug tests some people would be choosing to use meth or xtc instead of weed now I guess so as they would pass a drug test faster. With ever increasing drug tests for drivers and in the work place (and now for welfare) I think this is a real concern. Weed should be taken out of the equation of saliva testing, until they can find a way of testing for very immediate recent use. None of this picking up use from many days earlier shit.

So much misinformation.

Anyways yes...imagine if the kids could buy pot legally....they wouldn't know any drug dealers offering them ice then would they?

“It’s so easily accessible, even for kids. It can cost as little as $10 for a hit but then their tolerance to the drug goes up, so they need more and more to get a hit,” he said.

Afaik it's like 50 bucks a point. It's not really cheap in my books. I guess some kids have access to more money than others though. Weed is like 15 or 20 bucks a gram, seems much more affordable.

Kids, or schoolies who are 16/17/18 can get weed or ice from dealers, along with any other types of drugs, but when they turn 18 it's then legal to buy and consume alcohol or tobacco here. It's 18 country wide in Aus. So yeah I think legal weed is a good idea, and relaxing the testing on weed.

Kids will experiment with drugs, we all did, and it will always happen. I dont think being hard on weed is a good idea personally.

I think I have read that places with legal weed in the US have seen teen weed use drop. Not sure how true that is though.

Iirc in the Netherlands with the advent of the cafe system adolescent use went up a tad, but was still lower than the usage average among other adolescent European populations. I wouldn't be surprised if the use of cannabis were to go up a tad, but it's unlikely it would be particularly significant. It could just as well mean less kids are getting drunk or using other drugs, switching to cannabis instead.

I don't see how taking drugs and drug money out of the criminals' hands is ever a bad thing though.

I look forward to the time where people look back on our era as fools for thinking that we could control the use of mind altering substances. There is a huge marijuana problem, the problem is people can't get marijuana

Also, am I the only one who thought that the ice in those photos looks a lot like rice? =D

Haha at first I thought it was ice disguised in fried rice for smuggling purposes! Don't anyone go getting any ideas now ;)

They put the same article out every year around this time. They just change what drug to be worried about.